Cycle.travel app - how exciting

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
simonineaston

Cycle.travel app - how exciting

Post by simonineaston »

(did a quick search for 'cycle.travel app' but found nothing - wondering if it's brand new)
Have downloaded the app shown on cycle.travel's home page and am much looking forward to trying it. Anyone else used it yet?
banner on web page
banner on web page
phone screenshot
phone screenshot
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Re: Cycle.travel app - how exciting

Post by Paulatic »

You’d see a 5 star review there from Mrs HobieJoe of this parish I believe. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 11:45am You’d see a 5 star review there from Mrs HobieJoe of this parish I believe. :D
this is just for the apple folk at the mo isn't it?

(mega fan of ctravel like many on here - but me personally not the big fruit)
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

So far yes! Android will be this year - I've started tentatively playing around with it. Couple of things I'd like to fix on the iPhone app first but nothing major.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Well, loaded and ready to give it a trial. Certainly looks useful on first inspection.

Thank you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 11:21am So far yes! Android will be this year - I've started tentatively playing around with it. Couple of things I'd like to fix on the iPhone app first but nothing major.
Maybe a daft question richard, but briefly (don't want to waste your valuable time) can i ask what the advantages of the android app will be over just accessing the webpage from an android device?
(Maybe clear that i minimise app usage :). Bit backward maybe.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The main point to the app is that you can just put your phone on your handlebars, fire up the app and go. It'll give you a map to follow and turn-by-turn directions along the way.

Or if you just want a simple point-to-point journey, just type "Paddington station" (or wherever you're going) into it, and ride.

I think the website will still be the first choice for detailed planning. And, of course, if you routinely use a Garmin or whatever then it's less necessary. But increasingly people like to ride with an app and c.t needs to keep up!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Apart from marketing the main advantages of an installed app over web browsing include better control of the display and the control elements, use of the mobile device's facilities such as GPS and recording and calendar functions, and offline working. It can also improve personalisation.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with Richard's.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm partic. excited as my phone came with a Quad Lock, which I haven't used yet. Ideal. Whoo-Hoo!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 5:27pm The main point to the app is that you can just put your phone on your handlebars, fire up the app and go. It'll give you a map to follow and turn-by-turn directions along the way.

Or if you just want a simple point-to-point journey, just type "Paddington station" (or wherever you're going) into it, and ride.

I think the website will still be the first choice for detailed planning. And, of course, if you routinely use a Garmin or whatever then it's less necessary. But increasingly people like to ride with an app and c.t needs to keep up!
many thanks for the polite reply richard.
wish you all the best with the new app and ctravel.
yep I use a (somewhat basic) garmin :)
all the best, will continue to recommend cycletravel to all.
Sweep
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Sweep wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 8:15pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 5:27pm The main point to the app is that you can just put your phone on your handlebars, fire up the app and go. It'll give you a map to follow and turn-by-turn directions along the way.

many thanks for the polite reply richard.
wish you all the best with the new app and ctravel.
yep I use a (somewhat basic) garmin :)
all the best, will continue to recommend cycletravel to all.
Hear hear
Richard M
Cardiff
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...and additionally welcome as am still patiently waiting for ruddy Apple to make their promised cycle direction option available... the scores? multi-billion dollar company - nil; cycle.travel - 1
no sign of Tim Cook knowing about Bristol...
no sign of Tim Cook knowing about Bristol...
S