Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another one of mine, as it seemed to have gone un-noticed on another thread.

I was in Tasmania in '88, and took a two day tour to Port Arthur whilst my ship was in Hobart for the weekend. 60 odd miles each way. Wonderful.

Mick F. Cornwall

Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Terry T wrote:Here's my latest finished project. It's a 1960s Claud Butler which I had powder coated and fitted with new frame transfers.Image
It has Mafac side-pull brakes, Wolber rims, and Sturmey 3 speed gears.
The Brooks saddle is a B17 which has been cut (by me), in the style of the Swallow model.

Having taken this machine on a test ride, I've decided to ditch the old Mafac side-pull calipers in favour of modern ones.
It's amazing just how much better modern brakes are :shock:
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

My main bike these days. Giant Cypress SE about one step up from a BSO and heavy. Bog standard except for the addition of SKS mudguards, Topeak Tourist rack, stubby bar ends, side stand, CarryFreedom bike plate for the trailer, and a basic computer. Rear sprockets about to be changed from 13-15-17-19-21-24-34 to 12-14-16-18-21-26-32 by swapping the current wheel and freewheel for a new rear wheel and cassette.

I've also got a Mk I Stumpjumper (1982 or 83), but that doesn't get much use these days.

Geoff
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

My Mercian learning to balance a pint.

Bike to Work Week.
It's always difficult to know what to do on this week when you always ride to work. So while everyone else was getting out their bling bikes and wearing their flashest gear thereby reinforcing people's view that you need to be a bit 'different' to be a cyclist, I always go for the full-on 'Mr Normal' look.
(although I admit, to you only, that I had slung a pannier in that front basket, which contained another complete set of clothes for changing into at work :lol: )

We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
loafer

my caygill

Post by loafer »

at the start of what can be the best climb in the whole ob britian :D and at the top..just wanted to ride back down and do it again....lolImage
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

This one isn't bad either: Hardknott Pass
I was amazed that I managed to keep the front wheel on (or at least close to) the road!

ibanyarza

Post by ibanyarza »

My Orbea Arama 2006

Aluminium frame, carbon fork with lowrider mounts, Tiagra gruppo, Vuelta rims, Shimano DH3N71 dynamo, Tubus Fly rack, Continental SportContact 700x32 , Brooks B17 saddle, B&M lights, Abus Granit + Pitlock locks.

Very nice both on road and path/track :)
Si

Post by Si »

"Sam", our Burley Samba touring/mtb tandem.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Si,

I know very little about tandems, and have never ridden one.

But I'm sure that the cranks are usually in line and parallel. Yours look as though the rear set are "forward" a tooth or two from the front.

Am I right? Is it supposed to be like that? Or is it an optical illusion?

Sorry for my ignorance!

Regards,
Mick F. Cornwall
andwags

Post by andwags »

This is improper set up or a stretched chain.
Si

Post by Si »

andwags wrote:This is improper set up or a stretched chain.

No, neither.

They are meant to be like that.

I do loadsa riding. Mrs Si doesn't. So I'm much fitter/stronger than her on the bike. Advancing a weaker stoker's cranks in this way makes the pedalling smoother and makes it feel easier.

I have seen pics of continentals with the cranks set at 90degrees - makes for a smooth ride apparently but can be a bit of a pain when starting or when out the saddle. Also looks extremely strange!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, thanks Si!

I sort of guessed there was a scientific reason for the "out of phase" relationship of the cranks. I would think 90 deg out would be smooth but quite a knack to get going, especially on a slight rise!
Mick F. Cornwall
andwags

Post by andwags »

I learnt something new today :)
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

This is a picture showing crank offset as supplied on the tandem to ensure 'smooth pedalling'. However, getting ‘out of the saddle’ is not possible and that is why racing tandems have cranks that are ‘in-line’

[/img]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I always say that a day is not complete until I have learned something!
Mick F. Cornwall