Italian Road Bike Mirror

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nutsey

Re: Italian Road Bike Mirror

Post by Nutsey »

Seems to me that there is still not any bike mirrors without a significant fault with them. No stand out market leader or product that ticks all the boxes.

I suspect at the current rate i will get a trans-cranial ophthalmo-plasty on the NHS before a good mirror comes on the market.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah, this mirror is ok. It's not got a good wide range or angle, is no good for REALLY seeing properly behind, and is an absolute devil to align properly.

However, when it is aligned correctly it is great for a quick check, especially if you are flying along and need to look behind.

The problem is, is the glue to hold the mirror on!

Thanks for the link, R2
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I'm currently using a Busch & Muller bar end fitting, (on drops). It's small and the adjustment has to be kept spot on, but it's handy for routine monitoring purposes. I still look over my shoulder before pulling out to shut the door though.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nutsey wrote:Seems to me that there is still not any bike mirrors without a significant fault with them. No stand out market leader or product that ticks all the boxes.

I suspect at the current rate i will get a trans-cranial ophthalmo-plasty on the NHS before a good mirror comes on the market.

Have you tried one of these:- http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/276 £5.99p at Halfords or elsewhere,gud kit :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

reohn2 wrote:
Nutsey wrote:Seems to me that there is still not any bike mirrors without a significant fault with them. No stand out market leader or product that ticks all the boxes.

Have you tried one of these:- http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/276 £5.99p at Halfords or elsewhere,gud kit :)

I ride a Brompton, so the vibration through little wheels rules these out I think.

The drop bar ones seem okay, but I plan to get bar end shifters for my Cheviot, so that rules them out too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was out in town yesterday and bought some Epoxy two-part glue - similar to Araldite. I only paid a £1 for it and I'm going to carry out an experiment.

The mirror was previously fitted using Evostick in accordance with the instructions, and seemed to grip and stick very well. It was "forgotten" about as it stuck so well and it was a shock when it fell out! I wish I'd have checked the security periodically and re-stuck if I'd have been doubtful.

Any road up, the rubber unit in the 'bar end has a similar feel to inner-tube rubber, so by sticking some Epoxy on an old inner-tube, I should see how well it sticks. I'll roughen up the surface first and give it a day to harden and cure.

If the experiment fails, I'll have to move up to something a bit more high tech.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

After 24 hours or more, the Epoxy was able to be peeled off the tube with my finger nails, so I tried again but this time cleaning the area with cellulose thinners first. This, I hoped would clean off the rubber properly and de-grease it too.

This gave a bond that I couldn't remove!

I await the new glass .......
Mick F. Cornwall
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

I think those Italian mirrors are good.

I have particular reasons why at times I would like something to attach to the handlebars, even on a drop bar bike. Zefal may make them this way.
Attachments
Ultra Lightweight Mirror made in Germany
Ultra Lightweight Mirror made in Germany
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The mirror arrived this morning whilst I was out riding ......

Anyway, I've fitted it this afternoon and am very happy with it.

I roughed up the rubber mount and cleaned it off with thinners, also the back of the mirror. Then mixed up some epoxy and spread it on both the mount and the mirror back, then squidged them together. I cleaned off the excess with thinners as the epoxy cured, and 20 minutes later it was solid.

Hopefully, this will be the end of the saga.

If not, be prepared for yet another update!
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cyclingthelakes wrote:I think those Italian mirrors are good.

I have particular reasons why at times I would like something to attach to the handlebars, even on a drop bar bike. Zefal may make them this way.

That looks like the most impractical RVM I've seen for drop 'bars.
W H Auden
johhnyP

Post by johhnyP »

Mick - I have ordered one for you in white, to match your handlebar tape:

Once the bleaching process (shown above) is complete, it will be. ...ahem, 'whipped off', polished up and dispatched. The picture shows a "European" (lhd) version being prepared, but I have been assured that they are a universal fitting. The supplier has redesigned the materials and fixtures to solve the problem of the mirror glass falling out: it is now held in with a U-shaped piece of metal and, the replacement of rubber by a 'bone-type' material enables you to choose from a variety of adhesives for extra stickability.

This has all been achieved without compromising the trademark "Cycl-e-quine" styling.

Regards

Johhnyp
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

Does this mirror mount in this fashion? Or is this picture for illustrative purposes?

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/bl ... l#comments

Sounds good, think I'll look into one! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.
It has a rubber set of extensions that go over the 'bar, and you wrap gaffa tape on it to hold it in place. It takes ages to align properly. It can't be done unless you are actually riding. I had to go out for an hour or so with no 'bar tape on the RH side so I could adjust it to perfection by peeling off the gaffa tape, moving the mirror fitting slightly, and re-sticking.

When I was happy, I re-wrapped the 'bar tape over the top of the gaffa tape.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

johhnyP wrote:Image

Mick - I have ordered one for you in white, to match your handlebar tape:

Once the bleaching process (shown above) is complete, it will be. ...ahem, 'whipped off', polished up and dispatched. The picture shows a "European" (lhd) version being prepared, but I have been assured that they are a universal fitting. The supplier has redesigned the materials and fixtures to solve the problem of the mirror glass falling out: it is now held in with a U-shaped piece of metal and, the replacement of rubber by a 'bone-type' material enables you to choose from a variety of adhesives for extra stickability.

This has all been achieved without compromising the trademark "Cycl-e-quine" styling.

Regards

Johhnyp

Nay!,I cant(er) see that catching on,I don't know how you've got the gall(op) to post that.
Anyway if they do catch on they'll be trotting out of the shops :roll:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Resurrecting this thread yet again ...............

Out on a ride this morning, and a "tinkle" was heard. I felt in my pockets to make sure my glasses were still there, and my mobile phone too. Ok.

I was whizzing down a hill at 35mph or so and carried on regardless. Later, I looked into my mirror to check out the car behind me - and no mirror! :evil: :evil:

That's it.
I've finished with the damned thing, and taken off the rubber fitting and re-taped my 'bars.

Bought new in June 2008, and have got through three mirror glasses. Complete load of rubbish that is poorly designed and over-priced.
Mick F. Cornwall