Tour of Flanders - GCN App

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Ontherivet77

Tour of Flanders - GCN App

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Has anyone been having trouble with the GCN tv app today? I've had issues with screen size changing from full size to 3/4 size repeatedly throughout the race. Issues do not appear to be on tablet just TV applications. Anyone had similar trouble and know of a quick fix. (I'm using a fire stick).
sizbut

Re: Tour of Flanders - GCN App

Post by sizbut »

They have introduced a picture-in-picture feature. Its on Android phones and tablets, don't know if its also on other devices.

There's an icon in the top-right which has the effect that your describe - well, makes it go between small screen and full screen. If I recall there is an option in the settings not to automatically use it (and some dolt of a developer decided we all want it switched on by default rather than only when we click the icon for it).

Being next to the Cast icon I've also managed to fat-finger switch it on a few times when I didn't want it.

On the phone its close to useless. On the larger tablet display I can see its use, but not to me as I almost always cast the stream to a TV s0 the tablet display is free for other apps anyway.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Okay thanks I will have a look for that icon on the fire stick and see if I can turn it off.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 8:21pm Okay thanks I will have a look for that icon on the fire stick and see if I can turn it off.
I used it on my firestick today, and the picture was fine, if a little grainy.
It was my first day as a subscriber. Quite entertaining, if a little painful, to watch. Pro cycling is pretty brutal.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I was getting those symptoms with a Firestick last year. Seemed to show an enlarged area of the top left of the picture. I gave over watching something thinking it had been filmed in an arty manner. :lol: Then the same happened at the Cyclo Cross.
Reverted to watching it back from the Mac with no problems. Recently bought a 4K Apple TV off Ebay, and the whole app watching, video streaming, experience is so much better than the Firestick.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 8:15am I was getting those symptoms with a Firestick last year. Seemed to show an enlarged area of the top left of the picture. I gave over watching something thinking it had been filmed in an arty manner. :lol: Then the same happened at the Cyclo Cross.
Reverted to watching it back from the Mac with no problems. Recently bought a 4K Apple TV off Ebay, and the whole app watching, video streaming, experience is so much better than the Firestick.
Yep, I started with the enlarged left hand picture then it seemed to settle into the 3/4 4/4 screen thing. Unfortunately, a new TV etc is completely out of the question for me, so I'm hoping to resolve it with the fire stick or I'll be cancelling the package. I'm waiting on a response from GCN so if they come up with a genuine fix (ie not turn it on and off again) I will post it on here.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

An Apple TV box isn’t actually a Television, it’s a “box of tricks” which operates very much like a Firestick. You can download various Apps like YouTube, Amazon Video, Disney, Discovery, GCN, ITV X, All4, BBC iPlayer, etc from the Apple App Store, some of which are free to watch and some of which need a subscription. You connect it to your existing TV via an HDMI cable. So you can watch the Eurosport coverage via either GCN or Discovery.

A new Apple TV box is around £140, depending on whether you go for the HD or 4K version. You may be able to buy one second hand cheaper, but beware of very old versions, as you can’t download the Apps onto them.

I watch Eurosport via Discovery on the Apple TV and have not had any issues. Others may be able to report on the GCN App via Apple TV.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m away in the caravan just now and brought the Firestick with us. :(
Usual different sized pictures yesterday and wished we brought ATV.
However last night I fiddled in settings >display & sound, and got the stick to recalibrate screen, or something like that. This afternoon viewing was without any problem. :D
Worth a try.

E2E info
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

After I contacted GCN they were not sure what was causing the problem, but they did pass it on to their developers. I've not had any response since, but I was able to watch the Amstell Gold Race without any problems. So, I'm assuming they have resolved this for me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they have done, so I cannot advise for anyone with similar problems.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I had a speel of this a month or two back on the TV but not the laptop. Seemed to sort itself out. No idea how to fix it as there are no "controls" as mentioed above visible.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Just an update on this issue. I thought this issue was resolved but the picture in picture problem continued on Fire TV. It was annoying but you could just about watch a race without too much interruption. No problems with the previous Eurosport app I used. Anyway this has been going on for months and no resolution from GCN. The last couple of days my Tdf coverage has been all over the place, so I'm now looking for a refund. A cursory look on trust pilot reviews indicate app problems abound across GCN, Eurosport and Discovery+.
I think if you intend watching races on TV rather than a tablet then I would think long and hard about signing up for this, despite GCN having some good content.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Fair point. I have it on the TV at the moment- on my phone and then mirrored to Apple TV on air play I think. So mirroring might be another route for some- our smart TV is too old to have the GCN app available and the Apple TV gadget is very ancient but seems happy to mirror. I usually watch on my iPad actually so it’s a bit of luxury stealing the living room but I’m having a clear up too.
Attachments
IMG_1567.jpeg
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 12:26pm I think if you intend watching races on TV rather than a tablet then I would think long and hard about signing up for this, despite GCN having some good content.
To be fair the app has improved immensely over the years We have had no issues using the app on any Apple device and it’s used daily in this household. My only gripe is, with ATV scrubbing forward or backward can be challenging and FF at only 8x frustrating.
I’ve had issues with the Firestick which I think from last time I looked hasn’t been updated for a long time. Last used the Firestick in June away in the caravan. It worked impeccably and made me wonder if data speed can contribute to its problems. I use mobile data with around 12 Mb at home but we were getting 25-30 when away in June.

E2E info