Cargo bike-shares may reduce car ownership

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tim-b

Cargo bike-shares may reduce car ownership

Post by tim-b »

A study that looks at "the car ownership reduction effect of cargo bike sharing."
"The results imply that cargo bike sharing has a notable impact on car ownership."
"Promoting sustainable alternatives outside of the “automobility system” (Urry, 2004) therefore appears reasonable."
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
thirdcrank

Re: Cargo bike-shares may reduce car ownership

Post by thirdcrank »

tim-b wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 7:21am A study that looks at "the car ownership reduction effect of cargo bike sharing."
"The results imply that cargo bike sharing has a notable impact on car ownership."
"Promoting sustainable alternatives outside of the “automobility system” (Urry, 2004) therefore appears reasonable."
I followed your link but my interest waned when I reached the cooky preferences

If I've understood the title of the research, it was published in 2004. Any clues about when these prediction will come to pass?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

It's Feb 2024 research, "automobility system" was a term coined in 2004
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 11:40am
tim-b wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 7:21am A study that looks at "the car ownership reduction effect of cargo bike sharing."
I followed your link but my interest waned when I reached the cooky preferences

If I've understood the title of the research, it was published in 2004. Any clues about when these prediction will come to pass?
Published 2024 (this very month, in fact) and reporting on a study conducted in 2022. It's not a prediction, it's an attempt to assess the extent to which cargo bike hire schemes might encourage households not to buy a(nother) car - as well as people's attitudes towards the cargo bikes.

Potentially interesting but written in the worst kind of academic-ese. The authors never use one word where ten will do, preferably ten long ones.

For a civic decision-maker (a big-city mayor for instance) it could well answer the questions "How do we make a cargo bike hire scheme attractive to our citizens so that they actually use it?" and "If they do, what difference is it likely to make to car ownership and car usage?" But they'd need someone to translate it into plain English first.

If you're put off by cookie preference prompts then I fear 99.9% of the Web will be a closed book to you. :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As I'm sure I've posted before, imo a brief summary of the contents of a link should be enough to make the point, with the link available for anybody needing more.

IMO, the ability to give a brief summary is an indication of the poster's understanding of the subject.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

IMO, the ability to give a brief summary is an indication of the poster's understanding of the subject.
It's there to read for anyone who wants to. Please feel free to have an opinion on cookies, my understanding of a topic and anything else
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 3 Mar 2024, 9:09am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Our daughter and family in NZ have a ecargo bike to take the kids to school and back (need the power to get up a steep hill home) specifically to avoid getting a second car.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

The city of Düsseldorf is gradually building mobility stations with e-cargo bikes for hire, amongst other things. These are expected to reduce the number of second cars in the city, and maybe a few families will go car-less. I see plenty of (mostly) mums with kids in these bikes, although I think they own them.

The city has also experimented with offering traders and "Handwerker" (roughly people like plumbers, electricians, painters, etc) loan e-cargo bikes. Some have persisted after the trial because they can get to their customers more easily and they are cheaper to run. There's even a stonemason who uses one!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
SwiftyDoesIt

Post by SwiftyDoesIt »

Car ownership/car buying has fluctuated in Netherlands but since 2014 to 2019 there was a marked increase (in new car sales). Only due to 2020 and global situation of people being skint and car parts/manufacturing problems in 2021/22 has there been a downturn but again the Dutch car market bounces back despite the significant cargobike use.

2014 387,569
2015 449,350 15.94
2016 382,825 -14.80
2017 414,306 8.22
2018 443,531 7.05
2019 446,057 0.57
2020 357,996 -19.74
2021 324,336 -9.40
2022 313,609
2023 369,791
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

Car ownership is increasing in Germany. I couldn't find a good graph but this map shows that almost everywhere grew, particularly in Bayern (Bavaria).

Cars per person 2022 / Growth of total cars 2010-2022
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.