Injured by chainring - would like a bash guard

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
patricktaylor

Injured by chainring - would like a bash guard

Post by patricktaylor »

I've always thought an unprotected big chainring looks dangerous. My old MTB has a bash guard but my tourer doesn't.

I was out cycling today on my fully-loaded tourer (four panniers and tent), practising for a forthcoming Denmark tour. I stopped at the side of the road to answer my mobile phone. Astride the bike I reached down to the rear offside pannier, and as I did so the weight of the front panniers swung the fork round hard to the right and the bike tipped sideways, driving the big chainring into the lower part of my right shin.

Immediately blood began spurting everywhere and a swelling appeared, like half an egg under the flesh of my shin. I thought I might have severed an artery or something. I was amazed at the amount of blood already on the ground and in my shoe. I lay on the pavement with my leg propped up a wall and my fist clamped over the wound, then a woman motorist stopped and called an ambulance, and tied something tight round my leg. While we waited I phoned my son to come for the bike.

Later, when I got home, I could see blood on a couple of teeth of the big chainring. So now, I'd like to fit a bash guard. The chainset is Shimano Deore and the big ring has 48 teeth. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows where I might get one without replacing the whole chainset.

Incidentally , this accident was caused by the sheer weight of the fully-loaded bike and the fact that I was stupid enough to stand astride it while leaning down. Next time I'll get off the bike when I stop. But I'd still like a chainring guard.
johnmac

Re: Injured by chainring - would like a bash guard

Post by johnmac »

When I decided to get one for my shopping bike, I found that I had to replace the big ring, since Deore ones are not normally drilled for the screws of the chain ring guard. BTW, as far as I can assertain, a 'bash guard' is something different to a chain ring guard, to do with mountain biking, I think?

Try St John St, if you want a big hefty aluminium thing. I'm trying to remember where I bought my Shimano plasic one (complete with new big ring).

edit: here it is, but out of stock http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19935
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Ouch! That sounds quite painful Patrick. I hope you recover in time for your Danish tour. The touring bike is transformed when fully loaded into something akin to a large lumbering dog (with teeth, it would seem!) that needs keeping on a steady lead sometimes.

I think I have one or two 48T bash rings unused in the loft, transparent or black. PM me with your address and you can have one for free.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ouch!
Sorry to hear of your gashed leg.
I wonder that ring guards aren't readily available, it isn't beyond the wit of man to drill a chainring and bolt one on. Good luck with your search.

Has this jeopardised your tour?

BTW, this is yet another reason to use a trailer, rather than heavy panniers!
Mick F. Cornwall
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

johnmac, yes, that's the sort of thing, but it's actually discontinued. Strange. I notice the Raleigh Royal tourer is fitted with a chainring guard.

Jerry, many thanks. That's very generous indeed. I'll send a pm. My leg is now bandaged and will soon be fine :D Thanks to Mick as well. My panniers cost a packet so it's too late for a trailer. I was mostly amazed by the amount of blood that spurted out from a few little holes. I'll now be packing a first aid kit complete with tourniquet.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Will you be updating your avatar to include the bits of blood and skin? :)
PH

Post by PH »

OUCH! Hope you mend quick.
There's three sorts on chainring cover. Bash rings that replace the outer ring, not much use to you. Bash rings that gp on the outside of the existing rings, usually found on DH MTBs, there to protect the ring/chain rather than the rider. Chain Reaction have a selection of these two sorts, it'll usually say if it's for a triple, but if not you can tell the difference as the triple version has a cut out for the crank;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=143

The third sort is plastic and used to keep loose clothing from getting caught up. I'd have thought it'd serve your purpose. They seem to be pretty much standard equipment in countries where cycling is considered a normal activity. http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/299-470951
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Patrick, I hope you mend fast, at least with a lot of blood leaping out of your wound, you have lessoned the risk of infection.

I have one of these Bash guards fitted to my bike. It also saves you getting oil on your legs or clothes as well. Cyclesence Tadcaster supplied mine, they came automatically when I purchased the bike from them last summer.

Hope you get sorted. Now at least, I know the name of the gadget you describe!

Mary
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Ouch! Have learnt from experience, over the years, that a loaded bike can be a very different animal to handle than an unloaded on. Have certainly had my fair share of chain ring marks on my right leg but nothing that bad. Worst I ever had was my (unloaded) mtb unbalancing whilst I was taking a photo, the spd gashed my calf, however it was sufficiently deep that it hardly bled, but did require 8 stitches (I still took the photo).
That should have taught me not to stand with the pedal against my leg in order to balance the bike..................! :lol:

Hope it recovers soon and does not alter your holiday plans.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Thanks for the further replies.

The 'Push Chain Wheel Guard' in the link above can't be fitted to a Hollowtech II type chainset. I could buy a complete new Deore LX touring groupset (with wheel guard fitted) for £180! The good news is that Jerry (CREPELLO) has very kindly offered to send me a guard :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Patrick, I'm really sorry but I've been confounded by bad memory and the wrong guards in my store. The Stronglight one is a five hole fixing and the other one is four hole but for a 44T ring :( . I also have a new Deore 48T chainset in store which does have attachment points which probably got me thinking that there was a matching guard somewhere and as I can't find one my memory must have mistook this observation for there being one that came with it :roll: The old Deore on my Galaxy doesn't even have the required holes. Sorry to raise your hopes.

So is there anyone else out there that can help Patrick? I imagine a lot of us must detach these guards from our new bikes for vanity's sake, or is it just me? What's lying at the bottom of your shed, gathering dust?
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Jerry - no worries at all, and many thanks for your help.

I'll just have to be more careful with my loaded bicycle. But it is surprising that chainring guards aren't more easily available, if only for protecting door thresholds when lifting heavy bikes in and out of the house, or up and down steps, in and out of trains, etc (not to mention smudging one's legs with dirt off the teeth).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

patricktaylor wrote:(not to mention smudging one's legs with dirt off the teeth).

Dirt?
On chainrings?
Good grief man!

Get a grip and get cleaning that transmission!
Mick F. Cornwall