Bottle dynamos

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Bottle dynamos

Post by [XAP]Bob »

trickletreat wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Update - First slippage.

I had to cycle for a while with one arm back on the dynamo...

until the tyre warmed up at any rate...

Hi Bob,

As I have a newish B&M6 left over from my old trike, and having come across this thread, I may buy another front light. Having offered up the dynamo to the trike, it seems to sit at an angle to the dynamo track on the marathon winter, instead of the dyno wheel sitting flat on the track. That is using the ice dyno hanger between the stays. We have the same dyno, is that how yours sits?

Probably - I'll try and get some time to get a photo, and to set it up properly.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
trickletreat

Post by trickletreat »

Cheers chap. Having examined the dynamo, I can see that the roller has all but worn out. It didn't cover that many miles on the old trike, and the replacements in uk seem to be £4-5!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

trickletreat wrote:Cheers chap. Having examined the dynamo, I can see that the roller has all but worn out. It didn't cover that many miles on the old trike, and the replacements in uk seem to be £4-5!

Still cheaper than a new dynamo...
Double sided sticky tape instead ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Photo, including a couple of lines to show ideal and actual alignment (although I think ideal is actually about midway between these lines, and I've drawn ideal to the end of the axle, which is wrong.
Still slips in cold, wet conditions.
Attachments
The wheel is on the sidewall track, smudging the logos.
The wheel is on the sidewall track, smudging the logos.
Almost perfectly in line.
Almost perfectly in line.
james01

Post by james01 »

Re your slippage problem: hard to be sure from the photos, but the pulley wheel seems to be running at a big angle from the sidewall instead of flat against it (quite apart from the slight off-axis problem which you've already highlighted). Can you fettle the mounting point to bring the whole lot closer to the wheel? Could you mount the dynamo inside the mounting slot instead of outside it?
pherron

Post by pherron »

I can also relate very good experience with the Axa HR dynamo. Economic, reliable and long lasting. I have tried B&M but thought it not worth the extra money and a bit noisy. Haven't tried the Nordlicht. Generally I'm upgrading to hub dynamos as I can afford it.

I agree with all the positive comments about LED headlights, they are much better and coming down in price. The best feature is the availability of standlights that really work. Again, I am gradually changing all my lamps over, starting with the back lights as they are cheaper and the standlight even more important.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am going to go for an Axa - HR bottle dynamo principaly for keeping my smartphone/sat nav charged. I cant contemplate a hub dynamo because the cost of a new front wheel, 26" with the complication of disc brakes. I dont really fancy shelling out for an E Werk either. Pension won't stretch that far.

Does anyone have a circuit and instructions for making a rectifier/ voltage controller suitable for making a cheapo 5V phone charger out of Maplin type bits?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

james01 wrote:Re your slippage problem: hard to be sure from the photos, but the pulley wheel seems to be running at a big angle from the sidewall instead of flat against it (quite apart from the slight off-axis problem which you've already highlighted). Can you fettle the mounting point to bring the whole lot closer to the wheel? Could you mount the dynamo inside the mounting slot instead of outside it?

Those B&M bottles hinge on a lateral plane don't they? In which case the bottle would always hit the wheel parallel. Still, it could be worth experimenting in bolting it on the inside of the bracket (if there's clearance), but I would sort out the other angle off set first.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The angle of attack is very slight, and the offset from perfect is small, it's exaggerated in the photo.

Although the dynamo does slip in "cold and wet" conditions, it's not a major problem. I just reach round and apply a little extra pressure for a minute or so.
trickletreat

Post by trickletreat »

Thanks for posting the pics, that is how mine looked when I offered it up to the bracket, and it just didn,t seem quite right. I will have a play and see if I can improve the angle of contact with the dyno track on the tyre.

Examining the wheel on the bottle dyno, I can see that it has worn at an angle from use on the old trike, so probably sat at a similar angle as that when fitted to the ICE. I believe that the dyno came with an alternative washer, which was wedge shaped, so that might have been of use in this situation...of course I can't find it :x
ps. wash your trike :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

trickletreat wrote:Thanks for posting the pics, that is how mine looked when I offered it up to the bracket, and it just didn,t seem quite right. I will have a play and see if I can improve the angle of contact with the dyno track on the tyre.

Examining the wheel on the bottle dyno, I can see that it has worn at an angle from use on the old trike, so probably sat at a similar angle as that when fitted to the ICE. I believe that the dyno came with an alternative washer, which was wedge shaped, so that might have been of use in this situation...of course I can't find it :x
ps. wash your trike :)

Hey, I'd jut rubbed it down ;)

The roads round here aren't good at this time of year. I should be able to get a moment or two next weekend to give it a deep clean...
james01

Post by james01 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The angle of attack is very slight, and the offset from perfect is small, it's exaggerated in the photo.

Although the dynamo does slip in "cold and wet" conditions, it's not a major problem. I just reach round and apply a little extra pressure for a minute or so.

This shouldn't be happening, especially on a Schwalbe tyre with a sidewall track. Assuming you can tweak it to present the best angle to the tyre, a couple of other things are worth noting: the spring swivel points in the mechanical hinge can become stiff, it's worth trickling some oil in there with the dynamo held upside down. Also,check that you've turned the little plastic knurled spring pressure adjuster to maximum, i.e. anti-clockwise as far as it will go.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

james01 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:The angle of attack is very slight, and the offset from perfect is small, it's exaggerated in the photo.

This shouldn't be happening, especially on a Schwalbe tyre with a sidewall track. Assuming you can tweak it to present the best angle to the tyre, a couple of other things are worth noting: the spring swivel points in the mechanical hinge can become stiff, it's worth trickling some oil in there with the dynamo held upside down. Also,check that you've turned the little plastic knurled spring pressure adjuster to maximum, i.e. anti-clockwise as far as it will go.

The pressure isn't at maximum, and won't be until I've made sure that the alignment is better
trickletreat

Post by trickletreat »

There is another possibility, mount inside the front wheel, using a small plate bolted to the mudguard plate...which is very rigid near the headset.

Just botched this together as a demo, allows accurate placement and attack angle.

Yes, pot and kettle , I'll wipe it off later, there is a good wax layer though :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That's an interesting position, should be out of the way, and easy to get to.