Zeeland to Antwerp help please!!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
freerider

Zeeland to Antwerp help please!!!

Post by freerider »

Good evening all,

I am about to embark on my first cycle tour (very excited!) over the easter weekend starting at Dunkirk, via bruges to breskens. then boat across to vlissingen looping back to antwerp.

I think I am pretty much ready to go but am struggling to find a map that covers the part of the route from Vlissingen to Antwerp. Would anybody on here be able to suggest an appropriate map?

Also if anybody has any must see thing to do along my route I would be appreciative of all recommendations.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Craig
foxyrider

Re: Zeeland to Antwerp help please!!!

Post by foxyrider »

Yellow series Michelin should get you round without getting lost :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Do make sure you have a decent map of Dunkirk, the signposting around there is terrible and the port is laid out in numbered blocks which make little sense of anyone. If you see a signpost to a town, any town!, head there and then follow the map from there.

If I were you I would stick to the coast all the way to Holland because it is flat and glorious, following either the sea or the canal. Just dip in and out to Bruges, don't to a large inland arch....

Around Antwerp is very busy, car wise so be careful and remember for the entire way, if there is a cycle path YOU HAVE TO USE IT BY LAW - if you don't, cars will be very unkind to you.

There are loads of maps available to buy in Belgium. Look out for a FNAC in Ostande.

Have a good time. It's very flat....and normally windy!
pal

Post by pal »

You could use either the Belgian Sportoena maps or the Dutch ANWB cycle maps (I think sheet 9 in the 1:100,000 series covers both the the Dutch and Belgian sides of the border). The Map Shop (http://www.themapshop.co.uk/) have all these in stock, and would also be able to advise on which sheets cover the areas you need: they're very helpful. Have a good trip!
freerider

Post by freerider »

Thank you very much for all of your help guys!
Just put a set of new tyres on and think I am just about ready to go :) Just have to plod through a week of work now!

In case anyone is interested I think we are going to go along the coast to Ostende on day 1 and camp there. Then a little ride along the ostende bruges canal day 2 allowing plenty of time to sample those belgian beers i've heard about. break into holland on day three maybe camp near middelburg. and day 4 into Antwerp. Might get the train for the last bit into the city if its busy.

Thanks for the heads up re. compulsory bike lanes!!!!