People from the Stroud CTC west area, can you remember?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Kahu

People from the Stroud CTC west area, can you remember?

Post by Kahu »

Back in the 1970's I used to buy components from a cycle shop in Westward Road, Ebley nr Stroud, the shop was located on a kink in the road, the windows were always covered in grime, it was all a bit rundown, however the guy who owned it was very helpful and the shop was always well stocked ....... I've been racking my brains trying to remember the name of this shop, anybody remember ????? I've found the building on Google Earth, it's now a telecoms shop (244 Westward Rd)

Ta Kahu
Kahu

Re: People from the Stroud CTC west area, can you remember?

Post by Kahu »

I think I might have put this post in the wrong place ....
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Before my time, but it might be related to this place, which can't be far away: http://www.cytekcycles.co.uk

I'd call it small and a bit scruffy rather than grimy and rundown, but I've always found them very helpful. Neither of the guys there are old enough to have been around in the 70s.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Yes I know the place that you mean, it's further along the road at the Cainscross end, as to any connection I don't know.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

You mean the late Gilbert Tindall's shop. BTW, there was another shop just along from where Cytek is now back in the early eighties called Pedals.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Bingo! ... thanks for that, I was only thinking this afternoon that the shop was called Tyndale's, Tindall's it was then, I did not know that his name was Gilbert, can you remember anything else about him or the shop?
FluffyBear

Post by FluffyBear »

I used to get most of my parts there in the late 1960s early 1970s. I bought a bargain Hetchins which I still own now restored. I rode on a ride with Mr Tindall when he was in his later 80 yrs.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

I still have a Milremo handlebar stem I bought there in the early 1970's, I think he sold a lot of Ron Kitching components.
FluffyBear

Post by FluffyBear »

Yes I have one on the Hetchins I bought from there. The Suntour Skitter was a poor gear so I replaced it with a Huret Svelto fron his shop. One senior rider in his seventies in 1969 had a silver thanet. His son sold it a few yrs ago and a guy from a walking stick factory has it now, it says all original equipment, I remenber Bert has different gears then lol Its a bygone era now a bit like the Taylor Brothers video all their working life.
ianforbeskinsella

Post by ianforbeskinsella »

Hi - I am now in my eighties and whilst at school in Stroud was a member of Stonehouse Wheelers.
Many of our members purchased bike components from Tindalls
I used to spend a lot of my leisure time whilst riding between home (Stonehouse) and school hanging around at Tindalls and got to know Gilbert Tindall - he taught me a lot about building bikes including the art of lacing road wheels. A forgotten Art ??
I think in those days (1950's) he stocked names like Claud Butler, Dawes, B.S.A Armstrong, Holdsworth and of course Raleigh
Any members of the Wheelers wishing to follow up this post please do and keep peddling! even if like me, on an e bike!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I used to buy parts from Tindall's – though I can't remember the correct spelling – and in 1985 bought my first brand new bike from Pedals, which was run by a bloke called Colin, I think. Tindall's was by then run by someone else – maybe Gilbert's son? Or maybe someone who had taken over the business from him. Pedals was a far more accessible shop, which you could walk into, actually see bikes and ask about them. Tindall's was a dark cave which produced mysterious components and greasy spanners, a delight for the senses. By the way, Pedals wasn't always based where Cytek is now: it started there, then moved across the road to a shop set back a little from the road – I can't remember if it was directly opposite (now a private house) or the site that is now the "original factory shop": https://maps.app.goo.gl/SMYiFMZUSX1czQrY6

Here's an old (1980s I'd say) photo of Tindall's:*

https://www.facebook.com/stroudareaphot ... 38/?type=3

I also road with the Stonehouse Wheelers shortly after that, so maybe 1985 to 87.

*It actually says 1988, doh!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This might also be of interest to nostalgic old Stroudies:
https://www.stroudlocalhistorysociety.o ... dal-power/