Bikeroutetoaster is Back!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeeKeeper

Bikeroutetoaster is Back!

Post by BeeKeeper »

Bikeroutetoaster is back and significantly re-vamped by the look of it, at least in terms of appearance. Not sure if there are any new features. However, I am not sure it is completely sorted as the home page just freezes if I access it from my Nexus tablet, but from a PC it seems to be fine although I haven't had time to play with it much yet. But I logged in and all my old routes are still there so that's OK.

Of course, only the truly enlightened will understand the significance of this event!

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com
BeeKeeper

Re: Bikeroutetoaster is Back!

Post by BeeKeeper »

Just been playing with it and discovered it doesn't seem to use Google maps anymore. Not sure if this is progress. Need to get used to it I suppose.

You can however, edit the tracks once they are made. This wasn't available in the old version I think, or if it did it didn't work very well as I never used it.

It now has a useful gradient feature. Check the box and it shows the % gradient on the route - ideal for avoiding those nasty hills.

But, and it's a big but, I can't see how to link to a route so you can easily display it here on the Forum, which was one of the previous version's most useful features. Hmm...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

BeeKeeper wrote:Just been playing with it and discovered it doesn't seem to use Google maps anymore.

It seems to be using OpenStreetmap, which puts BRT on a par with a variety of alternatives as far as the maps go, leaving just interface differences. I use cycle.travel these days, though I expect my requirements differ from yours.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

This is a relief to hear as I'd planned and saved most of my daily routes for next summer and was starting to think I'd have to re-plan them all with another system to get the gpx files! Will have to have a play and see what the new interface is like :)
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I sent feedback to the site yesterday about the application freezing on my tablet and got a reply today. Apparently the new interface does not work well on touch screens but a tablet-specific version is planned for later.

I have also asked today if it will be possible to link to routes and post the link on, for example, this forum, as you could on the older version. Will see what they say.
stevemb

Post by stevemb »

Doesn't work with Ipad Air. Doesn't respond to the touch screen when trying to input a point on the map.
Hopefully the later update sorts it as I don't want to take a notebook as well when touring
barneybear69

Post by barneybear69 »

Yup, It's back after a long absence but the lack of Google maps and the route specific link are 2 big downsides.

On the plus side, all the routes I'd plotted over the past 4 years including my lejog are still there :-)
2016 Mallorca touring htttp://www.mallorcacycletouring.co.uk

2011 Lands End to John O'Groats http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper C2C http://purplechopper.co.uk

Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Restored Raleigh Chopper MK2 (1974)
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Since my original post I have found you can still find the web link to a route. It is in the window in the bottom right hand corner below the route name.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

Does anyone know how you can maximise the Maps window? I can't seem to make it any bigger.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

You can move the other windows around except for the ad window. If you drag the two sections on the right over to the one top left you can then drag the divider on the right of the map all the way across to the right side of the screen. I haven't tried it but I'm guessing you could also combine the elevation and map tabs and drag the bottom of the map section down too to make it bigger ^_^
albal1

Post by albal1 »

downloaded a few routes onto garmin, but when attempt last time got;error message, dont know why?
puffin

Post by puffin »

Can anyone show me how I can share my routes with another person? Thanks in advance for any help.