Buzzed by a Buzzard

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Buzzed by a Buzzard

Post by Mick F »

I was buzzed the other day.

Out for a ride, minding my own business, up near Okehampton at the A386/West Devon Drive (Old A30) junction, Sourton. The thing swooped from my rear and then low in front of me. It continued it's flight-path before climbing steeply to sit atop a lamp post. From there it just looked down at me in a scornful holier-than-thou sort of way.

I never saw or heard it coming, and it must've missed my head by only a foot or so. I could hear the wind in it's feathers and see the sharpness of it's talons. I'm particularly sensitive to buzzards as I was actually attacked by one some years ago. The beast is well known for attacking cyclists up in the hills around Holsworthy, but not by me at the time! I don't cycle that way anymore!

Any more buzzards attacking cyclists out there?
Mick F. Cornwall
John928

B*****d Buzzards

Post by John928 »

Just read Josie Dew's brilliant account of her round the coast ride - Slow Coast Home, were she mentioned exactly this phenomena near the unlikely sounding places, Feinog-uchaf and Dihewyd, Wales.

I shall go prepared with some trepidation next time I cycle to my father in laws in Norton, nr Presteigne.

Is this just a Welsh thing? :wink:
taoschno50

Post by taoschno50 »

I was touring the Dales last year in early spring and on the road up to Tan Hill, I was repeatedly dive bombed by lapwings- took me a while to work out what it was as I was wearing a helmet and kept feeling a clunk from behind. Then one came at me sideways and I realised what was going on. I guessed they must be nesting and were trying to chase me away. I had to resort to riding as fast as I could waving my hands above my head and shouting "I don't want your babies!" to deter them. Must have surely confirmed the opinion of the one motorist I passed that all cyclists are completely barmy.
Jane
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I shouted something a little more Anglo Saxon than, "I don't want your babies!"

The waving bit and the cycling fast was the same though!
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'm sure that if anything like this happened to me I'd find it just as stressful as you did - All the same - I'm jealous!

Does it help to have it pointed out that you probably looked tastier than the other traffic? 8)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.

I've got a complex about buzzards now!
Mick F. Cornwall
Karen B

Post by Karen B »

Riding in the North Pennines, I have on several occasions been chased across the fell by angry grouse. Turning off the flashing red LED rear light makes them lose interest! They regard the light as a rival male grouse....
appolo

Post by appolo »

Mick, I lived in Landrake (which I'm sure you know of) for about ten years on and off and over towards Blunts and Quethiock way, there were quite a few breeding pairs of Buzzards. Beautiful creatures. It was never a problem when I was cycling,but I did have to keep an eye out' when walking the lanes with the dog. I'm sure the same pairs came back to the same nests year after year. They got a bit tetchy' in springtime and it was fantastic to watch the adult birds taking the young ones out on flying-lessons (well,spying grub and catching it lessons really I suppose!) but they never overtly attacked. I wouldn't want something that big landing on my fat head!

The S****Hawks however were another story!
If only the Groccles would stop feeding the damn things.

Anyhow,happy days! :wink:
PW

Post by PW »

Never been buzzed by a hawk but the blasted Canada Geese on the towpath are a damn nuisance in the nesting season. they don't just peck, but take off & fly at the rider's head. I took to chucking a shower of pebbles into the bunch to clear them away from the path before riding through.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

This is my Mum's fault, that she had some meat left-over from the week-end roast afew months ago. I ride to work along a certain cycle path near the A19 trunk road where a large number of Ravens lurk around, looking for scraps of food thrown from vans, cars & lorries. Anyway Mum said to me, it's a shame to thrown the meat away in the bin and would not put it in the garden, due to the local Rats in the nearby fields. I said don't worry Mum, I will give to the Ravens when I go to work. This is going back to August and it was amazing the 4 Ravens who ate the meat still now hang around for any food.

I go to the local supermarket and get the reduced bread and now because it's dark going to work, I might take a spin out around mid-day and all I do is do a little whistle and all 4 Ravens zoom out from nowhere and perch on the nearby tree and when I throwed them a handful of Bread, there zoom down for a good feed. My feathered friends.
meic

Post by meic »

There is a place near here where I get attacked by a buzzard for about 4 months of the year. I kept getting a wack on the back of my motorcycle helmet and assumed it was a Magpie. One day I saw the Buzzard in front of me and then watched it come at me from behind after I passed underneath it. It was really weird watching it come in for the kill but I had to look forward before it hit me as crashing the bike would be a much bigger problem.
When I am out on the bicycle I do get nervous and watch the buzzards to check they dont come after me as the claws could leave some nasty cuts.
However I have had many nice interactions with Buzzards. I almost had 2 Buzzards fall on top of me while cycling but I am sure I was the last thing on their minds!
barney473

Buzzy

Post by barney473 »

For three years every May/June I have been buzzed by a buzzard as I cycle on the same stretch of road, Sandon to Milwich, Staffordshire (north of Stafford). It varies from hitting my cycle helmet to just missing and like Mick F I can hear the wings beating when it is so close. The stretch of country road has tall trees down both sides from which it launches its attack and flies back to. The strange thing is, it never does it when cars are around, is that in the Highway Code? Another point is that it always comes from behind but on one occasion struck from the side, overshot and went straight into some tree branches on the other side of the road, hee hee. I'm a member of the RSPB and it's fantastic to watch this beautiful bird at close range, even if it has damaged my cycle helmet twice. Next year I am setting up a video camera on my helmet to see if I can capture the event.
coopstarr

Re: Buzzed by a Buzzard

Post by coopstarr »

in response to barney473, i've been attacked by the same buzzard on same road by Sandon.. first time last year 2011 i felt a scratch on top of helmet then as i looked up it was flying away, i couldn't believe it as i carried on..i then looked round and saw it swooping at me.. i waved my arms and screamed out and it lurched up and screamed back at me.. then went and sat in a tree eyeballing me!
i was then attacked this week, as i rode up i saw it fly over aggressively and i thought.. here we go.. it flew alongside me to next tree and without hesitation launched at me.. again i screamed and waved my arms and away it went..
it does scare me enough to remember to not use that route for a few months!! bloody buzzard!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I was buzzed by a Kestrel. Fantastic sight.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I've been buzzed by a barn owl but not when I was cycling & have been buzzed by many herring gulls when I'm eating chips at the coast but never by a buzzard.
Had plenty give me that look though.
&I agree a rather superior glare.
Most birds look comical if you see them head on but raptors just look more powerful & indifferent when you get both eyes.
Beautiful animals though.
:)