Budget Tent

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pete75

Re: Budget Tent

Post by pete75 »

700c wrote:Here is the 12.99 Lidl;

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _19495.htm

What is our opinion on this one??

The fact they give a 3 year warranty must give some confidence. Can't say more without having a look at one.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

The Lidl one looks like it is a single skin tent (at that weight and price it would surely have to be) Even expensive single skin tents tend to have issues with condensation. That would be my main concern, but at £12.99 with the possibility of re-selling on Ebay, it might be worth a punt?

That said, personally, I'd be nervous about relying on a single skin tent at that price as my shelter for a UK trip. If I'd seen a dry, warm, low-humidity weather forecast and was only away one or two nights I'd be less worried.

I still highly recommend the Vango range; there seem still to be some bargains on the 2010 version which is a nicer colour than the 2011... http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog ... 2010_.html
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

North Face particle 13 selling in a hour on e-bay. was a £200+ tent. Now at £50 and it's unused. Under £100 a bargain. Light and top quality.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

bigjim wrote:North Face particle 13 selling in a hour on e-bay. was a £200+ tent. Now at £50 and it's unused. Under £100 a bargain. Light and top quality.

Quite tempted by that myself but can't justify it. Described as pitched once but never slept in it is a steal at it's current price but a lot of bids can be last few seconds. It's here... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/north-face-partic ... 0675104040
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I give my vote to the Vango Spectre too
I have the 'new' one referred to..
and it's the perfect compromise between weight and size IMO :)

I got mine off flybay for £55 new
Keep watching them and eventually you'll get a bargin
It took me 4 'goes' and then the seller offered me the tent at my highest bid - which was below the asking price!
:wink:
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

Have used the karimor and would comment as follows:

- good value tent
- very waterproof
- the outerskin does suffer from condensation
- headroom is on the low side
- good size for 2 people
- good size porche area to store kit

I suppose the question is do I think it is good value and would I get another - yes, but the condensation is annoying
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Malaconotus wrote:The Lidl one looks like it is a single skin tent (at that weight and price it would surely have to be) Even expensive single skin tents tend to have issues with condensation. ..That said, personally, I'd be nervous about relying on a single skin tent at that price as my shelter for a UK trip. If I'd seen a dry, warm, low-humidity weather forecast and was only away one or two nights I'd be less worried.

Just bought one, your assessment seems spot-on to me. It packs nice and small and fits in a 25L pannier bag with loads of room to spare. It does not have the usual built-in black plastic groundsheet cheap tents have but is all polyester so would need a groundsheet if pitching on damp ground. Going to use it to camp overnight before and after Audax I'm hoping to ride to (will drive or take a heavier tent to it if weather forecast bad), would also be good as a music festival tent. Pitches and packs away very easily. It's better than the last Lidl tent I saw, more roomy, stitching good and has a vent at the back.

bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Bought mine this morning and set it up at 11am in the rain. Had to be worth a punt at the price. It has now been up in the torrential rain and hailstone all day. Just checked it, no water ingress at all. There are 2 vents at the back. Could lighten it further I guess as pegs are steel and a few labels, pockets and extra zip pullers could be lost. Good stealth colour.

700c

Post by 700c »

I ended up purchasing a Vango Spectre 200 - packs down to 46 X 13 and weighs in at 2.5kg. My local independant camping shop had this and a Banshee. I decided the Banshee is too small - my head and feet were touching either end. The Spectre is more roomy and only 0.5kg heavier. £71, brand new. Well within budget, next on the shopping list is a good sleeping bag.

Thank you for the recommendations all.
boris

Post by boris »

Single skin!
I got a similar one from lidl for 10gbp and tried it out one warm weekend last easter. Zipped up against midges the ventilation just could not cope and the condensation was a real problem. I will not be planning to use it again. I would prefer to carry another pound weight to get 2 layers and sit-up room.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm 6'2" and can sit up in this one. Also someone on another forum has spent the night in one and found no condensation problems so I assume a different design than the one you bought last year. The extra weight can cost you an extra £70+.
I view it as better than a Bivi on a lightweight tour.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

One night is no test.

Condensation depends very much on the weather.
If it's a clear night and there's dew, there will be lots of condensation.
If it's a cloudy night with a bit of a breeze, it's likely there will be none.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

I used a monodome tent at a festival once and it was great, so big inside compared to my terra nova. There was condensation / a wee leak puddle appeared at one corner on one day (it was one of those torrential Glasto years). I threw a newspaper into that corner and all was well. If 1.8kg weren't too heavy for me for solo use, I'd consider one of these £20 domes for summer Europe campsite solo use. They're so practical, monodomes. Great headroom, easy to put up, airy in warm conditions. This one is very light for the space / price. On the fine days/nights, they're better than anything else and you have no theft concerns at all with a £20 tent. Maybe not so great with 2 people breathing inside them, but for one in high summer, great.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Lidl tent is on sale again next week.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-14A5F ... l&id=11452

I was tempted as a tent for one or two nights away freecamping but to be honest am concerned about the single skin and may stick to the well-tried bivi.

Anyone care to try to persuade me that it's worth a punt?

I have two other main tents - Vango Spirit 200+ and Coleman Avior X3 but to be honest not into the idea of pitching them in a wood for a 1/2 day trip.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Lidl tent is on sale again next week.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-14A5F ... l&id=11452

I was tempted as a tent for one or two nights away freecamping but to be honest am concerned about the single skin and may stick to the well-tried bivi.

Anyone care to try to persuade me that it's worth a punt?

I have two other main tents - Vango Spirit 200+ and Coleman Avior X3 but to be honest not into the idea of pitching them in a wood for a 1/2 day trip.

looks like a tent for your dog when u take it away on holiday?