P-38 build

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Re: P-38 build

Post by UpWrong »

I've put the P-38 up for sale as a frameset plus extra components and accessories, so it's in the parts for sale section here. I'm not a great fan of the seat and the closed riding position although both have their merits. And the BB is a bit higher of the ground than I would like perhaps.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

In the meantime I'm going to try out a 27.5 wheel on the back. A 700 made the seat a bit too high for me, the 559 possibly lays it too far back and raises the BB too high, so maybe a 584 wheel will feel right. I have such a wheel but I need to get a matching tyre and inner tube.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I realised the 27.5" wheel has a 7-speed hub. Was pondering building a new wheel then thought I'd see if a 9-speed cassette fitted. Well, it does if I leave the top sprocket off. So I'll be running a converted 13-34 8-speed cassette. I rarely used the 11T sprocket anyway. At least I can try it out without spending too much time or money. I've ordered a 35-584 Kojak from SJS and a couple of inner tubes.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Had a devil of a job breaking the beads of the Kenda tyre on the 27.5" rear wheel. The new Kojak went on ok with 3 loud pops as the beads seated during inflation. I re-indexed the rear derailleur and set the limit screws. Also had a torrid time realigning the BB7 disc caliper, it took me 8 goes - a whole afternoon. Had an hour's ride today. The rear axle is around 16mm higher but I can still get my toes down ok because the seat is more upright and it's front edge more horizontal - I didn't adjust the seat stays. The steering is a bit lighter due to less trail.

I've been having a confidence crisis on hills but the more upright seat helped with that today. I got up a hill that's been defeating me with a high cadence in 2nd gear. The seat is still sufficiently laid back that I'm not coming off the front of it.
IMG_20240408_150439_HDR.jpg