Rear light fixing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AlanD

Rear light fixing

Post by AlanD »

Expecting to take my tandem out for an evening ride, I went to fit a spare rear light. However, I discovered that because of a combination of factors: i.e. Short stoker resulting in low rear saddle and very large pannier bags that go above the top of the pannier carrier, it is impossible to fit the rear light round the seat post because it would be obscured there, which is where most of them seem to fit now. I ended up wrapping the fixing round one of the pannier handles, which meant that the light flapped about madly. The front light was also a problem, but not so severe. I presented up my Hope 1 and found that the fitted clip was too big for the handlebar, I ended up wrapping a piece of sandpaper around the bar as packing, being the first available thing to hand.

I am going to the CyclePromotions sale next week and will be on the lookout for a rear light, but looking on the Wiggle website does not tell me what I need to know. I need a rear light with a fixing that will attach to the rear of the pannier rack; it's made out of round cross-section metal, the struts no more than a pencil-width across. I had also suggested putting a rearlight on the right-hand end of the stokers handlebar, but Mrs D2B has vetoed that one.

Also, what can I do about moving the Hope 1 from bike to bike, It has it's own integrated fixing, but will only accomodate a certain range of handlebar sizes? Clearly I need to pack out the tandem handlebar.
Thanks, Alan
[XAP]Bob

Re: Rear light fixing

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Inner tube wraps.

Take an old inner tube and wrap it to pad out the handlebars for the front light.

For the rear it sounds like your rack doesn't have appropriate fixings - you'll have to cobble something together.
I suggest P clips as a good way to get a bolt hole onto a narrow tube, then use the "second half" of the seat post fitting to attach the light.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Inner tube wraps.

Works for the rear rack too!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

I had much the same problem on my bike. Even if my seat post were visible without luggage, there wasn't enough clearance for the fixings for the cateye rear light I'd bought to dazzle the motorists. My rack also has skinny bars and even worse, a curve around the end.

I noticed that you could also get a mounting fixture for the cateye designed to fit on the little flat plate on the back of many racks (which of course my bike doesn't have). However, this in conjunction with a couple of p-clips solved the problem. p clips rock. Get the rubber lined ones.
Attachments
cateye bracket cropped.jpg
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

rear just wrap a piece of inner tube round the strut onthe Rack and mount the light on its sideUsing either the seat clamp fixing or the rear strut fixing kit that came with the light
NUKe

Post by AlanD »

My sense of aesthetics reels with horror at the mere thought of cobbled together Heath-Robinson solutions. There is a small light with a clip that is just dandy for belts, rucksack pockets etc, but I don't think my panniers present a suitable edge that gives a stable rear-facing surface.
The rack does not have any fixing lugs either. Guess I'll just have to add this onto my 'snag list' for when the tandem goes back to the shop for it's after sale service next month.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Heath Robinson is one of the few solutions to a poorly designed rack.

My rack has both 50 and 80 mm mountings available for rear light and/or reflector. All racks should have such facilities.

Of course you could try a mudguard mounted light? But that might not be very visible out to the sides...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
timhogan

Post by timhogan »

I converted my Vision One and use it with the old style Light & Motion Vega bracket. I'm lucky enough to have bought two of those before they discontinued them and managed to get a third through the Forum.

I also have the L&M Shoes fitted to my map holder, camera mount and digital compass. (The downside of this of course is not being able to use more than one device at a time, but it's not been an issue so far!).

None of the above is going to be much use unless you too are succesful in the noew obsolete stock hunt (I might be able to help with a shoe as I have some extras coming in from the states right now).

Rear Lamps -

I have a large Smart on my hybrid, mounted to the cntre platform with a simple 'L' shaped bracket made from marine grade stainless (surplus chandlery from my other hobby).

Same logic on my Thorn Audax, but this time the bracket goes straight onto the right rear rack mount (I don't use a rack on this bike) That positions it just above and to the right of the rear brake and below the Carradice Saddlepack (or Barley if I'm touring).

I have a small Smart on my trail bike - this time the proprietary braket is screwed directly to the mudguargd/ rack mount in the right rear drop out, instead of using the fork band.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Heath Robinson is one of the few solutions to a poorly designed rack.

My rack has both 50 and 80 mm mountings available for rear light and/or reflector. All racks should have such facilities.

Of course you could try a mudguard mounted light? But that might not be very visible out to the sides...

Busch & Muller don't like Heath Robinson either. This is the perfect solution to any rack without a light bracket plate... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-mu ... t-prod560/
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Malaconotus wrote:Busch & Muller don't like Heath Robinson either. This is the perfect solution to any rack without a light bracket plate... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-mu ... t-prod560/

I have one of those in the cupboard but it is ugly and heavy so I have never used it. Hypoccaculus's solution for the Cateye bracket with p-clips is much neater.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have a look at http://www.beewee.org.uk/index.php?opti ... Itemid=109 - I've made quite a few of these now ... even thought of making them to sell ...

The picture shows a Cateye lamp (fitted to the Blackburn rack on Galaxy) my but almost any lamp with a seatpost clamp will fit.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1 for robgul's method.

Mine's not quite as neat but is made on the same principle.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rob beats b&m assuming the rack top bag doesn't overhang.

The B&M solution looks pretty Heath Robinson to me...
robgul

Post by robgul »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Rob beats b&m assuming the rack top bag doesn't overhang.

The B&M solution looks pretty Heath Robinson to me...

Ah, the Mk IX version has a longer slot that lowers the top slightly to allow for a rack bag to sit above it 8)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

Wow, I didn't know P-clips could inspire such loathing!

My very cropped picture is not very flattering but the whole caboodle is only a few inches across so it hardly screams out at you. My rack bars are about 6mm in diameter. No doubt you are also reeling from the white elastic I use to tie luggage on as well. Now I know who buys all that overpriced kit! :D :D

Mr Hypocacculus has one of those B&M type things. Its big, heavy, ugly, rusts and dates from the days lamps had paraffin in them. I considered making something similar and smaller but I didn't have anything suitable to hand. Mr Hypocacculus suggested p-clips. At first I didn't like the idea either. I considered using a chunk of seatpost but I came to the conclusion it was an over complicated bodge that was bulkier than necessary and would ultimately get in the way of my luggage. Although Robgul's is pretty neat.

Alan D, obviously the most elegant way out of your dilemma is to buy a new rack with an integral light fitting plate. Send the old one to me, I'll give it a good home. :wink: