Custom Storage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PaulK

Custom Storage

Post by PaulK »

OK So i have my fab new bike and im very pleased thank you very much.. :)

However the Missus wants me to store the carbon beauty in the garage "There's Plenty of room in front of the car" she sayeth..

Now we can all see the car crash (literally) coming, as i instantly have visions of my new pride and joy getting crunched between the back garage wall and the front bumper leaving little fragments of carbon sticking out from a previously pristine frame....
Needless to say that was a hard no from me :)

So for the moment it lives in the dining room as she quietly seethes ...... :wink:

Anyways im planning a custom little shed, where the bike would be stored on its back wheel.
Nothing fancy basic box + door with some feather edge all round.
Add in a shelf or two for tool and cleaning stuffs..
Anyone built something similar.

P
gaz

Re: Custom Storage

Post by gaz »

I've secured some 2"x2" wooden blocks to the garage floor.

Has proved to be sufficient to prevent any low speed misjudgements for about the 20 years that we've had the garage.

On the other hand, it's annoying having to move the car out of the way before going for a ride.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Years ago I knew someone who kept their large chest freezer at the back of the garage. As I guide as to where to stop the car, they hung a ball (tennis or squash ball I think) from the roof. When the ball touched the windscreen (right in front of the driver's face), that was the time to stop. Doesn't stop the "my foot slipped of the clutch" (assuming your car has a clutch of course!).
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Keep the car on the drive.
Simples!

(Don’t you get more rust keeping it in the garage, because it stays wet underneath?)
drossall

Post by drossall »

We don't have a garage, so I've never really faced this :D

But, if we did, I think I'd prefer the garage to any outside store, on security grounds. I vaguely remember seeing some arrangements where people store bikes horizontally on a lift-type arrangement, above the car bonnet. The nearest I could find was this, but the ad is American by the looks of it, so it's a massive garage space with room above the car roof. In typical UK garages, I'm sure that you'd have to position it carefully in the way I suggested. But you get the idea? Maybe something more home spun, though frankly the store and storage are going to cost you that much anyway.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Hang a small soft weight from the ceiling positioned such that you stop with it just touching the windscreen. Marks the stop position for the car.

Ian
peetee

Post by peetee »

Is there space for the bike to hang flat to the wall above the bonnet line of the car?
DBD9B035-D1A4-4A44-AFEB-B5BA8421BC6B.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PT1029 wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 9:03pm Years ago I knew someone who kept their large chest freezer at the back of the garage. As I guide as to where to stop the car, they hung a ball (tennis or squash ball I think) from the roof. When the ball touched the windscreen (right in front of the driver's face), that was the time to stop. Doesn't stop the "my foot slipped of the clutch" (assuming your car has a clutch of course!).
Psamathe wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 11:01pm Hang a small soft weight from the ceiling positioned such that you stop with it just touching the windscreen. Marks the stop position for the car.
Excellent method.

Ramped mats are also available. But the hanging ball is better for left-right alignment.

Jonathan

PS: I think it's safer to reverse in than to reverse out.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

drossall wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 10:52pm We don't have a garage, so I've never really faced this

But, if we did, I think I'd prefer the garage to any outside store, on security grounds. I vaguely remember seeing some arrangements where people store bikes horizontally on a lift-type arrangement, above the car bonnet. The nearest I could find was this, but the ad is American by the looks of it, so it's a massive garage space with room above the car roof. In typical UK garages, I'm sure that you'd have to position it carefully in the way I suggested. But you get the idea? Maybe something more home spun, though frankly the store and storage are going to cost you that much anyway.
Thinking vertically often adds more options.

The Windcheetah used to live above a car and got there on a system of ship's rigging. I've described this in more detail somewhere in the archives.

Jonathan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would probably make something like a C shape in timber and leave it on the garage floor so that you would have to drive over the long side of the 'C' to get close to the bike. The two short sides of the 'C' shape would hold it away from the end wall. If 4x2" timber is used, you can make it so that it would only be possible to hit a parked bike if you drove over a 4" piece of timber first.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Large plastic coated metal hook screwed into the garage wall available for a fiver or less from your local DIY/Amazon. Hang the bike by the front wheel. Arrangement should be so that bike is side on to bonnet.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

freeflow wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 10:38pm Large plastic coated metal hook screwed into the garage wall available for a fiver or less from your local DIY/Amazon. Hang the bike by the front wheel. Arrangement should be so that bike is side on to bonnet.
Actually much easier to hang by the back wheel. (Idea cribbed from Scotrail bike storage on trains)
Pick up the bike by the frame, both hands share the load, hook the back wheel. Better than having the front wheel waving about trying to hook the wheel without scratching the car, or wiping your trousers over the filthy car.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I bought a Sheffield stand and cemented it the garden, however much depends on the levels of bike crime in your neighbourhood, I suppose… In my wanderings round town, I’ve seen all sorts of small garden bike sheds, some obviously home made and others, mostly metal, that look shop bought.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
slowster

Post by slowster »

There are a few options for hanging a bike against a wall at an angle as shown in the photograph below, which should enable the wheels to be positioned such that they were out of the way of the car. For example,

1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Update-Horizon ... B07LF786WF

2. DIY - https://michaelperetti.com/blog-catalog ... wall-mount

3. The rack shown in the photograph is £10 at Halfords - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-s ... 57613.html. It has no supports for the tyres, but you could make those yourself, e.g. using a wooden batten like in 2 above.

Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I got 6 bikes like that
2 rows of 3 bikes ...they lift in off easily..even the top one ....highly recommend that