New Bike or Upgrade?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Jughead

New Bike or Upgrade?

Post by Jughead »

I've got a 20 year old aluminium Specialized Rockhopper that I still use now and again but it's getting past it. The frame is fine (I think!) and would like to upgrade it to the latest spec Rockhopper . Would I be better buying a new bike rather than upgrading the frame with new components? I know I should cost the bits so I suppose the question is would you trust a 20 year old aluminium frame that has had a fair bit of use? :?

Jug
Si

Re: New Bike or Upgrade?

Post by Si »

1993? If you are wanting new suspension on there then you are going to hard pressed as the frame will probably not be sus corected.
As for the drive train, if you just want something that is serviceable then hunting around for bargains and second hand will cost less than a new bike. Still loads of 7spd around.
If you need new wheels as well then the price will start to mount up and a new (or even newer 2nd hand) bike would start to make more sense.

the frame itself though could make an excellent basis for a commuter bike as I'm guessing that it'll have rack and guard mounts.
Sum

Post by Sum »

As Si says, I doubt your frame won't be geometry corrected for a suspension fork nor will it have mounts for disc brakes. Hence you won't be able to upgrade it to the same spec as a modern MTB. However, depending upon what sort of riding you want to do, you don't necessarily need sus forks and disc brakes. I've still use my 1997 Giant XTC for hacking around the local bridleways, as well as a modern MTB for the more bumpy stuff.
fxrextreme

Post by fxrextreme »

i would not trust a 20 year old frame thats had plenty of use unless you are a whippet who rides very easy on stuff!