Threadless bottom brackets

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
ChrisButch

Threadless bottom brackets

Post by ChrisButch »

I'm thinking of fitting one of these to a frame with stripped BB threads. There seem to be two brands available - Acor and Prestine. Anybody have any experience of either of these? Do they last? Do they need frequent retightening? Do they run true to the frame and chainline? Any feedback welcome.
james01

Re: Threadless bottom brackets

Post by james01 »

Try searching the forum, there's been some discussion over the years. If I remember correctly, people have had mixed results when using threadless bbs.
willcee

Post by willcee »

YST would imo be the more popular one available in the usual widths 110mm, 115mm etc. i think Stronglight do a expensive one which has adjustable chainline £50plus.... the thing to do with these when fitting is to have two good fitting tools on the bracket [with a strong friend] and get it tight... i mean really tight first time.. will
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

If it's £50 plus, I'd have it rethreaded. £80 at argos racing cycles, when my bike was done. Or simply spend 2-3 minutes removing/filing the thread from a standard bottom bracket cartridge, prior to "glueing" the cartridge in with expoxy resin.
willcee

Post by willcee »

YST are in region of 15 /18 pounds, and they have the life expectancy of any sealed bracket imo.. sure, do a frame repaint after the framebuilder has sorted.. either with a new shell OR their usual split the shell and brase up and rethread if it has been a quality frame and worth all that palaver.. will