Shimano SPD Sandals - size question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Shimano SPD Sandals - size question

Post by 22camels »

So I've gone clipless and got the Shimano SD66 sandals (the newest 2-strap model) considered by many to be the ultimate all-weather touring shoe.. However I am worried I got the wrong size. I take UK size 10.5 or 11 (11.5 for running shoes) so I went for the 45-46, thinking the next one up 47-48 would be too big. Unfortunately these sandals skip every second European size..

When they arrived they felt great - perhaps a little too small lengthwise as my toes were only 1-2 mm's away from the front edge.. but feel wise, width wise, perfect, very adjustable, with socks and without. I was so sure they were the right size I decided to keep them, so whilst I've hardly used them they don't look so fresh out of the box that I can just send them back..

Now having walked around in them a bit more, it seems either my left foot is slightly longer than my right or somehow it's lodged itself further forward in the shoe. So some of my left toes are actually going over the front edge, the 90' angle that is.. only by 1-2 mm's but it's especially noticeable when I am walking. Obviously it's even more noticeable with a sock. I've tried tightening the straps so my foot doesn't slide forward as much but it doesn't help, besides I might want the straps loose at times.

This does not happen when I am cycling, only when I am walking. I can get used to it, but I am thinking of using these as my only pair of shoes on a tour, and I will want to spend many a rest day walking around in them. I am really concerned it will get uncomfortable and I will start to get blisters if I walk around in them for a whole day.

I am about to order the next size up to see how it feels, but I am hesitant, because skipping two European sizes to 47-48, it will feel much looser, so whilst my toes won't hang off the edge, there could be other walking comfort issues usually associated with loose shoes, plus for cycling, I am just learning how to clip in and out of SPD pedals, and it seems it might be a bit awkward if your shoes are on too loose.. (I have the Shimano A530 pedals though thinking of switching to Time Atac's).

Has anyone tried two consecutive sizes of this sandal for comparison? Is there an issue if the fit is too loose? I mean both with walking and with cycling.

(or perhaps if anyone has a suggestion for a DIY extension of the edge/lip at the front of the sandal :) ?!)
bikepacker

Re: Shimano SPD Sandals - size question

Post by bikepacker »

As I have many times previously posted I have used sandals exclusively for all year round riding. Usually bare footed when warm enough and with Sealskinz socks in Winter. I have mainly used Shimano 47-48 size which I find to be the most comfortable fit. However at Mildenhall a few years back I purchased some Lake's the same size. They were considerably smaller and it took a while to get use to them but they were okay but did not wear as well as the Shimano.

Based on this my advice to you would be to ride in them for a while because unlike shoes sandals don't restrict foot movement like tight shoes and I think you will get use to them.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Right, that is what I thought too but my left toes are actually touching the angle at the front edge of the sandal. Here is a good picture of how they should fit
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews ... pic_494709
My feet are slightly longer than the ones in the top right.

I already feel silly enough with cleats scraping asphalt (switching to Time Atac's should help though) and with the socks 'n' sandals thing, those two I can live with because it's an extremely practical setup, but I am just concerned that walking in them all day will get unpleasant. I am wondering whether to go one size up.

Btw I also tried some Lake sandals - the closed "I/O SPD" ones (I heard they have an open model too?) but felt they were just too hot.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The Lake sandals I have are open with two narrow straps much narrower than Shimano. My web title page shows me wearing my preferred Shimano sandals.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

I'm going to put a vote in for the exustar sandals. They are more closed in than the shimanos, but I've always struggled to get shimanos that fit me, whereas the exustar ones are perfect
horizon

Post by horizon »

22camels: I do feel for you. I bought both sizes as I was in between. In the end I chose to travel with the smaller pair 45-46 and not the 47-48. I think for the price Shimano ought to do half sizes - it's a big jump in size. Unless they are uncomfortable, I would go with them - the smaller pair were fine for me in the end. But that's because, as bikepacker says, they are sandals not shoes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I too feel for you camels

Pity you have such big plates or we could have done a swap - I was looking for one for a pair of virtually never used Shimano sandals I have.

They really should do proper single-step (not half as you say horizon) sizes - I guess they think they are too much of a minority interest to justify normal sizing but that seems to me to be short sighted marketing - after all they could keep the same design for years to avoid massive overstock problems. Or maybe not short-sighted - the world these days seems to be powered by continuous sometimes pointless change.

I can see an opening for special corrective socks designed to compensate for wonky Shimano sandal sizing but styled so that it's not clear to casual observers that you are - horror of horrors - wearing socks.

Of course then they would look like shoes :)
Sweep
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I can happily report that after 2 weeks field testing the Shimano sandals cycling as well as lots of walking about doing 'normal' things that they are great. The issue I was concerned about didn't bother me at all. Glad I stuck with this size, the next one up may well have been too loose.

The whole clipless thing is awesome too, was really quick to get the hang of (once I'd figured out I have to twist the back of my foot outwards not the front!) and although I think the power on the upstroke is negligible, it's all about the greater control which translates into more efficient pedalling. Though using Shimano sandals with the flat side of dual sided pedals like the A530's, which I very rarely felt the need to do, gives a bit of a misleading impression of this advantage as I am sure there are more grippy flat pedal+shoe combinations out there.

I was so comfortable with the setup that I swore I wasn't going to have a 'beginner clipless moment', but come it did, and twice.. not the classic forgetting to clip out at the traffic lights, but just plain indecision - I was cruising along the pavement having had breakfast in a park in the Italian town of Monfalcone early on a Sunday morning, thinking which way to rejoin the traffic at a roundabout and was unsure whether to go left or right or to follow the pedestrian crossing, and was going so slowly that I lost balance and ended up looking like a right *** (insert favourite word). Fortunately the only witness was an elderly gentleman who was too polite to laugh. The second time was on quite a busy and fast road up in the mountains where I tried to stop in the shoulder to adjust something, but thought I could do it by unclipping only one foot, somehow this didn't work and I ended up toppling over - fortunately the bulk of me and the bike stayed the right side of the shoulder white line. It took a good ten seconds to disentangle my other foot, by this time a van had stopped in front of me to ask if I was ok, and again they were too polite to laugh. So two good lessons there negotiated in the safest possible way.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Great feedback 22camels! And a good laugh too (I'm not polite like your other on-lookers :D )
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have no idea how good these are and have not used the seller but seemed the best place to post it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lake-I-O-SPD- ... 1189895759

Big feet only.
Sweep
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I actually tried these Lake sandals as well, in size 47 you can still get them on Tredz (easy returns) for the same discount price http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lake-I-O-SPD-Cy ... _69134.htm

They were pretty decent but I just thought they would have easily got hot and sweaty in hot/humid conditions compared to the open toe Shimano sandals. The Shimano ones are also a lot easier to wash as there is less material to dry.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Just noticed your ebay link is the Tredz ebay shop.. so same thing (except they seem to have size 45 too)..
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

well mr cames, I think you've persuaded me.

I need to get a pair of the Shimanos in size 42 - the bigger pair I have I can wear with thick socks/two pairs of socks after dark.
Sweep
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Sweep wrote:well mr cames, I think you've persuaded me.

I need to get a pair of the Shimanos in size 42 - the bigger pair I have I can wear with thick socks/two pairs of socks after dark.

I'm sure you won't regret it - me and Mrs bikes4two have done thousands in our Shimano sandals - we love them :)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey