BSO's......not necessarily all that bad

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

BSO's......not necessarily all that bad

Post by Vantage »

So today my girlfriend, her dad and I drove to Decathlon to buy her a bike. She'd been talking about getting one ever since we met 6 months ago so I've been gently nudging her to go through with it ever since. Her last bike some 10+ years ago was a rust bitten hunk of junk and had pretty much put her off cycling for good unsurprisingly.
She was all set to buy a full suspension mountain bike complete with a snazzy paint job for the bargain price of £109.99 when I promptly told her that would be over my dead body and explained why.
Today's wonder machine was had for £180, a decathlon original 3. Not quite super bike status but better than utter pile of ****. The shop assistant offered her the next model up for £30 more boasting it had a gel saddle, an alloy frame and bouncy forks and stating that the gel saddle alone was worth £29! Wow! Those forks must be awesome! She took one look at me, noted my expression and politely declined this super offer.
The three of us agreed that eventually she'll need a rack and panniers and a stand. She and her dad went to look those over and I offered to go get the spare inner tubes which despite me not checking were clearly 700 x 40c. Pam asked if I had the right size and I told her I knew what I was doing before pointing out the clear as a bell 26 x 1.75 markings on the tyre. After watching her dad almost die laughing and recovering from the thump on the shoulder she gave me I trundled off to get the right size tubes :D
Upon getting home and looking it over for her, she took it for a spin round the block to get used to the gears and make sure we'd set it up right then the pair of us took a ride to asda for some shopping. 2-3 miles maybe and despite cold horrible weather, she had a smile a mile wide the whole way :)
She's been talking about cycling to work a few nights a week, rides with the kids and her dad and me and generally seems happy with her new bike.
A good day all round methinks :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
LollyKat

Re: BSO's......not necessarily all that bad

Post by LollyKat »

Well done - may she have many happy hours on it! :)
karlt

Post by karlt »

A £180 Decathlon bike is not a BSO. A £75 Dunlop full suss from Sports Direct is a BSO. Sometimes with the forks on back to front at no added cost.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Decathlons bikes are excellent. They don't sell BSOs as far as I know. They sell so many all over Europe their prices are way lower than brands where you are paying for oodles of marketing, not quality components.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I have to admit, hi-tensile steel frame aside, the components on it don't appear to be too bad. The nice big tyres look far more comfy than mine :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Good move! Glad we have another cyclist in our midst,who thanks to sensible advice, might just be encouraged to keep riding!