Quick piece of route advice (A82)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
KazzyTI

Quick piece of route advice (A82)

Post by KazzyTI »

Hi guys, first time poster but been browsing for quite some time.

The question I have is about the A82 from Fort Augustus to Inverness. Google puts the route at 34.5 miles but the time taken would be 4 hours and 56 minutes. Alternatively the B862 is longer at 34.9 miles but is estimated to take over an hour less at 3 hours 53 minutes.

Has anyone any idea why there is such a big difference in the time? I've got no experience of the road but want to take in Loch Ness on my journey. The road doesn't look particularly steep or anything outrageous. Does anyone have experience of this road or route advice along Loch Ness?

Thanks in advance!
irc

Re: Quick piece of route advice (A82)

Post by irc »

A82 is flat but has horrendous traffic. Going on the east side of Loch Ness there is a big climb out of Fort Augustus (giving superb views at the top) followed by long gradual downhills. Much better on the B roads.

No traffic. Great Views.
No traffic. Great Views.

Timewise I'd expect the B862 to be slightly longer due to the climb in the first 4 miles or so. More than worth an extra time to avoid the A82.

By the way there is a good way to avoid the A82 north of Fort William. Take the B8004 then the road to Clunes at the south end of Loch Lochy. Thereafter forestry tracks along the west side of Loch Lochy - signposted as the Great Glen Way. A gravel surface but fine for 700x32 tyres or wider.

lochylochy.jpg
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Agree 101% with pervious poster.
I did the route described 2 years ago and perfect biking.
Just remember that monster hill,outside Fort Agustus.
A real get off and push kinda hill!

Matt

Ps. I think I clocked 64 miles from Fort William to Inverness.

I clocked 68 miles
Last edited by matt2matt2002 on 6 Sep 2013, 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
keithg

Post by keithg »

I will third irc's advice.
The main road is pretty grim and loads of buses during the day.
johntea

Post by johntea »

The A82 is horrendous at this time of the year, the B862 is a good road and was a great surface the last time I was on it a few years ago, nice and quiet compared to the A82 with fantastic views across the loch and the Foyers Falls make for a great place to stop and have a break.
bates51

Post by bates51 »

I've heard of ppl riding the Great Glen way, how many miles does it save on the road, and is it possible to ride nearly or all of the way to Inverness on it?
bates51

Post by bates51 »

Cant find this B8004!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

bates51 wrote:Cant find this B8004!

north out of Fort William then take a left onto the A830 Cross the Caledonian Canal then Right at Banavie, it might be signposted for "Neptunes Staircase" a set of locks on the Canal. at Gairlochy turn right up to Spean bridge and rejoin the A82.

I've cycled the A82 twice now and had no problems, that said it is a bit tight round the top end of Loch Lomond. after you turn right at Tarbet. Just be mindfull you'll have traffic behind you, pull over and let it pass, keeps em all happy :D

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
bates51

Post by bates51 »

Gotcha now!
loafer

Post by loafer »

bates51 wrote:I've heard of ppl riding the Great Glen way, how many miles does it save on the road, and is it possible to ride nearly or all of the way to Inverness on it?

we rode it back in 2005 on my 2nd LEJOGS not sure on miles saved but it was then very steep in places and you will need at least 28 tires and low gears :lol: some pics

Ron

Post by Ron »

loafer wrote:we rode it back in 2005

I know there has been a lot done on The Great Glen Way since 2005, although I don't have specific details.
rootes

Post by rootes »

That gravel path was not ideal for Bromptons, but still passable..
loafer

Post by loafer »

bates51 wrote:Cant find this B8004!

here you go mate http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/38393897/
just zoom in just north of fort William ... :D

larry
storksb

Post by storksb »

Evening All,

New to the forum, starting to plan my LeJog for next June. I was looking at this thread and found a couple of great route alternatives that I am looking at incorporating as I pedal from Fort William to Inverness.

I was looking over google maps and see a short section of unnamed road at Glen Gloy that diverts from the A82 on the east side. Looks like it is only 1.6 miles or so but wondering if anyone has used it or knows if it is passable. Here is a link. http://goo.gl/maps/31g1F

Thanks

Simon
My blog for my upcoming June 2014 LEJOG can be found here http://stork-lejog.blogspot.com/

Twitter ID : @storksb
irc

Post by irc »

storksb wrote:I was looking over google maps and see a short section of unnamed road at Glen Gloy that diverts from the A82 on the east side. Looks like it is only 1.6 miles or so but wondering if anyone has used it or knows if it is passable. Here is a link. http://goo.gl/maps/31g1F

I've not used it. That section though is a long downhill towards the loch though so bike speed will be fairly close to vehicle speed. Maybe close enough to take the lane. Doubt the detour is worth it.

The big gains FW - Inv are the B road west of the canal avoiding FW to Spean Bridge, the Great Glen Cycleway forestry tracks west of Loch Lochy, and the B roads east of Loch Ness. The A82 can be almost entirely avoided at the cost of an hour or two. Depends whether quiet near traffic free roads or the fastest route are most important.