Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Re: Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Post by Revolution »

North Somerset Council are saying "Tutshill greenway is currently closed. We are finalising legal agreements so that the remaining works can be completed. All sections of the Pier to Pier Way are expected to be fully open later in 2023."
Surely they will be announcing a grand opening when it does finally happen?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Delayed until the autumn (dosent say what year). The farmer is in dispute with the council again. The council should have enacted a compulsory purchase order when this route was first proposed 40 years ago. I think they are regreting it now.
https://www.facebook.com/10005465496098 ... 7S9Ucbxw6v

And from 2011 viewtopic.php?t=109234#p1052041
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Something seems to be happening. Within the last week or so some new NCN route signs have appeared between Clevedon and Yeo Bank Lane with some very fancy finger posts still wrapped in plastic at the junction. Next time i'm that way i'll take some pics.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

https://www.facebook.com/ClevedonAndWestonCycleRoute
Looks as if it's inching towards an opening soon. In time for Xmas anticipating previous openings which have all been missed. Some signs appearing (see the Facebook link) which may be good news.
:)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Looks like the spring opening has now slipped to Summer. :( so still on the cards for Xmas. If the Clevedon seafront issue is not resolved it may be next year. :(
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:09am Looks like the spring opening has now slipped to Summer. :( so still on the cards for Xmas. If the Clevedon seafront issue is not resolved it may be next year. :(
The Clevedon seafront is perhaps 200m long and being at the terminal point makes no impact to the rest of the route and issues caused by a handful of nimbys at that point should not impact opening the route. Once the Tutshill crossing is opened there will be a lot of use of the middle section of the route, not so much of the extremes, especially at Clevedon as onward connections require a trip through the town centre until such time that a route is opened through the golf course!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Latest update of this ongoing saga, missed the Easter opening again.
https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/news ... -not-open/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote: 3 Apr 2024, 11:05am Latest update of this ongoing saga, missed the Easter opening again.
I'll take a shufti when next i'm there, maybe as soon as tomorrow! :roll:
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

rjb wrote: 3 Apr 2024, 11:05am Latest update of this ongoing saga, missed the Easter opening again.
Kingston Seymour parish council does seem to have been consistently the best source of information, but even here there is ambiguity. Describing it as a construction site could mean that legal matters have been settled, and work is progressing on the north side, but it could mean that construction works on the south side are still in progress.

I am surprised by the NCN signing, the only parts meeting the 8 to 80 criterion for retention in the network are the fraudulent construction on The Beach, the estuary embankment section and the off road section across the Yeo. The rest I find can be quite nervous, meeting fast moving local traffic on narrow dyke bound roads is not an 8 to 80 experience. I have never been along the old toll road in Weston, the thought of a narrow road with speed bumps and an unfenced cliff edge is somewhat offputting. Perhaps NCN status will vanish as quickly as The Beach cycle path. The future contraflow lane on The Beach should help to raise the danger level there to the same as Strode Road.
mjr

Post by mjr »

wjhall wrote: 4 Apr 2024, 8:37am I have never been along the old toll road in Weston, the thought of a narrow road with speed bumps and an unfenced cliff edge is somewhat offputting.
I used to ride the Kewstoke Toll Road often. The speed bumps have bypass lanes for cycles, the worst drops are fenced ( but not all ) and the low signed speed limit and notorious motorist deaths mean most drivers go slow. There's also a gravel track above it as a slow/scenic alternative. The most annoying thing is the big difference that wind direction makes: some days you're freewheeling uphill, others pedalling hard downhill.

But it's not the NCN, is it? NCN 33 goes south of the hill from the new crossing, through Queensway shops, Worle station and the suburban sprawl near the A370, then Hutton Moor where 336 branches off to WsM station and the beach.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wjhall wrote: 4 Apr 2024, 8:37am
Kingston Seymour parish council does seem to have been consistently the best source of information, but even here there is ambiguity. Describing it as a construction site could mean that legal matters have been settled, and work is progressing on the north side, but it could mean that construction works on the south side are still in progress.
Construction on the south side appeared to be complete as long ago as 2022 (I did a sneak explore all the way through to the blocked Wick Road access last Spring), the 'missing' bit is the hundred metres or so from Yeo Bank Lane to the sluice crossing on the north side.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

some of the smart new signs erected over the last few weeks photographed today. Very informative and they even have distances! But the last picture says it all. I rode down Yeo Bank Lane to the farm today, there is no indication that the missing 100m stretch is currently being worked on, no machinery, contractors or materials are in evidence. I'm not holding my breath for 'Spring 2024' :roll:
IMG_6963.jpeg
IMG_6962.jpeg
IMG_6961.jpeg
IMG_6960.jpeg
IMG_6959.jpeg
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for the photos. Methinks that the these signs should be covered up until the missing bit is finished. Otherwise unwary folk will be riding a long way on a wild goose chase.
Chris F, Cornwall