Floating Rotors

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
MikeDee

Floating Rotors

Post by MikeDee »

There are floating rotors out there (Hope, Clarks, Brakeco, Hayes). Is it all hype or are advantages for them for a mountain bike?
bensonboo

Re: Floating Rotors

Post by bensonboo »

They are supposedly more tolerant of the calliper being slightly "off centre" and some people say they are less prone to warping.
Equally some people say they are noisy because slight sideways play can develop in them.
If I had to err on one side... Hype.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I'd tend to agree, two piece rotors can only introduce a potential point of failure on a critical part, traditional rotors milled from one piece of metal quite happily comply with slight bending when the pads grab them, I don't see how a 2 parter could be better unless saving a couple of grams is your end game.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mattyfez wrote:I'd tend to agree, two piece rotors can only introduce a potential point of failure on a critical part, traditional rotors milled from one piece of metal quite happily comply with slight bending when the pads grab them, I don't see how a 2 parter could be better unless saving a couple of grams is your end game.

I'd agree they just seem to be more hi-tech/cost where there needn't be.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I have used them on various motorbikes for donkey's years...Zero problems.

Not QUITE the same as push bikes but I really can't see a problem...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Other disc problems found here too :wink:
The set up on motorcycles over 30 years ago is very similar to cycles of today.............
http://www.braketech.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=69

"What is Full-Floating?

What is Full-Floating?Full floating rotors, such as were originally conceived, were designed to reduce the tendency towards thermal stress induced distortion due to uneven thermal expansion under load. Prior to the introduction (by Brembo) of this design, brake rotors in the motorcycle industry were simply round discs bolted solidly to the wheel. You may remember if you've been around long enough, the rotors on the early CB750 and Z-1's were nearly 7mm thick and weighed accordingly. This was in effort to keep them from warping. Now days, the only road bikes coming through with solid mount (front) brakes are the Cruisers and budget bikes.

Today's Sportbikes abound with trick features and hardware in every nook and cranny. Brakes too. The brake rotors on them work remarkably well considering their mass-produced (read: stamped) manufacturing process. These are technically semi-floaters as the outer SS blade is nearly bolted solid to the carrier via the stamped stainless steel rivets.

True full-floaters move on the carriers, this allows them to self-center in the caliper for reduced brake drag and "float" unimpeded for unrestricted expansion and contraction during repeated thermal cycling. The only serious down side is a bit of rattle that reminds you these are indeed full-floaters.

Does all this guarantee they won't distort under severe duty conditions? No, unfortunately, there's precious few guarantee's these days. But they do perform as advertised in improving overall braking performance while significantly reducing that distortion tendency.

BTW: All Superbikes, GP machines and the like unanimously have full-floating brake rotors"

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tiberius wrote:I have used them on various motorbikes for donkey's years...Zero problems.

Which is really like me saying I can't see a problem with ordinary one piece rotors,I pull on the lever(with never more than two fingers and more often than not just one) of my BB7 cable disc calipers and the bike stops,if I pull too hard the wheel locks up :wink: .
So I conclude that my set up works fine and I've no need to spend any more on expensive floating rotors @ £20 a pop,and have found the rotors that came with the callipers are more than adequate.

That said verrryyy occasionally I experience a slliigghhttllyy warped rotor that needs a tweak of one of the spokes (with an adjustable spanner clamped onto it) to coax it back to truth,otherwise no worries :)
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just to clarify - I have never used floating rotors on motorcycles (not sure what year production motorcycles had them).
There was nothing wrong with fixed rotors at that time early eighties.
You could squeal the front tyre with two fingers at 70 mph and never warped discs either. (Sintered with St Stl rotors).
I would imagine that full floating rotors are on downhill cycles and the fashion is now on other cycles :?:
A bit like 29ers :?
Not all race MTB teams are using them and don't know if any are today..............but you've got to have them :mrgreen:

I have a house full of aluminium frames (MTB) because they have now been discarded and buyers have moved on to plastic.
My two skip trainers are alu frames because that's what turned up at the tip.
I would be happy with the steel (too many of the eighties in the hall too :? )

Two years ago "V" brakes first outing was a bit of a shock, too many years on cantis and road stuff from the seventies.
Discs are just the same just the two fingers or you will be off quick, and I have no doubt that many punters have come to grief with discs..................

P.S.
Think I have seen some full floaters at the tip might get some yet :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

reohn2 wrote:
Tiberius wrote:I have used them on various motorbikes for donkey's years...Zero problems.

Which is really like me saying I can't see a problem with ordinary one piece rotors,I pull on the lever(with never more than two fingers and more often than not just one) of my BB7 cable disc calipers and the bike stops,if I pull too hard the wheel locks up :wink: .
So I conclude that my set up works fine and I've no need to spend any more on expensive floating rotors @ £20 a pop,and have found the rotors that came with the callipers are more than adequate.

That said verrryyy occasionally I experience a slliigghhttllyy warped rotor that needs a tweak of one of the spokes (with an adjustable spanner clamped onto it) to coax it back to truth,otherwise no worries :)

Yeah but......My point was that there are people here worrying about the reliability of floating discs. I was pointing out that floating discs have been around for years on motorbikes, and that should anyone here choose to run with them on a pushbike then reliability (having the thing break up and throw them into a hedge etc) won't be an issue.... :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tiberius wrote:Yeah but......My point was that there are people here worrying about the reliability of floating discs. I was pointing out that floating discs have been around for years on motorbikes, and that should anyone here choose to run with them on a pushbike then reliability (having the thing break up and throw them into a hedge etc) won't be an issue.... :wink:

I think you're right,floating rotors will work I've no doubt but do they work any better than standard rotors?
IMHO I doubt it.
W H Auden
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I don't doubt they are reliable.. But they are more complex so there is an additional potential point of failure.

I can't see how they would perform any better unless it's just weight saving or they are less prone to warp.