Fixed gear mountain bike

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mick skinner

Fixed gear mountain bike

Post by mick skinner »

Does anyone have a fixed gear mountain bike?

I've got my eye on an On-one Inbred single speed frame to build up as a fixed machine.

I've emailed On-one to ask about the rear spacing on it and I'm waiting for them to reply.

In the mean time does anyone know of any other steel ss mountain bike frames out there that have 120 millimetre spaceing so that I can use the track hub that I've already got?

Thanks dudes.
philg

Re: Fixed gear mountain bike

Post by philg »

I ride fixed on-road & occasionally ponder s/s on an MTB, but fixed? - too brave for me I think :oops:

Good luck with it anyway
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

On One Inbreds are spaced at 130mm. I had one in the past and ran it SS though did try fixed for a short period but the bike was pure tarmac use.
Si

Post by Si »

With MTBs you can use frames spaced to 130 or 135 by using a disc hub, reversing it and getting a sprocket that bolts onto the disc mount. Of course this means that you can't use a disc brake at the back, but you have got leg braking to back up your rim brake, and you can still have a disc at the front.

As for riding the thing, I've ridden with a couple of chaps who have had fixed MTBs, it surprised me how much they could do with them....almost everything i could with my SS...but it's probably as much down to the rider as the bike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
philg wrote:I ride fixed on-road & occasionally ponder s/s on an MTB, but fixed? - too brave for me I think :oops:

Good luck with it anyway

Yeh yeh yeh.......................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPznTbus3g
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

NUTTER!!! :lol: :lol:
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

Thanks for the feedback.

The choice for me is either a track bike to race at the velodrome that's being built in Derby or a virtually indestructable fixed bike I can ride on the bridle path near my home.

Given that I've descovered riding fixed is good for my knees, I need to ride fixed. So I think the fixed mountain bike option is better because I've got access to the bridle paths more readily than I will have to the velodrome.

But does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells a steel mountain bike frame with backwards facing horizontal (sliding) dropouts and hundred and twenty millimetre spacing?
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Barring paying lots of money for something like a Curtis (who will build whatever you want) I have no idea. Ask on a MTB forum, maybe?
Dean

Post by Dean »

You could just get a nineties steel MTB frame with horizontal drop-outs and re-set it to 120 mm spacing.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Thinking about it more, I was stumped by the mountain bike stipulation.

But if you're talking about bridlepaths and nothing too much more technical than that, I'd get a Pompino or similar and stick the biggest CX tyres on that fit (35mm?). That's a great bridleway machine.

Edit: Not Pompetamine since it's Alfine, not fixed
Sum

Post by Sum »

mick skinner wrote:But does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells a steel mountain bike frame with backwards facing horizontal (sliding) dropouts and hundred and twenty millimetre spacing?

If the drop-out spacing of the Inbred is 130mm then you may be able to narrow this down to 120mm by fitting chain-tugs on the inside. Of course this assumes that the axle of your existing track bike is sufficiently long enough, or that you can swap it with another.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

I was stumped by the mountain bike stipulation.

But if you're talking about bridlepaths and nothing too much more technical than that, I'd get a Pompino or similar and stick the biggest CX tyres on that fit (35mm?). That's a great bridleway machine.

I want a fixed gear mountain bike because the free wheel geared mountain bike I've got is so comfrtable and easy going. I've already got a Pompino, it's ok but I've not got enough space in my house for too many bikes so if I can combine to comfort of the MTB with the fixedness of a fixed bike that would be ideal.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

you can use frames spaced to 130 or 135 by using a disc hub, reversing it and getting a sprocket that bolts onto the disc mount

Smashing idea Si, I think that way I could buy the On-one I mentioned in the OP and just transfere all but the gear components over from my geared mountainbike. The only new component I'll need is the six bolt cog.
brumster

Post by brumster »

My Inbred SS is spaced 135mm @ rear... I don't run it as a fixie, but I have a Surly Troll running 65" fixed using a Surly Fixed/Disc hub ( 135mm) - Fine off road on certain routes.
flash

Post by flash »

Now with nicer wheels and a Avid V brake, instead of the disc. I love it.......