Wearing a camera

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Wearing a camera

Post by thirdcrank »

Graham wrote:If I could get hold of a hi-vis vest printed, on the back, with
"Camera Running"
or
"Camera On"

I would certainly wear it. . . . . even though I don't carry a cam when riding !

Beware of dyslexic drivers. :shock: There are plenty of people who would relish the opportunity to abuse the prime minister (or worse.)
:wink:
Graham

Post by Graham »

:lol: Ta for the warning. It reminds me of a cycling jersey that I bought about 20 years ago.

It was advertising a european washing machine manufacturer FAGOR.

It was a rather nice design, but the number of people shouting out something a bit different put me off wearing it.

140212Fagor.jpg
140212Fagor.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Last edited by Graham on 12 Feb 2014, 12:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Final comment reconsidered and removed.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Well it seems transport authorities are not against wearing cameras. Not with reminders like this :)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

gaz wrote:If fitting a camera makes motorists think twice about close overtakes why is their so much camera footage of close overtakes? :?

If your camera makes such a difference to the behaviour of other road users why are you seeing more RLJing cyclists? :wink:

Since getting my helmet cam, I note that drivers tend to give me a wide berth :D
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

patricktaylor wrote:I think the judge's wig idea is better. All cyclists who don't have long blonde hair should wear a judge's wig.

Brilliant!
tandemtim

Post by tandemtim »

Have just seen the interesting thread about cycle cameras in this months Cycle mag and coincidentally, having been thinking about getting a camera for either my solo road bike or our tandem (my wife is always squeaking as cars overtake too closely) I have just ordered a Fly6 rear facing camera with incorporated rear light. I saw this on the weekly London Cyclist email blog; see http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/fly6- ... ht-review/ and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... l-light-co
Unlike the Fly6 reviews I think it will be a long time till UK drivers recognise that they are being video'd, especially from the rear of a bike so I was thinking about getting a cycling jersey overprinted with something along the lines of "Smile - you are on camera". Do you think that this would be a good idea or would it just intensify driver road rage against cyclists?
RickH

Post by RickH »

tandemtim wrote:...I was thinking about getting a cycling jersey overprinted with something along the lines of "Smile - you are on camera". Do you think that this would be a good idea or would it just intensify driver road rage against cyclists?

You could always have the "standard" CCTV warning on your jersey (or a sign on the back of your bag/bike).
(image linked from this page.)

Possibly more effective than the camera itself :twisted: - I've heard it said that the alarm box on a house is a bigger deterrent than the alarm system itself.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I tend to go for being discrete which is why I put off replacing my torch-like cameras for so long - I won't be upgrading my rear camera until I've come up with a DIY housing.
Though I have long thought I need to come up with a number plate and "YOU TUBE" is one of the options ...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Graham wrote:It was advertising a european washing machine manufacturer FAGOR.
Plenty of precedent for that sort of mishap. When Mitsubishi brought in their 4x4 called the 'Pajero', they may not have appreciated what the word means in Spanish*. And there was a similar mix-up (slightly less obscene) with the Vauxhall Nova**.

Happily that sort of thing doesn't tend to happen so much with bikes and bike kit. Perhaps because the marketing guys have plenty of foreign language experience, and do their homework!

I often wonder why, as has been reported, the DVLA refused to sanction car registrations beginning with "SN07...". After all, the word it suggests is hardly the grossest obscenity in the English language.

* Put politely, I suppose it means 'someone who pleasures himself'. The English equivalent is what cyclists get called by angry motorists, and vice versa, rather a lot. :evil:
** "Doesn't Go!"
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).