IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tucker

IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Post by tucker »

Has anyone cycled the Iron Curtain Route,I am wanting to do the section from Germany, Poland, Estonia etc to St. Petersburg next year, I know Bikeline do a guide but I want to know the condition of the paths etc, asphalt , gravel or dirt tracks.
foxyrider

Re: IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Post by foxyrider »

Did a short stretch in Germany last year which was a mixture of tarmac and forest road with a pretty difficult surface to climb on! (i never walk and i had to on this trail!) This was on the Thuringen/Bavaria stretch west of Hof

I might have just hit a bad section but the Bikeline Guide indicates long stretches of similar trail - it might improve in areas that are more used i guess.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

OK you've probably already looked at the official site, but it does have a fairly detailed description and maps. I'll post the links here, just in case you haven't seen them (and other people may be interested):

- Northern section
- section through Germany
- southern section

- Brochure (pdf)
- not very detailed map

You could order the Bikeline guides from Amazon and return them if you decide not to do the route.
bidi

Post by bidi »

Thanks — what a fantastic route!

I'm leaving next year for a 5 year round-the-world cycle adventure and happily waste a great deal of time poring over maps and world atlases planning routes. I've been looking for a 'meaningful' way to begin the journey and this Iron Curtain Trail really intrigues me. The route appears new, there's not much information about it on the 'web and so far I've not found any reference to anyone who's cycled it from end to end. I want to!

Can't believe I've never heard of this route before. Thank heavens for the internet!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
spicerack

Post by spicerack »

I love the Eurovelo scheme and have been dreaming about the Iron Curtain Trail for a few years. It looks like there has been some progress lately, but does anyone know how well all the sections meet up or how much is signed? I guess I should buy the guides if I really want to know.