David Hinde

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
2010tillwhen

Re: David Hinde

Post by 2010tillwhen »

Hi folks,

This is Sammy, currently in Kazakhstan.

Before setting out on our "World cycle?" I had ridden and raced on the same Dave-Hinde-built wheels (Hope Ti hubs/Mavic 217 SUP) for around 10 years and never had any major problems with them structurally. One got trued once. They only suffered a death because the braking surface wore out!

I had the wheels rebuilt before this trip by Dave Hinde, using the same Hope hubs but on new rims. On the shops recommendation it was done using Mavic 717 rims and after 15,000km+ the front wheel is still going strong.

What about the back one?
Going through a badly lit tunnel in Spain it took a huge impact on the lip of a deeply set grid. To be honest, with the amount of weight we are both riding with, I was surprised it didn't fold. It held out with a kink and slight buckle for a further 5 weeks of riding in Morocco and a month of cycling in Italy until a replacement was found.

I have and still would recommend their wheel building to anyone. As far as customer service goes, I've only ever visited the shop, so I can't comment on the online services. If you make the effort to visit the shop, don't expect idle chit chat. They don't like b.s. in there but that's how I like my bike shops.

Teddy, you're local so you'll know this, but for anyone who may have to travel far, you could visit Marbury Country Park, Delamere Forest or Tatton Park to make a day of it- the latter two are good for bikes.

Hope this helps,

Sammy.
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-- _o -_-_-_-_-_- _o
________________( )-\( )______( )-\( )_____

Riding to the horizon since 2010

Find us at http://www.2010tillwhen.com
gtfreight

Post by gtfreight »

Dave Hinde made my Father and me a bike each in 1994 and we found him to be a decent guy. In 2001 he built me another bike with Record throughout and the service was just the same. 5 years ago the ally seat post welded itself to the seat tube and I damaged the frame trying to free it. I rang Dave to see if he could repair the frame but he said it wouldn't be cost effective. I later found a decent used Fondriest bike for sale and bought it.
I rang Dave and asked him if he would buy my bike off me and he said that if I stripped it down he could sell the parts on his website and that he would buy my parts.
I went to the shop the following week and Dave wasn't there but his business partner was. I explained everything but was told I could only be given a credit note. I explained that Dave agreed to give me cash but he wouldn't move. I even asked him to to call Dave to confirm what was said but he wouldn't. As it is a 100 mile round trip I decided to use the credit note for a decent saddle and a carbon seatpost. I went away feeling disappointed but at least I had something to show for my time and trouble.
2 years ago I decided to get another bike and i was going to give him the benefit of doubt but did a quick search and saw the comments said. I decided to go to Graham Weigh and bought a Dolan with Sram Red groupset and have found their aftersales service second to none.
If it wasn't for 1 bad deal with D Hinde I would have spent another couple of grand with him but sadly I won't be going back which is a shame because from my experience I can't fault his products.
moyse

Post by moyse »

Having dealt a couple of times with Dave Hinde on the phone and in person I have nothing but praise for his no nonsence attitude and sound common sence.His prices are normally on a par with most of the other traders and his postal service I have found to be excellent.
Si

Post by Si »

As this thread seems to be a set of reviews of Hinde's I've moved it to the reviews section.

Have also amended a post - not a good idea to cast aspersions on the characters of other forum users in your first post just because they relate bad experiences with a shop, makes it sound like you are connected to that shop and have set up an account here just to have a go at those who are not happy with the shop....which, I'm sure, is not the case at all.

Anyway, as this is a review thread now - can we stick to the fact please.
moyse

Post by moyse »

Well!That's certainly put me in my place Si.Apparently the truth is not allowed by the thought police.I was most annoyed by the implication that I joined your forum for the express purpose of defending the David Hinde reputation as a thinly disguised employee.In fact I was already a member having posted several letters in the past.The reason I had just rejoined was because having recently sold my house and relocated I had misplaced my signing on details so decided I may as well assume a new password etc. as the easiest solution.I have no connection with D.H. at all in the way you suggest and I do take great exception to someone who I neither know,or would wish to know,making childish assumptions as to my actions.You have no need to print a reply to this as I have deleted the C.T.C from my computer and will not be revisiting the site.Regards G.
Si

Post by Si »

Give it a rest Moyse - you made totally unfounded, and someone insulting, accusations about all those who had posted their bad experiences with DH, so please don't throw your toys out the pram if you get pinged for it. As ye sow so shall ye reap - so don't come playing the victim here.
JamesR32

Post by JamesR32 »

