Retorts

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hexhome

Re: Retorts

Post by hexhome »

paulcuthbert wrote: as the car STILL should give at LEAST a car's width, and thus be overtaking in the other lane.

Is this true or even realistic? It's not what the Highway Code says!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

hexhome wrote:
paulcuthbert wrote: as the car STILL should give at LEAST a car's width, and thus be overtaking in the other lane.

Is this true or even realistic? It's not what the Highway Code says!

Yes it is (well it doesn't mention "other lane", but the accompanying picture demonstrates using it for most of the vehicle, I'd prefer the picture to be clearer and show it over the white lines...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

'give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car'

I can see a problem with this, in that does it mean as much clearance between the edge of the cyclist and your car as you would between your car and a car you're overtaking, or does it mean pretend the cyclist is as wide as a car and drive around the imaginary shape, in which case, where within that shape is the cyclist, as if they're in primary they could be on the right hand side of it.

A rule stating give X metres clearance would be clearer.
Sumptero

Post by Sumptero »

I often used to say things back, or try to think of things to say anyway. There is no two-way communication going on when people shout at you out the window of a car. Just continue cycling and think about something else. It is your actions that matter.