Aldi CREE torches (5W - £11)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Aldi CREE torches (5W - £11)

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _21969.htm

3 AA batteries, so not a small torch, but looks sane.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gentlegreen

Re: Aldi CREE torches (5W - £11)

Post by gentlegreen »

Thanks for the heads-up - looks the real McCoy too- I'm definitely going to see if I can get one of those. :)
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

5W on three AAs? Whatever it is you're trying to find in the shed when you use it, you'd better find it quickly :)
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

stewartpratt wrote:5W on three AAs? Whatever it is you're trying to find in the shed when you use it, you'd better find it quickly :)

Actually it's amazing what you can do with LEDs and three AAs. The 48 LED camping lights I use on my bike take a full amp from three AAs - to the extent that I've heard rumours of smoke coming from the spindly wires of similar models - but they work for an impressive amount of time, before dimming and still giving useful light ...
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Mm, scratch my comment, I think I forgot to mentally multiply one of the figures by 3 :)
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The rechargables I use claim 2000 mAh, ie 2 Ampere-hours. At 1.2V, that is 2.4 Wh. Three batteries would give 7.2 Wh. So a 5W load should be sustainable for nearly 1.5 hours.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Thanks for posting this - I know where I am off to on Sunday morning!
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Ribblehead

Post by Ribblehead »

"automatic SOS flashing function"

What does that mean? Is it programmed to flash SOS in Morse code??!!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Ribblehead wrote:"automatic SOS flashing function"

I've got an ebay special with the same function and I think it just means strobe!
It is too fast to decode even if it is actually ... --- ...
Anyone got a high speed camera? :)
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Surely a missprint, and it's actually 3 x AAA as this is a common format (and a shoe-in for 18650 lithium?) a 3 x AA torch would be much larger diameter, and the head would then be huge, lets see, about 36mm diameter body and the head 40 odd? Be fabulous run-time if it is 3 x AA though!
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

wirral_cyclist wrote:

I've got an ebay special with the same function and I think it just means strobe!
It is too fast to decode even if it is actually ... --- ...
Anyone got a high speed camera? :)

How many watts did it claim to be ? ;)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

And while you are in there pick up one of their Specially selected Christmas Puddings. Top award from Good Housekeeping. Just eaten some, its a cracker and only 3.50. Whilst you are at it get some of their fresh orange juice and some of their dishwasher tablets which both got Which awards. I like their baked beans and Columbian instant coffee. Its always half the price of what you get elsewhere.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

al_yrpal wrote:And while you are in there pick up one of their Specially selected Christmas Puddings. Top award from Good Housekeeping. Just eaten some, its a cracker and only 3.50. Whilst you are at it get some of their fresh orange juice and some of their dishwasher tablets which both got Which awards. I like their baked beans and Columbian instant coffee. Its always half the price of what you get elsewhere.

Al

Their wine gets awards year in and year out. Oh and don't forget the haggis flavour crisps either...
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

al_yrpal wrote:And while you are in there pick up one of their Specially selected Christmas Puddings. Top award from Good Housekeeping. Just eaten some, its a cracker and only 3.50.

I daren't go in there this time of year.

:(
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

My Fenix torch has a mode where it flashes SOS in Morse code, so this is possible.