Tyres for Road/Off Road

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Auchmill

Tyres for Road/Off Road

Post by Auchmill »

We're heading for Spain in Dec for several months for some easy off-road cycling. We'll be on dry gravel tracks and some single track also dry and gravelly. But we'll also want to do some road work, for fun and shopping. Schwalve Smart Sams and Landcruisers seem to get good reviews. What do you think?
hamster

Re: Tyres for Road/Off Road

Post by hamster »

Sounds good. I get on well with Specialized Hemispheres on the tandem - they are cheap, tough and roll acceptably well.
123ttam

Post by 123ttam »

I've fitted the Schwalbe Land Cruiser on our mountain bike touring setup

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/active-line/land-cruiser/
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

Thanks for the replies. Any reason to prefer the Landcruisers to Smart Sams?
123ttam

Post by 123ttam »

Preference in tread pattern and also i got a good deal at the LBS for 4 Land Cruisers ;-)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Land cruisers, excellent tyres, have toured on them on/off road several times.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

I fitted 1.9 Landcruisers to the MTB last year.

They worked very, very well. Initially I put them on for a double run along the South Downs Way, which they handled excellently, over the loose flint, grass, tracks and also bits of road - although I did have two punctures on that trip. One was as I turned a corner, and before I could stop, I was riding over Blackthorn trimmings and the other was a tack I picked up (the only punctures I had for the whole of last year come to think of it!).....but to be expected under both circumstances.

I had every intention of changing them back over to the knobbley tyres (I am no regular MTBer, I generally use a touring bike but felt the SDW would be asking too much of it), but I never got around to it. These tyres therefore stayed on this bike, and have been used in all the winter wet roads, muddy tracks and I am pleased with them. I even find that I use the MTB with these tyres on for my main bike at the moment, it has made the bike so versatile and much more "road" friendly - dare I suggest it leaves me wondering if my MTB (a Trek 6700, so nothing special) with these tyres is better for some types of touring than my dedicated 700c touring bike....but shushhh...dont tell anyone! I shall continue to keep them on until they wear out. I reckon you would be very happy with them too :D
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Sounds like a job for Schwalbe City Jet?

Good for paths etc, and really quick on a road.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If a large majority of your riding is on gravelly tracks I say Landcruisers,if it's 50/50 or more road than gravel I recommend Vittoria Voyager Hypers or for a bit more protection, Vittoria Randonneurs.
Hypers are only available in 700x32/37/40c though
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I've used Sire Vittoria Easy Riders from Decathlon for some years now. They work very well in dry conditions on a wide variety of tracks and trails and roll well on tarmac. At £9.99 each they're excellent value.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Reckon the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB should do the trick as it's an all terrain pattern and should never puncture during your holiday avoiding the problem of road side repair or even spoiling your holiday. Hope you have a nice enjoyable time!