New funding for Kent cycling routes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Re: New funding for Kent cycling routes

Post by gaz »

FTFY: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c88417d33m1o

Active Travel Fund 4 Extension Capital Funding
Kent £1.2m
Medway £0

Capability Fund Revenue Funding
Kent £1.128m
Medway £0.45m

Figures from DfT through links here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/101- ... nationwide

It will be interesting to see how KCC and Medway propose to use it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I assume it will be the usual disjointed system.
There will be shared use infrastructure put in where it is convenient to do so - often providing extra parking space for motorists.
I have a decently laid path near me which when not blocked by HGV's gives me the opportunity of visiting the Amazon warehouse.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:25pm Active Travel Fund 4 Extension Capital Funding
Kent £1.2m
Seems that the money will go on rebuilding the Medway tow path route between Aylesford and Allington that has been closed for about four years.

In my view,

Pros: Certainly needs fixing, not likely to attract opposition.
Cons: It's a primarily leisure focused route with a host of unresolvable issues that will prevent if from ever being more than that.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

gaz wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 8:21pm
gaz wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:25pm Active Travel Fund 4 Extension Capital Funding
Kent £1.2m
Seems that the money will go on rebuilding the Medway tow path route between Aylesford and Allington that has been closed for about four years.

In my view,

Pros: Certainly needs fixing, not likely to attract opposition.
Cons: It's a primarily leisure focused route with a host of unresolvable issues that will prevent if from ever being more than that.
When I've ridden it - some years past - the river banks seemed to be very popular with anglers - sometimes it was difficult to get past.
Inevitably there are meandering pedestrians - not great for cycling - probably ticks a box or two.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

'You can't have your high-speed rail north of Brum, but you can your poxy cycle track in Kent.' (Said tongue in cheek).
I should coco.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Valbrona wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 5:43pm 'You can't have your high-speed rail north of Brum, but you can your poxy cycle track in Kent.' (Said tongue in cheek).
I could make a remark about Birmingham being in the North - but I lived in Scotland for some years so I don't think of it as being "Northern"
I must say the "improved" towpath will do little to compensate for the loss of HS2 - I assume the funding comes from the money left over from scrapping HS2 - basically what's left is a Birmingham to nowhere line.
Sorry for the thread drift.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The usuall government political pretence of doing something, but in reality frittering money away. Just think how this would be presnted if it were a road project.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 10:15pm The usuall government political pretence of doing something, but in reality frittering money away. Just think how this would be presnted if it were a road project.
It wouldn't be remarked upon. The futile Dartford crossing relief road (Lower Thames Crossing) is more expensive per mile than HS2 but there's almost no complaint from the press.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.