Do you brew up on a run?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Do you brew up on a run?

Post by reohn2 »

On a more serious note,I've just unearthed my Cmping Gaz stove s/steel pan and plastic cup,including a 75% full canister of gas,the lot weighs in at 750g.My steel Themos(small size that fits a bottle cage) weighs 320g,so the weight penalty isn't huge especially if you consider you brew up at will and with a cuppa soup option,on a cold day in the hills its a viable alternative :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

tea in a plastic cup. :shock: i've often had my doubts about you, now confirmed. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:tea in a plastic cup. :shock: i've often had my doubts about you, now confirmed. :lol:

I save the bone china for Sundays :roll:
W H Auden
southamptonadi

Post by southamptonadi »

reohn2 wrote:
stewartpratt wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:a flask ... UHT milk ... a sachet/small wrap of coffee

Lukewarm water, UHT milk and instant coffee? - I think I'd rather drink my own wee :)

Its not too bad when you get used to it................

the wee I mean :shock:

you can joke but when i was at school we did a science experiement to see the difference in wee from someone with diabetes and someone without and the teach dared me, so i had some of both (it had come from a lab and had been treated so was safe) one was quite sweet. i would not recomend it though and a cup of tea is much nicer.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks to all of you for your contributions - or most of them :wink: (I can do without the details on wee, thank you!). I'll start off with a thermos, maybe keeping the primus for special occasions, i.e. when I feel like indulging in nostalgia for the old days... The pocket rocket looks a good thing to carry as a back-up on a long tour. I still remember once struggling in a bitterly cold headwind to a pub marked on a Barts map - middle of nowhere in the Dales - only to find it abandoned and derelict.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I'd have to go with the thermos I think, anything else would take too long and I'd end up cooling down too much. Besides which I'm a fresh coffee drinker (espresso) so I'd make a flask full (microwave it to get it nice and hot) and take individual UHT single cream portions (from Macro, about £4 for a box of 120).

Very fussy about my coffee and not fond of tea.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

tykeboy2003 wrote:I'm a fresh coffee drinker (espresso) so I'd make a flask full

A Thermos full of espresso? Hardcore! :)
meic

Post by meic »

Our town hardware shop sells paraffin at £6 for a gallon. The gas cylinders are now £3-4 for a 200g cylinder!!!

Both options are much cheaper than using a cafe but the paraffin is nearly free in comparison to the gas.
As I am loathe to spend my pennies on any thing (other than titanium bike parts) I did try and run the primus on a friend's fuel oil for central heating but it is a lower grade of paraffin and runs too dirty.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

stewartpratt wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:I'm a fresh coffee drinker (espresso) so I'd make a flask full

Beats wee,wee! :wink:
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I don't make it as strong as you would get it in a Spanish cafe.... Otherwise I'd never get to sleep at night.

Actually a better alternative would be hot chocolate laced with brandy - rocket fuel!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Hmmm, and the brandy could be used for the primus....or how about the meths in the hot chocolate? :roll:
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

LollyKat wrote:Hmmm, and the brandy could be used for the primus

Brandy as cooking fuel? Sacrilege!

That's what whisky is for.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My pocket rocket uses these with an adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butane-Gas-Cartridge-Heater-Cooker-Kampa-227g-Gas-Cartridge-Pack-4-/250995716772?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item3a7082b2a4. So £1.75 for a long lasting 227g gas cartridge. Cheap enough for me. The last one lasted me for a week with plenty left over after porridge every morning, brew up twice a day and the odd evening meal. A single one is 2euros in France.
Last edited by bigjim on 13 Mar 2012, 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

whats the advice for storing a stove with fuel in it?,say i have my coleman multi fuel (yet to purchase) and theres fuel still left in it is that ok to put in a front pannier? inside another bag of some kind?,if you have an msr you can just put in in the cage below the downtube,so whats best to do?
:)
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
meic

Post by meic »

I have one pocket of my panniers which is the "dirty" pocket and the stove shares that with tentpegs, chainlube and other things that I dont mind getting soiled. That is the only part of the panniers the stove goes in as it is only a matter of time before some paraffin or petrol contaminates things.

Though I much prefer to isolate them entirely. Fuel bottle under the down tube, stove body in a frame clip and other stove parts in a dedicated seat-fitted bag but I cant manage all of those on any one bike.
Yma o Hyd