The War on Britain's Roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mrjemm

Re: The War on Britain's Roads

Post by mrjemm »

So, looking at the online schedules, the opposition on BBC2 is the Hour, and on ITV the Town. No idea how they'll compete.

Thinking about the subject though, and what with the name and the filming of the trailer, it is very clear that it was designed to mimic that staple of late night boredom TV- 'Road Wars'. Classy television at it's finest. What we call 'Daily Mail TV' in our home is huge now- Road Wars, Cops with Cars, Emergency 999, ad nauseum. So it seems the BBC has decided (or fallen for Leo's spiel/pitch) to delve further into that market sector and deposit it into our hypnotised consciousnesses like a steaming turf (ahem) at Prime lazy viewing time when the best shows are over and it's too early to climb the stairs.

And how did this come to such prominence? How did we all become so aware of this and it's calculated controversy? Pushed in a certain way no doubt. As much as I enjoy some Guardian material, they do fall for a lot of promotional guff and put it out as news it seems. And Mr Walker appears to have fallen for the courting.

Such a shame I won't be able to view it. I am saddened. The anticlimax will be clear here though, of that I have high expectations.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

chazza wrote:Did Argonon tell the BBC commissioner that the film included repeated and lengthy cuts from an illegally made film of deliberate law breaking; produced, directed, and filmed by an ex-convict?
Illegaly filmed? Ex-convict?

That it's a film of illegal cycling isn't in doubt, but outwith terrorism legislation or the Official Secrets Act, I'm not aware that it's illegal to film anything. As for ex-convict..............really. Unless I'm mistaken that was twenty years ago and more, and not for cycling on the wrong side of the road. But, the answer to your question is almost certainly yes. If you really, really want to know I'll ask. But my best advice is calm down a bit.

I think Mr. Jemm makes a very good point. If this looks like a clip show, one of those late night efforts on Channel Whatever, then the risk is that people, not least the reviewers, will complain. If it's filled with insight and intelligence, then Leopard will be vindicated. And I agree that, Philip Walker is, as they say, a sap. And it's a bit rich for the Campaigns Department of the CTC to complain when the excellent Cycle Clips has been linking to downhill racing, which is very definitely 'don't try this at home'.

I've not looked at the fillum. The thought of watching it twice was unbearable.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

snibgo wrote:Thanks. I dunno why the page (http://www.leopardfilms.com/news/leopar ... pm-bbc-one) linked in the OP is now gone.
probably because it was the number one story and has now been bumped down by the appointment in the US. Bear in mind that 50 programmes a week come out of Argonon in the UK, and heaven knows how many in the US. There's a lot going on besides this programme
ChrisPeck

Post by ChrisPeck »

FWIW, Roger has blogged at length on this, explaining the background to our involvement and his impressions of the film.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

it's telly, Chris. Just telly. Not the repository of hopes and fears, not a means of social advancement. Take a look at Strictly. There's kind of a man/woman thing going on there. It's, how can I put this, not exactly up-to-date with the gender politics thing. Look at any drama series and mentally take the clothes off all the men and women and then weigh said clothes - my guess is that the men will be wearing four or five times by weight what the women are wearing. And ,far from being an example to the others, the BBC is close on being the worst. Look at the way Entwistle was appointed, and note, please, that he sacked the woman candidate for his job the next day, and then remember Patten saying that they had to get 'the best man for the job'. Look at the BBC breakfast show and wonder at the balance between the male presenter and the female presenter. It is as if the last forty years hasn't happened. If the show does men and not women it's because television doesn't see women as anything other than sex objects. With respect, that's a bigger thing than a programme about cycling. Feel free to complain about it, but please don't be surprised.

http://argonon.com/waronbritainsroadsblog/ FWIW
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Simon
It's the effect it'll have that's the worrying thing.The moron's who'll switch off the telly after watching it and wake up tomorrow morning with an "agenda" to further pollute their already misaligned views,that's what concerns me :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

I take your point, R2, but I'll wait until I see the fillum.

I think the change in driving culture in London has been so much for the better than I would have thought possible, that I reckon that the effect of any bit of 'culture', however minor, would vary from place to place.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Living Streets, the esteemed pro-walking campaigning charity, has offered opinion on this programme - what do you think?
http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/blog-po ... he-streets
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Simon L6

I still can't fathom why you are spending so much of your valuable, sharing these insights into the mediocrity of the television industry. :? (It's not as though you've nothing better to do with your time, unlike li'll 'ole me. :oops: )
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Well, I've just found out through the film company that the filming a friend and I did for the program earlier this year will not be shown this evening - probably not contentious enough!

No doubt they'll be showing some of my mate's YouTube clips though as he seems to attract his own private war against some drivers in urban Manchester!

I'll be working this evening so I have my TiVo box set to record!
timmitchell

The war on Britains Roads

Post by timmitchell »

First thoughts...

Anyone who spits in someone elses face is just horrible.
All road users can be <inappropriate term removed>

Its only 21.07 so I reserve the right to update
Mark1978

Re: The war on Britains Roads

Post by Mark1978 »

That first cyclist was a [rude word removed]. But the taxi driver was a [rude word removed].
Mark1978

Re: The war on Britains Roads

Post by Mark1978 »

Too much focus on death "this was her bedroom" etc
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Woman ped on off road cycle shared use path steps to the side while cyclist is passing. Who is at fault. I say the ped. Wife says the cyclist.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mark1978 wrote:Woman ped on off road cycle shared use path steps to the side while cyclist is passing. Who is at fault. I say the ped. Wife says the cyclist.

Definitely the cyclist.
Slow down, pass with care. We'd expect if of cars, why shouldn't peds expect the same of us?