Singlespeeding

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
ratherbeintobago

Singlespeeding

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Contemplating building up a singlespeed 29er for when the weather gets really foul. Problem is that I live in the notoriously flat Pennines.

Anyone got any advice etc? Will I (or my knees) die?
Si

Re: Singlespeeding

Post by Si »

I'd think that you will be OK if you have a reasonable level of fitness and strength.

I do get defeated by hills on mine that I may have been able to ride up on the multi-geared bike....yet on the geared bike I'd have been doing near walking pace anyway so it wouldn't have been much faster. Indeed, I've been with friends who had multi-geared bikes where I'd had to get off but I've still made it up before them by shouldering the bike and jogging the rest!

As for your knees - just listen to your body...if they hurt all the time then give it up. You will also probably find that your lower back really hurts to start with - this'll pass as your muscles adjust.
ratherbeintobago

Thanks. What ratio/wheel size do you run? I'm thinking 33/20 on a 29er as a starting point.
Si

Post by Si »

I have 32-17 on 26" wheels
People used to say to start with a 2:1 ratio (eg 32:16) but this is a bad idea as it can lead to excessive wear.
I found that it is easier to gear down and learn to spin quick on the easy bits, rather than gear up and attempt to grow thighs (and knees) of steel for the hard bits!
ratherbeintobago

33/20 on a 29er is about the same as 32/18 on a 26er. I might have to get used to spinning...
hamster

Post by hamster »

I built one up from odd bits years or so ago. I expected that being middle-aged my knees would give out in no time...
However, you do more climbing out of the saddle, which seems less bad on knees.

It's definitely my favourite bike, you get tougher, fitter and learn to corner faster - speed lost is harder to recover. the first few weeks are pure hell, but a good investment.

Try it, you might like it!
flash

Post by flash »

32 X 18 on mine...
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I'm on 33:19 on my 29er.
Used 33:17 at first and managed some pretty hilly rides but the new gear is better overall I think.