Pumping up 29er 2.4inch tyres

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
reohn2

Pumping up 29er 2.4inch tyres

Post by reohn2 »

I'm wondering what to do,whether to buy Co2's for pumping up from flat in case of punctures then top up with an ordinary hand pump,or look for a high volume low pressure pump,what do others use.
Any ideas?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beardy

Re: Pumping up 29er 2.4inch tyres

Post by beardy »

Topeak have a choice of high pressure, low volume road Morph pumps or lower pressure, high volume Morph Mountain pumps.
The latter would do the job quite nicely.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... p-prod2908
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

+1 for the Topeak pumps

I use the road morph with gauge (gauge isn't that easy to decipher but it's adequate).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It really doesn't take as long as you think to get wide mtb tyres up to the correct (low) pressure. It is a pain in the backside with a tiny mini pump but a decent pump should make light work of it.

BTW, the gauge version of the Mountain Morph is called the Turbo Morph (who thinks these names up?). I have that one.

New bike R2?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:It really doesn't take as long as you think to get wide mtb tyres up to the correct (low) pressure. It is a pain in the backside with a tiny mini pump but a decent pump should make light work of it.

BTW, the gauge version of the Mountain Morph is called the Turbo Morph (who thinks these names up?). I have that one.

There's a problem carrying a big frame fit pump on the bike,It doesn't fit anywhere :? ATM I'm carrying a small one in the rackpack but wondered if there was something better.I have a Mini Morph which is next to useless with big tyres :?

New bike R2?

Meet the Tractor :mrgreen: :-
W H Auden
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Can't help you with pumping up the tyres, but I love the bike. I want one?

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

There's a problem carrying a big frame fit pump on the bike,It doesn't fit anywhere :? ATM I'm carrying a small one in the rackpack but wondered if there was something better.I have a Mini Morph which is next to useless with big tyres :?

The Road morph came with a bracket that i've fitted to the top tube but i think you may be able to fit this to the down tube on the Longitude.

by the way i see your front mudguard is really "full" . my Bluemells are nothing like those and don't have a mudflap. ?????

also i see that your rack isn't level. i ordered a set of extra long bracket arms so that i could make the rack level. a bit of extra expense but nice to get it level:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... s-ec050394

would like some close-ups of the bike if you can ?

thanks

Bikerwaser
RonK

Post by RonK »

You need a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG Mini Pump. Easily mounted on the frame and much better quality than the Topeak product.

The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

You were saying the other day how the TT lengths on these bikes are very looong, yet I spy a setback seatpost and fairly long stem. Is that because you went for the smaller size of your options?

I woulda suggested the Lezyne also. But anything to stop someone using those gawdawful cartridges TBH. :evil:

Or of course the kinda footpump I have for the dinghy, after all those tyres are about as hefty, hehehe.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks everyone for you suggestions so far.

I'll write a 'first impressions' post of the bike with some detailed photos when I've had another couple of rides on it.

MrJemm
The ETT is long @ 611mm (medium,17.5in model)because it's designed for straight 'bars,the seatpost in the photo is a non standard Easton EA50 with a bit more layback to get the saddle a little further back (without being at full rearward adjustment)with my favourite 1990's TurboMatic 2 saddle on top .
With the saddle in it's optimum position (for me nose of saddle 90mm behind BB and 89cm from pedal at BDC to top of saddle centre)from saddle nose to centre of stem h/bar clamp is 56cm with the standard 80mm stem.
Same measurement on the Vaya(s) is 54cm,but that's with compact drop bars so it's another 75mm forward to hoods.
The upshot is that the GL is in fact quite upright which isn't so bad off road though could perhaps stand another 20mm on the stem without it being a stretch or maybe turn the stem over in the -7deg position and see how things are with the 'bars a little lower.
I've sawn 25mm of each side of the extremely wide 720mm Alt h/bars and am considering Space Bugel bars for their backsweep,though I've not explored the stem length yet and or if the Alt's need more sawing off :? .
It's early days yet for me on a new bike and new h/bar type so I'm not sure other than the 'bars were waayy tooo w-i-d-e.
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Congrats on the new toy John, I'm jealous :mrgreen:
You'll be thankful of those wide bars when you hit narrow twisty singletrack. A short stumpy stem might benefit you there you too. I don't know what the fashion is nowadays but back when I were a younger lad :P us downhilling types all used that set up as it did really make the bikes easier to handle.
For those years I used one of the earlier versions of Blackburns Mammoth pump. Back then they were almost indestructible and did (from memory) a great job of inflating a 2.3" 26" tyre to 40 ish psi. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bla ... p-ec018763
I would imagine that the newer version is better...assuming the suits at Blackburn have any sense.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Lezyne HV Micro Floor Drive V2 ABS Pump from edinburghbicycle.com

The Lezyne HV Micro Floor Drive V2 ABS Pump lets you enjoy track pump-like performance from a lightweight portable pump.

