Public toilet closures during the winter

Lawrie9

Public toilet closures during the winter

Post by Lawrie9 »

I've noticed on my bike rides that quite a few public toilets seem to be closed during the winter months with the obligatory notice on the door. It is a bit odd as do people suddenly no need use the toilet during the winter. Prehaps it is a cost cutting measure but how much does it cost to to keep toilets open for a few months? It is odd that we can spend £15 million on a doomed World Cup bid but can't afford a few pounds to keep these vital ameneties open.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
rualexander

Re: Public toilet closures during the winter

Post by rualexander »

Yep, this is a total disgrace, they are clearly only intended for use by tourists and day trippers in the spring/summer months, and its not just the toilets, try visiting a national park/forest park/other visitor centre in winter and you will more than likely find the place all locked up, certainly in Scotland anyway.
Also what bugs me is having to spend 20p or more to use a public toilet (I usually refuse to use them on that basis but sometimes you have to), why do we have to pay for them? Why are they not funded out of the council tax like all the other stuff like libraries, schools, refuse collections, etc.?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Most* of the public lavatories in these parts were closed years ago, after being so badly neglected that they would only be used by somebody who was really desperate. Stand by for the inconvenience jokes. :oops:

* I put most to avoid being contradicted but it could easily be 'all'. There seem to be plenty of public lavatories in York, but that is a tourist centre.
simon1

Post by simon1 »

Yes, the only one on one of my regular routes in Fife (conveniently half way, beside a nice bus shelter to sit in out of the wind) is shut for the winter.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

It's going to get worse here in Cumbria. Because of the financial cut backs many of the local councils and county council are planning to close many of the public toilets across the tourist area - permanently. Totally crazy!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simon1 wrote:Yes, the only one on one of my regular routes in Fife (conveniently half way, beside a nice bus shelter to sit in out of the wind) is shut for the winter.

Around here, the nowadays fairly rare totally enclosed type of bus shelter is quite often used to make up for the lack of anywhere else to go.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a thing called a RADAR Key available for a small charge.
These will give you access.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Cunobelin wrote:There is a thing called a RADAR Key available for a small charge.
These will give you access.

Only to a few of them. And you have to declare that you have a disability.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A toilet block that was well known for male meetings was closed in Bristol a few years ago and the local rag interviewed a local council representative who was quoted as saying "the closure of this toilet block has been a great relief". I'm not sure if the comment was made on purpose but I found it ironic.
Richard

Post by Richard »

rualexander wrote:Only to a few of them. And you have to declare that you have a disability.

They're available to anyone. I got one from our local tourist office. About £2.65 I think.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite/ta ... fault.aspx

It's clear from that, that in the formal legal sense, the only disability requirement is if you want the key free of VAT. OTOH, the lavatories themselves are provided for people who need the extra facilities normally provided in 'disabled' lavatories.

A bit academic arounded here because there are no public lavatories (ie provided by the council) of any sort as far as they eye can see, and even further.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The rational for the overwinter closures may be partly to do with the avoidance burst water pipes.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to protect pipes from freezing in that-type-of-building during the recent periods of sub-zero temperatures.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Graham wrote:The rational for the overwinter closures may be partly to do with the avoidance burst water pipes.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to protect pipes from freezing in that-type-of-building during the recent periods of sub-zero temperatures.

Need flexible pipes ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bodach

Post by bodach »

Radar key toilets are supposed to be only for disabled and have wheelchair access.They are locked to discourage misuse by antisocial elements.My observation of public toilets is that a majority seem to be antisocial even in upmarket caravan club sites there are clearly a number of downright uncareing users. I wonder what their houses are like? Thar said radar keys seem to be available to anyone who asks for one.There is also a published list of locations.
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

Indeed these are desparate times.
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)