which factor suncream for british ' summer '

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

sir_lozz wrote:i go for a factor 30, sounds alot but means that you never have to re-apply meaning no need to carry the extra 50 grammes!

*note to self ... re C2C .... if I need a get-out clause .... the amount of sunscreen I would need to carry would perhaps do my back a serious injury*

8)
Dee
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I generally rely on natural sunscreen - i.e. a tan.

It costs nothing, I can't forget to bring it or have it run out unexpectedly, and it doesn't make my hands and bar tape greasy.

I'll use factor 8 to tide me over until I've topped up the tan if it's a particularly sudden start to the summer, or if I go to southern France or Spain, but that's about it.

I reckon that the sunburn times quoted on weather forecasts must be for just about the worst case - an albino, or a redhead who's not been outdoors for ages. I also reckon that the problem is people toasting themselves on the beach, and suchlike occasional intense exposure, rather than routine exposure that a natural tan will deal with for most people.

--------------------------------------------------

On the cancer front, I have read reports of studies that have shown that cancer rates in the US are inversely proportional to the amount of sun, with those in the sunnier areas getting less cancer than those who live in cloudier more northern areas. They get more skin cancer, but less of other types.
CJ

Re: Suncream

Post by CJ »

hubgearfreak wrote:
V4281051 wrote:a hat under your helmet which covers your neck and ears....

or just the hat would do, presumably? :lol:

I don't find sunscreen necessary in Britain - or a hat - but I needed both on tour in central Spain a few years ago. Of course I had to bring a helmet anyway, to put on in case I met a stroppy cop, but it was far too hot to wear as a sunshade and only made my headache worse!

I'd noticed farmers out in the fields wearing sort of trilby-like woven esparto hats, so I went in an ironmongers and bought one in my size (they had them to the nearest centimetre) for a couple of Euros. It was just the thing! I worried it might blow off downhill, but no, the leather headband shrunk slightly when sweaty and worked like a flap to keep it firmly wedged on at speeds up to 40mph (it helped to angle my head so the brim worked like a spoiler), whilst perspiration evaporated from the straw to keep my head cool.

I now see similar hats on sale in British garden centres for ten times the money, in one size doesn't fit all!

I still have my Spanish farmer's hat, and next time I go cycling somewhere that hot I'll take it along. Maybe I'll even bring it to the Birthday Rides!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

In terms of balance I have noticed I get redder quicker on bits of my body not used to the sun but only sometimes :? .... Or whether thats just my rose tinted specs (UVA/B and C rose tint) Cos as a sprog it took a while to 'get burnt'. But overall Ozone layer damage or no I guess you do what works for you........ Oh and yes I am so eternally cynical......... altho' I am a closet altruist at heart (as are some others) the essential nature of the human in a 'capitalist democracy' leans the majority to a self centred mode (drug companies and their ilk are absolutely the pits when it comes to whipping up a scare and then distorting some research to their own ends i.e. profit with the happen chance that someone benefits :) ), I guess balance again leads me to the conclusion that some drug companies profit from the benefits they generally bring as a side effect............. Coughs........ right I'll just get off my Orange box..............
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

CJ wrote:I'd noticed farmers out in the fields wearing sort of trilby-like woven esparto hats, so I went in an ironmongers and bought one in my size (they had them to the nearest centimetre) for a couple of Euros. It was just the thing! I worried it might blow off downhill, but no, the leather headband shrunk slightly when sweaty and worked like a flap to keep it firmly wedged on at speeds up to 40mph (it helped to angle my head so the brim worked like a spoiler), whilst perspiration evaporated from the straw to keep my head cool.

I now see similar hats on sale in British garden centres for ten times the money, in one size doesn't fit all!

I still have my Spanish farmer's hat, and next time I go cycling somewhere that hot I'll take it along. Maybe I'll even bring it to the Birthday Rides!

man in farmer's hat:

PW

Post by PW »

I'm dark skinned and generally don't burn unless I'm silly in an early season heatwave, but for riding in hot weather I always soak my shirt and a Tilley bush hat in water and add Dioralyte to one of my water bottles.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
byegad

Post by byegad »

I usually manage with a Montane Featherlite Smock but need to revert to a good Berghaus at times.

Well you did say British Summer.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

byegad wrote:I usually manage with a Montane Featherlite Smock but need to revert to a good Berghaus at times.

Well you did say British Summer.

i just though id post SUMMER in apostrophes...as its either chucking it down with rain...or scorching hot! :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
CJ

Post by CJ »

andrew_s wrote:man in farmer's hat:

Hey, that's me! Thanks Andrew (now I know what the "s" stands for). What a small world the CTC cycling world is.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The essentials when touring: sun cream, moibile phone, travel insurance, helmet, paracetamol, sunglasses, bottled water.

I omitted to take all of the above on my last cycle camping tour to southern Spain with the inevitable consequences.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A couple of comments...

First, about the "correct quantity", it's a bit of a misleading thing saying people don't put on the "right amount". The "right amount" mentioned by the likes of Which is the amount required to multiply your safe exposure time by the quoted SPF, so if I would normally burn in x minutes then if I put the "right amount" of SPF 10 on then I am safe for 10x minutes. However, I do not need that same amount on for any useful protection, just protection for 10x minutes. if I put on enough to cover me, but not as thickly, then I'll have less time, but as long as I reapply in that time it's a non-issue. Having not timed how long it takes to burn in various sun conditions I just reapply thing layers reasonably often at a degree to which I know I'm unlikely to get burned.

Second, different people are more prone to burning than others. I am naturally pale and I burn relatively easily, so I use more sun cream and in higher factors than my wife, who tans naturally much better than i do. So what cream to use depends a lot on how easily one burns. In my case I usually go for 25+ and reapply fairly often (but even with 25 on I managed to get burned arms back in April..., didn't reapply enough!), but folk with darker complexions can get away with much less.

Pete.