A long shot, but just perhaps - Tel Aviv

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
UncleChris

A long shot, but just perhaps - Tel Aviv

Post by UncleChris »

I'm putting this in the touring section in spite of it being a day ride, but its expeditionary (to me anyway) nature means it fits better here I think!

In late June I'll have a spare day in Tel Aviv so I thought I'd hire a bike. Any good day routes anyone can recommend? Looking briefly at Google maps it seems quiet roads are in pretty short supply, but if anyone knows better...

My only requirement is that it needs to be a circular route, 40-50 miles perhaps (it will be boiling hot), not too fussed about piling on miles, or at a stretch culminate in a short train journey back to Tel Aviv assuming they let you on the trains with a bike. I haven't researched that yet. I suppose a nice little town to have a beer and a bite to eat on the way round would be good too. Anything at all would be really useful folks, thanks.
Jonny Deezil

Re: A long shot, but just perhaps - Tel Aviv

Post by Jonny Deezil »

Bring your helmet along, they are quite strict about this. You may seriously want to consider hiring a Segway, this you will enjoy and the local kids will think you are megacool and high five you everywhere. Best place to consider renting a Segway or even a bicycle from are the excellent peops located in the newish Tel-Aviv port. I left my cellphone behind in their offices and they repatriated it back to me before I even knew it was missing! Sadly dont have their exact location but its behind the main entertainment promenade of port.

But I digress. With a bike it is a great ride along the coast either south or north. The Israel National trail along the coast all the way past the Sde Dov airfield onwards to Netanya. From Jaffa all the way along the coast towards Netanya will net you about 20 miles then another 20 miles back.

Southerly direction along the beach (do stop at the Banana bar for a 30 shek beer, awesome sunsets and great music) towards Jaffa (alighting here could lose you a whole day alone with the sights). With many places to stop for cafe chazak + boreksim. Perhaps also towards Jaffa along the coast be sure to stop at Abulafias by the clocktower. On Shabbos I always head down here and grab a dozen pitas with hummus. Also is a place called Abu Nassans in Jaffa for superior Techina + Hummus variations of magic. You may have to ask around for directions, its easy!

Below is a cursory best 5 of Tel Aviv cuisine:

http://www.marilynjosephine.com/baking/ ... op-5-food/

On a totally unrelated note, I will direct you towards a link of several routes these two guys did across the whole of Israel skillfully avoiding Tel-Aviv:

http://msctisrael.wordpress.com/map/

Variations of what these guys have cycled is certainly worth consideration and on my to do list.

Enjoy the one day free you have in Tel-Aviv!

:D :D :D

Victor
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

I had a afternoon and evening in Tel Aviv. The local boris bike equivalents were great. https://www.tel-o-fun.co.il/en/ there are loads of cycle paths and I managed to do more than 20 miles along the coast then inland through sone parkland. I didn't wear a helmet either and wasnt aware you needed to.
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

A quick search seems to confirm that adults don't need to wear a helmet
UncleChris

Post by UncleChris »

Really useful folks, thanks. The city hire scheme looks ideal for my needs that day. I'll risk it without a helmet!