How limiting is a rigid bike?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
reohn2

Re: How limiting is a rigid bike?

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
It's a nice trail :) .
What TP's do you have in the Rando's?

For road use approximately 40 front and 45 and a bit rear........

Forgot to answer this bit,you being a Leghorn and not much over 10st I think you could reduce the front by 3 to 5psi.
Landcruisers are a good off/on road tyre,the centre unbroken tread makes for good progress on tarmac and the side knobs help on rutted tracks.A larger volume one,559x47 or 50mm will increase comfort without much loss in tarmac speed with even lower PSI than the Rando's.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:you being a Leghorn

I had to look that one up :wink: Only the English could bastardise the easily pronouncable Italian town of Livorno into Leghorn :roll:

Following your usually dependable and respected advice reohn2, I've ordered a pair of Schwalbe Landcruisers 26" x 1.9 and see if I can take to this riding off road thing - as long as there's no mud and my bike doesn't get dirty :cry: And my eyes don't rattle in their sockets
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:

I had to look that one up :wink: Only the English could bastardise the easily pronouncable Italian town of Livorno into Leghorn :roll:

I dithered when typing that :?
It's a term of endearment,meaning small(light) chicken.
Sorry if I caused offence.

Following your usually dependable and respected advice reohn2, I've ordered a pair of Schwalbe Landcruisers 26" x 1.9 and see if I can take to this riding off road thing - as long as there's no mud and my bike doesn't get dirty :cry: And my eyes don't rattle in their sockets

Don't blame me if you're bike gets mucky,there shouldn't be too much eye rattling with those tyres :)
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:
deliquium wrote:

I dithered when typing that :?
It's a term of endearment,meaning small(light) chicken.
Sorry if I caused offence.

Don't blame me if you're bike gets mucky,there shouldn't be too much eye rattling with those tyres :)

Absolutely ZERO offence - just never heard the term and then discovered it was yet another beautiful language story :)

£20 for 2 tyres that are regularly recommended - and may well change my perception of riding - on road TO then being able to enjoy the tracks away from traffic? I'm happy - and usually late to the party :roll:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I have a suspension fork on the front and locked it out and forgot. I calmly then rode for a hour thinking suspension is great. However towards the end I did unlock it and it did feel easier.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

As a very late (always) adopter - here's my tentative SPD sandal toed dip into having a bike that will cope with DRY hard packed forest roads and bridleways. Encouraged by reohn2 :)

Rode 10 miles up the Gwynant today as far as the Pen Y Gwryd Hotel and returned via the stony 'old road'

I didn't fall off or have any major concerns :D I think I might get to like the non tarmac thang :?:

1990 Raleigh 'Blueridge' 531 frame/chromoly forks - got for free/karma off a wonderfully nice chap on http://www.retrobike.co.uk

The story in pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/ ... 8805712932

Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Immaculate preparation and build as always,just need a pair of ugly black SKS's to finish it :)
It's not a bad track that one,Mrs R2 and I have ridden up it on the tandem :shock: ,but we were quite a bit younger then :)

BTW,Have you tried the one from Waunfawr over to Llanberis?
The climb out of Waunfawr is tarmac(ish) and the descent is similar to the 'old road' you were on today.

You're hooked,admit it :D :wink:
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:Immaculate preparation and build as always,just need a pair of ugly black SKS's to finish it :)

I try and avoid plastic components (and bikes), as you probably know/guessed :P

reohn2 wrote:It's not a bad track that one,Mrs R2 and I have ridden up it on the tandem :shock: ,but we were quite a bit younger then :)

UP IT? ON a tandem? RESPECT. Its had a lot of new drainage work done and hence lots of rather large gravel/stone loose surfacing in parts. Going up will be interesting on the steep parts - on a SOLO?

reohn2 wrote:BTW,Have you tried the one from Waunfawr over to Llanberis?
The climb out of Waunfawr is tarmac(ish) and the descent is similar to the 'old road' you were on today.

No, but I will before next week is out :) That's the way the Snowdon Marathon runners descend - at least one's knees on a bike going very very slowly won't take that kind of beating :)

reohn2 wrote:You're hooked,admit it :D :wink:

I might be ?
Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote: .....UP IT? ON a tandem? RESPECT. Its had a lot of new drainage work done and hence lots of rather large gravel/stone loose surfacing in parts. Going up will be interesting on the steep parts - on a SOLO? .......

I've just been reminded by Mrs R2 that we did walk some of it :oops:

No, but I will before next week is out :) That's the way the Snowdon Marathon runners descend - at least one's knees on a bike going very very slowly won't take that kind of beating :)

It'll be a doddle on you trusty steed :)

I might be ?

You just need to get over the fear of getting dirty :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Lovely looking bike deliquium :D
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Bicycler wrote:Lovely looking bike deliquium :D

Thanks Bicycler. Early tentative days but I'm loving it :D Who says a saddlebag swinging, mudguarded (and flapped) roads only man can't change his spots?

Very surprised at the easy rolling 1.9" Schwalbe Landcruisers on tarmac and they're quiet also. I thought they would drive me mad = WRONG :shock:

The limited, so far, rough stuff dry hardpack also feels good and confident.

Plus they only cost £18.95 for TWO inc postage :roll:
Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
Bicycler wrote:Lovely looking bike deliquium :D

Thanks Bicycler. Early tentative days but I'm loving it :D Who says a saddlebag swinging, mudguarded (and flapped) roads only man can't change his spots?

Very surprised at the easy rolling 1.9" Schwalbe Landcruisers on tarmac and they're quiet also. I thought they would drive me mad = WRONG :shock:

The limited, so far, rough stuff dry hardpack also feels good and confident.

Plus they only cost £18.95 for TWO inc postage :roll:

I found the same with 700x 40's L/C's though I now mostly ride Hypers for tarmac and the type of RS surfaces you've been riding.
Though if it's going to be really mucky L/C's do offer more traction and positive handling.
W H Auden