Heading for Exmoor - footwear required

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
IanH

Heading for Exmoor - footwear required

Post by IanH »

I’m the proud owner of several books suggesting Exmoor Walks. Unfortunately, starting from Wellington, the starting point for these walks normally includes about 50 miles of cycling, out and back. My heavyweight Brasher boots are fine for walking, but aren’t so good for cycling. Can anybody recommend suitable waterproof footwear for my self-imposed biathlons? Should I take a big leap and buy some (expensive?) Mountain Bike SPD boots/pedals? Or perhaps I should just take the cheaper option - take the boots in my pannier bag?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Heading for Exmoor - footwear required

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Where are you leaving your bike :?:
Cycling shoes would not be good for walking due to lack of waterproofness unless you are going in summer.
I would carry some lightweight sturdy walking boots with me.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
IanH

Post by IanH »

Hi,
I usually secure my bike to a fence post or tree, or suchlike. I try to leave it out of sight of the road, and keep my fingers crossed that it'll still be there on my return. As it's my No 3 bike, a 15 year-old Raleigh, I think it's a risk worth taking.
IanH

Post by IanH »

Moving on,
I think lightweight boots are the way to go. My Brashers weigh in at 1490 grams (a pair). Modern lightweight boots seem to be about a half that weight.
For a test sample, see:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-featu ... 278-3.html
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
You might find some of the coastal walks interesting on Exmoor, most of the moor proper has been farmed up.
If you can ever get further south to Dartmoor this is walking heaven, so much more to see in views as well as antiquities.
Depending on your bike boots I know there are plenty tracks on Exmoor for cycling even more on Dartmoor.
If you are cycling 50 miles to start you must be staying over night :?:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Love them or hate them....

Shimano MT90

I do a lot of investigation of barrows, stione circles and churches, so I find these a reasonable compromise between a walking boot and a cycling shoe

They are good at both tasks, but not perfect

A little heavy compared to shoes

The cleat can cause problems if you are scrambling
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I walked this walk the other week and am here to report that the marked paths were for the most part, little streams. Armed with that info, you may choose to take with you, your most water-proof option...
The Walk of Wet Ways...
The Walk of Wet Ways...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
robert.stanford

Post by robert.stanford »

I regularly bike and hike. My recommendation would be flat pedals and a light weight fabric boot (preferably gortex lined). I like Salamon but any make should work well. The important thing to check is that there is sufficient movement in the cuff to allow peddling. They are also got for winter/wet riding. I know people who walk rough terrain in trainers and others that will only do the same walk in three season leather boots you might need to give some thought for what will work for the type of walking you do. There may have to be some compromise. Hope this helps.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
robert.stanford wrote:I regularly bike and hike. My recommendation would be flat pedals and a light weight fabric boot (preferably gortex lined). I like Salamon but any make should work well. The important thing to check is that there is sufficient movement in the cuff to allow peddling. They are also got for winter/wet riding. I know people who walk rough terrain in trainers and others that will only do the same walk in three season leather boots you might need to give some thought for what will work for the type of walking you do. There may have to be some compromise. Hope this helps.

This is the main problem with cycling with boots, I would say that up too two - three hours or 30 miles you are OK its after that when the lack of free movement in ankles will affect your lower legs / knees, but how hard you push also has bearing, so if you are taking it easy on the cycle is probably best bet.
Flat pedals, even without clips, with boots.
If you take walking gaiters they with add waterproofness to boots and importantly add some perceived stiffness to boots which is what you need unpathed walking.

If you are sticking to track and paths with out much on your back then walking shoes would be OK but if your packing 25 Ibs plus and walking off path then boots are mandatory, if you don't want sprained ankles.
Good luck, as said it depends on the walking your going to do.
Edited - For Grammar :)
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 8 Feb 2015, 6:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
IanH

Post by IanH »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Dartmoor is also an option for me, probably taking my tent and, maybe, the train as far as Totnes and setting up a base camp. That worked well for me last year at Builth Wells.
As for the footwear, I'll probably go for waterproof, lightweight boots and keep my Brashers in reserve.