HV stands for high volume. The Lezyne HV Micro Floor Drive V2 ABS Pump is a fatter-barrel pump designed to move more air per stroke into a high volume mountain bike tyre. You could use this pump to inflate high pressure road bike tyres up to around 60psi on a 'get you home' basis. However, for road tyres, we would recommend a high pressure pump such as the Lezyne HP Micro Floor Drive V2 ABS Pump.

When you need to use the pump, unscrew the ABS Flip-Thread Chuck that secures the hose to the pump's base in transit, screw the chuck onto your tyre's Presta or Schrader valve and flip the 3mm-thick stainless steel wire stirrup. You can then inflate the tyre, track pump style, with a foot on the stirrup.

Alternatively, you can use the Lezyne HV Micro Floor Drive V2 ABS Pump like a good quality hand pump and enjoy the fact that the hose connection frees you from the sometimes awkward action of holding a push-fit pump's head perpendicular to the valve it's connected to.
•CNC machined aluminium barrel, shaft, base and handle for light weight and precision performance.
•The pump's ergonomically designed T-handle manages to be very comfortable without protruding in transit.
•The pump's machined Flip Head Chuck is Presta threaded on one side and Schrader threaded on the other to ensure an air-tight seal for years to come.
•The Flip-Thread Chuck features an ABS Air Bleed System button. Once your tyre is inflated, press the button to release air pressure from the hose, thus reducing the risk of air escaping when you remove the Flip Head Chuck.
•Supplied with Lezyne Speed Chuckshould you prefer a push-fit pump head.
•Also supplied with needle valve for inflating footballs and so on.
•The 24"/| 60cm long rubber hose makes it easy to access your tyre valves.
•Supplied with composite matrix frame-fit bracket that mounts onto your bottle cage bosses.
•30cm long.
•Manufacturer's published weight: 150g.

'A compact HV pump design that brings floor pump function and power along for the ride. The aluminium barrel, shaft, base, and T-handle are custom CNC-machined for durability, ergonomics and reduced weight. A stainless steel wire foot peg provides stability while pumping. The ABS Flip-Thread Chuck and 24" | 60cm long rubber hose make it easy to reach both Presta and Schrader valves. Speed Chuck also included. Includes Composite Matrix frame pump mount.'
Lezyne.

'Fact: mini pumps are largely just a waste of time and effort. What you really need is a track pump that has been made small enough to carry with you in a pack when you're hitting the trails. Which is why we have been making good use of this battered and bruised old Lezyne Micro Floor Pump.

This pump has survived countless rides and lots of use and abuse and still continues to fill tyres quicker and with much less effort than any mini pump we've tried.'
WhatMountainBike magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I got a chance to try out a Giant medium sized pump on the 2.4's today as I punctured about 3 miles from home,it was a slow one and as it was going dark I decided to pump it up from 5psi to 25+ according to the little gauge on the pump,I had to pump it up three times on the way.
It's as well I didn't take the tube out as it could've potentially been frustrating.
When I got home I repaired the tube found a small thorn in the tyre but decided to check out the rest of the tyre and found two more thorns stuck in it :shock: .
One had pierced the tube the other not,so if I'd found one in fading light I may have just replaced the tube and thrown the tyre on thinking all was well :?
Just goes to show,always check :)
Anyway the pump worked OK :)
W H Auden
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Just reviving this thread to suggest tubeless as an alternative. I've had two flat in a year since going tubeless, and one of them was a dented rim and the other a sidewall tear.
JohnMcL7

Post by JohnMcL7 »

I have a little Bontrager mini track pump which is around the same size and weight as the hand pump I had but vastly better for pumping up tyres, I came across it oddly enough when a friend on a Genesis Longitude punctured a wheel a ride and one of others in the group had this little track pump.

John