The War on Britain's Roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Whippet

Re: The War on Britain's Roads

Post by Whippet »

Better than i was expecting. Not just sensationalist, explained the vulnerability of cyclists and also the difficulties of different road users sharing the same space. I think the average car driver would probably end up more sympathetic to cyclists if they watched the whole thing.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Mark1978 wrote:Woman ped on off road cycle shared use path steps to the side while cyclist is passing. Who is at fault. I say the ped. Wife says the cyclist.

Taypet21 got it very wrong there.
They forgot to mention it was an electric bike - though I can hit 18mph up there on a good day after a 15 mile warm-up- though it's usually 7PM and with fewer people about.
(In fact I have a video of me overtaking a surprised electric cyclist there)
They've made that unofficial access point official now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Woman ped on off road cycle shared use path steps to the side while cyclist is passing. Who is at fault. I say the ped. Wife says the cyclist.

Definitely the cyclist.
Slow down, pass with care. We'd expect if of cars, why shouldn't peds expect the same of us?

Spot on!
I would never ride at that speed with pedestrians about on a shared use path.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:I would never ride at that speed with pedestrians about on a shared use path.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Big T

Post by Big T »

I thought it didn't show cycling in a bad light apart from the last cycle courier sequence. I've seen most of the clips on you tube anyway. It was interesting that they showed incidents from both the cyclist's and driver's perspective in some cases.

I quite liked Traffic Droid.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Big T wrote:I quite liked Traffic Droid.

Yes, he came over as a very solid and mature character - some of his footage had made me wince in the past.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

well, there you have it. Not so bad, not so good, just the usual tabloid invitation to moralise but with nice camerawork. Including the Lucas Brunelle footage was stupid, but, hey, if you're looking for context, insight and analysis, read a book. There were some affecting moments and some irritating moments (yes, Mr. Taxi Driver, you are a psycho) but overall it was a kind of ciip show for the masses and if you and I think that it has nothing to do with the joy or even the tedium of our daily ride that's not the programme's problem because it's made by couch potatoes for couch potatoes.

This is a medium that exalts witless clods like Kyle and Clarkson. Think on that and get hold of the idea that it's not supposed to be uplifting, educative or even memorable. In approximately five minutes time all but ten people will have forgotten all about it.

Oh - I thought Gaz was really good value. Respect to Croydon's finest!
hatless

Post by hatless »

I thought it was a very good programme. I was glad to be brought up short by the surprise end with the old taxi driver talking about the death of his grandson and how his sympathies got pulled in different directions. Point scoring and 'war' on the roads was made to seem pretty cheap and silly compared to people's precious lives.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Simon L6 wrote:well, there you have it. Not so bad, not so good, just the usual tabloid invitation to moralise but with nice camerawork. Including the Lucas Brunelle footage was stupid, but, hey, if you're looking for context, insight and analysis, read a book. There were some affecting moments and some irritating moments (yes, Mr. Taxi Driver, you are a psycho) but overall it was a kind of ciip show for the masses and if you and I think that it has nothing to do with the joy or even the tedium of our daily ride that's not the programme's problem because it's made by couch potatoes for couch potatoes.

This is a medium that exalts witless clods like Kyle and Clarkson. Think on that and get hold of the idea that it's not supposed to be uplifting, educative or even memorable. In approximately five minutes time all but ten people will have forgotten all about it.....

I agree,but I'm concerned about those ten people :?

As regards the BBC and in depth reporting,it's sad that better use can't be made of avvailable air time IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gynx84

Post by Gynx84 »

I think it showed the negative aspects of drivers attitude pretty well, and gave that thing that's so often missed when people rant about cyclist, the human touch, a realisation that cyclists are people regardless of what they do.

A bit disappointed the black Taxi Driver was spouting the same rubbish that he did at the original incident, but in a calm manner, which shows his complete ignorance and unwillinglness to see his own error, where was CyclingGaz admitted he was a bit of a pillock by atagonising the situation with a handclap. The taxi driver clearly expressed a few deep seated issues, the way Taypet rode into the pedestian wasn't too different from the way he had treated Gaz, yet the reaction was shock and dismay.

I found the improvements that the woman who lost her daughter fought for and has implimented, along with her strength in dealing with such a situation was absolutely amazing.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, it's gone out on air. I followed the advice to 'wait and see'.

Depressing. As depressing as the news broadcast that followed it. And deplorable. Exactly what I didn't want to see.

Who said it 'wasn't going to be as bad as the trailer'? It came across as exactly like the trailer. Period.

