dog dazers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chalky

dog dazers

Post by chalky »

No doubt this topic has been discussed before , but I need to know if they work. My 19 year old grandson cycles home from work about 9pm every evening and is regularly chased by a dog. The owner has been asked to keep it in around this time, but that doesnt always work. Do I get my grandson a dog dazer for Christmas. If so, are any better than any other?
Richard

Re: dog dazers

Post by Richard »

My wife has one. She finds it works but not for every dog unfortunately. Very effective when they do; the dog just stops and walks away. Probably worth a try but a problem would be carrying/mounting it. It would need to be readily accessible which means in the hand or on a string round the neck. There is an added danger of having to try and access it then trying to cycle one handed whilst pressing the button. Maybe if the owner won't control it a quick word with your local community police officer might pop round and offer the owner some advice.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I bought one many years ago, for cycling and walking. At the time I researched it thoroughly, and would comment as follows;

Please note that thankfully, since buying it I have never had to use it "in action".

The Royal mail training department with whom I made contact said that their trials showed that they did work, but that individual dogs got used to them and they became ineffective. This made them useless for Post staff, who always had a problem with the dog at "No.13" or whatever. This observation has also been supported in the last 12 months by an aquaintance who works for e-on, re meter reading.

Having said that, I know that Defra farm inspectors are issued with them.

Again, through another contact, a council dog warden said that he experimented with it on his own dogs. One looked at him as if to ask what the hell he was doing. The other wee'd itself and ran off...... Probably not a fair trial as the dogs were not agitated.

I have a previous work colleague who used one on holiday in France, and it worked, and that was against a nasty dog indeed which terrifyingly was running around with a broken chain attached to it's collar!

Subsequent discussions on this forum - if you can find them, will show a pretty much a split set of opinions. Some have good experiences, some have doubts, or ineffective experiences.

As for me? I carry one when in unknown areas. If there is just a 5% chance of detering something trying to stick fangs in me (and average evidence does suggest that there is a chance that it will work), then I'll carry it - albeit as a last resort!

In your case, the problem with a specific dog, may not make it the best option.

You may like to Google "Bite Back" Dog deterent spray, which is used by one company I know of - I'm pretty sure it's legal!? :wink: Not sure if it is available retail though or to anyone not in a uniform.

Hope this helps
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

DavidT wrote:
You may like to Google "Bite Back" Dog deterent spray, which is used by one company I know of..

Quite expensive for the palm version, i.e. minimun order. The large one might be a bit cumbersome to handle whilst riding :?: .
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

DavidT wrote:... You may like to Google "Bite Back" Dog deterent spray, which is used by one company I know of - I'm pretty sure it's legal!? :wink: Not sure if it is available retail though or to anyone not in a uniform. ....

I think it is legal because it is sold only as a dog repellant. If you google dog repellants and don't restrict your search to UK sites, you come up with an american one which is for dog repellant spray, but the accompanying pic shows a woman spraying a mugger in the face. This may seem like legal niceties ( which is because it's a legal nicety) but that makes it a prohibited weapon alongside machine guns and more.

http://www.feelsafernow.com/dogrepellent.htm

As far as Bite Back goes, I can see nothing on their site to say they restrict the sale in any way. Presumably they have permission to use the logos of the Post Office and RSPCA and the Metropolitan Police helmet badge and no doubt they pay to use them because it gives the product the cachet of official approval.

http://www.bite-back.net/
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Regarding Bite Back - Thanks for the clarifications about legality! Sorry if I confused the issue :oops:

I was given a can in a bit of a "cloak and dagger" context, which although a grateful recipient, gave me reason to doubt the legitimacy of my ownership!

Thanks again. Seems a good bit of kit, and addresses the aforementioned problem of individual dogs getting used to a Dazer.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

What kind of a dog is it?

My wife has a dazer but it's always at the bottom of her handlebar bag which is not great.
I attack any dog who attacks me, within reason. They get the message. Years ago on a particular hill there was this big aggressive Old English Sheepdog who attacked cyclists readily. One evening as I passed his house out he tore out full of vim. I jumped off my bike, ran at him with it, cornered him and rammed the bike wheel first into his ribs. Don't know if he got the message, but I never saw him again on that ride.
It's been my experience that if you're closely confronted by a dog, that they don't see or react to a sudden upward kick. I've lifted a couple of them in the air with kicks. They got the message too.

However, I don't look for confrontation with them. My normal practice is to yell at full volume, repeatedly, "Get in" which is a common command in Ireland. This nearly always works. Dogs understand Dog English.
Last edited by Gearoidmuar on 16 Nov 2009, 6:59am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

chalky wrote:No doubt this topic has been discussed before ,...

The whole doggone subject has been discussed before :wink:

Here's an example and I think it has links to earlier exchanges.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27822&p
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

thirdcrank wrote:
chalky wrote:No doubt this topic has been discussed before ,...

The whole doggone subject has been discussed before :wink:

Here's an example and I think it has links to earlier exchanges.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27822&p

Why, you pup! :twisted:
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Most dogs are harmless like making a lot of noise and chasing things, therefore I would stop the bike get off and more likely the dog would lose interest. Alternatively, a water pistol is a cheaper option or even better a water balloon. Old Barbara Woodhouse successfully used the bucket of water method to cure this sort of bad behaviour, but not very practical on a bike :!:
PW

Post by PW »

A good kick or (for repeat offenders) a 12" adjustable across the snout usually sorts things.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PW wrote:A good kick or (for repeat offenders) a 12" adjustable across the snout usually sorts things.

I was going to suggest "introducing" them to Mr Shimano or Mr Specialized(depending on which I'm wearing) :|
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I had my face pulled off by a dog when I was a kid, thankfully only a dim memory now. I'm left with a lop sided smile and look like a pub brawler. Of all of you I've more reason than most to go around assaulting shouty dogs but it's not something I find neccessary. A loud gerroudofit! usually does the trick or go faster! It's usually just bravado, if you stop and say hello they don't usually come near, but keep the bike between you just in case. I've not been bitten since, I just treat new dogs with respect.
byegad

Post by byegad »

The Dazer works on most dogs, we have two as my wife had a bad experience with an attack when a child. So we use one for cycling and one for walking. The cycling one is fitted with a short piece of bootlace so it can be attached to a bike and not get in the wheels if it is dropped, I then clip it to a loose zip tie within easy reach on the bike. They confuse a dog enough for you to beat a hasty retreat.

Also an Air Zound fully pumped up will deter an attack. I know this from experience when a Black Labrador charged a bunch of us with hackles up and in full snarl mode. I dropped the Dazer, it hung on the bootlace so rather than fumble for it I pressed the horn. The dog stopped dead in its tracks. Given that the makers of the Zound say it will deter a bear attack and they're Canadian so probably know this from experience I tend to use the horn first these days.

In order to be effective you need to use both at close quarters so need to hold on until the dog is close, something that a nervous user, like my wife, is inclined to forget at the time of use!

The earlier editions of Richard's Bicycling Book have suggestions as to action should the dog keep coming. These I whole heartedly endorse.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

In my opinion they do not work, I think you would have more luck if you threw it at the dog.
Attachments
Picture 0080.jpg
May the wind always be at your rear!