I thought I would post on here, (and possibly bikeradar where Dave also gets quite a slating though that thread is quite old now), to share my experience and views reagrding the shop, because as I have read somewhere ealier on one of these forums, you never really hear from the people that have a positive experience, so hear goes.
I'm a mountain biker and I give my bike a fair amount of abuse, I still can't believe after all the drops onto rocks and crashes that my wheels aren't buckled, but no they both spin true and buckle free, I guess thats a testament to a high quality hand built wheels. (Dave Hinde didn't build my wheel originally)
I have recently changed my front forks and required the hub changing from a standard QR to a 15mm through axle hub. I have always been keen to relace and ultimately true my own wheels, but before shelling out for all the equipment I wanted to see just how hard it is to first lace the wheel up correctly.
Knowing I would still need the wheel truing and the spokes properly tensioned I sat down on the internet and started my search for wheel builders as I didn't really fancy the town bike shop to have a crack at it, I know thats maybe a stupid comment but if you don't feel comfortable with something...!!!
I've just moved back from abroad and didn't know of anywhere i'd feel happy to get my wheel done a part from driving all the way down to Cannock Chase. I live in Northwich and was more than surprised when I found Dave Hinde on the web advertising hand built wheels. I drove over to the shop and spoke to the lads, (three of them), in the shop, told them exactly what I wanted, that I wanted to have a go at changing out the hub and relacing the wheel but for them to true and tension it properly and would that be a problem, they were happy with me to have a go and even offered advice. It was later when talking to my mate, who pointed out all the bad reviews, that I got slightly worried. But my gut feeling was good and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I changed out the hub and relaced my wheel and started to put tension on the wheel and took it back to the shop, where I was greeted by a different bloke.
I can imagine this fella might get some peoples back up! I must stress he wasn't rude at all but when I explained that I'd changed the hub and relaced my wheel he didn't say too much, the look on his face said enough. lol
He took the wheel off me had a look at both sides and commented that at least I had laced it correctly! He then spun the wheel in his hands and said that actually it was pretty good, one of the better ones they get.
He answered all my questions concisely and offered advice, exactly what you want from someone!!! I just don't think he suffers fools or the ignorant and I guess that upsets some people.
I have just picked my wheel up, done by next day, and it seems spot on! I guess I will only find out just how good it is once I hit the trails, but if I don't post on here again then take it that it's as good as my original wheel or better.
I can't comment on anyone else experiences with the shop, but as far as I am concerned they did exactly what they say on the tin, were friendly, prompt service and great valve for money, I highly recommend them!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

dooblood

Post by dooblood »

I did a very foolish thing....

I ordered a rear whell from DAVE Hinde suitably priced and they 'assured' me I would receive my wheel within 7-10 days. 14 days later and no wheel! I phoned on day 11 and was told I would need to email them. I emailed, no response. Phoned again on day 13, was told I would need to email again. Emailed again and got email saying 'sorry for delay, but good news is your wheel has left our factory', I sent another email saying 'oh good, does this mean I will get my wheel tomorrow'. Email back 'no'.

I still do not have this wheel.
dooblood

Post by dooblood »

Dave Hinde staff were very rude.
Most unhelpfull.
Still not received wheel 16 days after paying for it despite being assured 7-10 days.
They will not allow me to cancel my order.
They advise I don't mail order from them again.
I will take that advice.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

dooblood wrote:Dave Hinde staff were very rude.
Most unhelpfull.
Still not received wheel 16 days after paying for it despite being assured 7-10 days.
They will not allow me to cancel my order.
They advise I don't mail order from them again.
I will take that advice.

If the goods are not provided within the timescale given then they have broken the contract terms so you are quite within ytour right to cancel the order, (i.e. they are talking bullux). Cancelling a contract done online comes under the distance selling regulations.
use this format and threaten legal action plus costs if they don't re-imburse
[Your address]

[Company address]

Dear Sir/ Madam

[Ref: Order/Contract number]

I recently entered into a contract [add details] on [date] [over the telephone/ online].

In accordance with my rights under Regulation 10 of the Consumer Protection Distance Selling Regulations 2000, I would like to cancel the contract.

I require written confirmation from you that the contract has indeed been cancelled and that no payment will be claimed by you.

Yours sincerely

You could of course quote the original timescale & that this is now more than double & you still haven't received the goods...
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

It must be a great shop: The sign over the door says "Officially the UKs No.1 designer and manufacturer".
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I ordered some wheels last week from Dave Hinde, decided to order over the phone to double check the hubs were in stock, staff were very polite and helpful, was told they would take around two weeks but the wheels arrived exactly a week later and for almost £100 cheaper for the pair than I was quoted from another builder.
scottmac

Post by scottmac »

My cousin bought a bike off him with good intentions to get fit. Unfortunately, other things took a precedence in his life, and fortunately for me, he offered me his brand new bike that had never touched tarmac! :D

Alas, the wheelbuilding/bike building skills of whomever put it together were dreadful, to say the least! :cry:

My cousin paid a bit extra for the wheels to be built and they were out of true before even seeing a road. The handlebar tape was applied loose, along with the a-head stem and the brakes weren't set up correctly to boot! :shock:
mmarx32

Post by mmarx32 »

Its still same bad custmer service and no phone number u can call to get some help if u ordered online. I placed order 13okt 2014, didnt get my hope wheels. after 4weeks Emailed them to cancel my order and then they started replying to my emails. Ecuse after excuse, best one was that my wheels where sent out to someone with similar name and lives abroad. After 2months they said they will refund. Now i have waited another 2months and still no refund. after they said i get my refund I have emailed i think more then 30times and no response , i did sent them first class letter and still no response. So at the moment i dont have my wheels and im out of pocket £350. I used debit card so to pay for it so thats the mistake i made :(
Its a long drive for me but I'm thinking of going down to the shop soon.