Nothing, repeat nothing, at all positive to say about cycling, the benefits of cycling, the enjoyment of cycling. Just a lot of macho attitudes getting in the way of one another.

So the alleycat stuff went out without any accreditation, just as was threatened, just as if it was some more amateur helmet cam stuff. Typical. I googled lucas brunelle. Not pleasant reading. He can do his stuff, it's a free country blah blah blah, but let his path and mine never cross, if you please!

Road rage incidents. Plenty of them. Repeated over and over again, to multiply up the numbers and 'thrill' the viewers some more. There really aren't that many! In my little 'incident' of the week before last, there was no rage, no aggro, simply a civilised exchange of information. As happens in 90% of these little 'incidents', and also in those more serious than mine. Honestly, even when someone has (a) got it totally wrong, or (b) had someone get it totally wrong to them, people don't go around talking and acting like football hooligans. (or internet junkies)?

Interviews with Gaz and Magnatom. Well, all credit to them for sticking at it. I thought Mags came across a little bit better - Gaz (sorry Gaz!) came a bit more macho and aggressive than I would expect, but was apparently nastily re-edited and re-cut to put him in a worse light than he really is. Shame. I suppose that's what TV is all about: cruel and merciless editing to suit the profits and ratings, not the facts.

So: thinking about what this programme's impact might be. Consider:
If I were a non-cyclist, would watching this programme make me think about taking it up? NO.
If I were a long-term cyclist, but dithering about giving it up because I can't cope with the traffic any more. Would this programme spur me to keep at it? NO.
If I were a novice cyclist, not sure whether it's the thing for me. Would this programme decide me to carry on? NO.
If I were an experienced and comfortable cyclist, would this programme give me a good warm feel-good feeling inside? NO.

0/10 to Leopard, I'm afraid.

And as to comparing a docu like this with Come Dancing (or whatever they call it nowadays) .... well words fail me! This is a programme about facts, and about people's lives. No-one has been killed by dressing up in silly clothes and twirling around idiotically on a ballroom floor, whilst superannuated clowns mutter their catchphrases. Not to my knowledge. This programme was supposed to inform the viewers. In that it has failed.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
JonRobins

Post by JonRobins »

I thought the show had it's good and bad points, all of which have been spoken about already in the forum. I just hope people will see the examples of bad driving and bad cycling highlighted in the show and be a bit more mindful of the way they cycle and the way they drive. If we all try and make bad cycling and bad driving socially unacceptable, make our friends feel embarrassed if they cycle through a red light, or drive too close to a cyclist, maybe things will get better.

It is a shame the show did not focus more on the message of building respect rather than pushing the idea that there is a war out there on our roads.

On another note, it (the show) has made my partner even more scared I might not make it home one day. She is also now even less likely to start cycling about town herself. I hope this show does not scare too many people off cycling. Don't worry though, I will still be cycling around Manchester.
hatless

Post by hatless »

I have to disagree with you, 661-pete. There was quite a bit about the pleasure of cycling. Magnatom talked about cycling being a form of spirituality for him, with shots of a country lane as he spoke. The wonderful mother said how cycling to work every day had made her daughter happy. The London to Dover and back guys had clearly set out to have a great trip, hearty breakfasts and a good time together.

The clips they emphasised were the horrifying ones, the punch and the terrifying artic on the roundabout - not sensational, I don't think, but shocking and rightly so.

The conclusion, in so far as there was one, was sober and about the importance of people, fragile people who live and die, and care and hurt.

Wasn't it interesting seeing Traffic Droid, the angry rule enforcer, all kitted up and self-righteous, crumbling as he remembered being scared, and revealing himself to be so lovably human.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'll sit through it again when I have an hour to spare. I owe that to the people who contributed sincerely to the programme, I'll concede that point.

But whether it will change the overall gut-feeling I have about the whole thing? I rather doubt it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...as a cyclist of nearly 50 years ...and multiples of accidents ...hit by car ...pedestrians walking out in front of me ...hitting potholes ...etc ...etc ...leaving me partially disabled ...after one road crash my elbow shattered and it can no longer straighten itself ...and being cut up by vehicles too many times to mention ...I think the glaring message in the film was that bicycles and motor-vehicles don't mix ...nor do bicycles and pedestrians ...it's high time that 'cyclotopia' planning of highways and byways becomes a reality in our towns and cities...!

Worryingly ...the programme also showed that bicycles and bicycles often don't mix either ...I'm amazed and apauled by some cyclists lack of knowledge of the highway code ...their surly attitude ...and their dangerous cycling manoevres...!!

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC