tyre difference

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
3spd

tyre difference

Post by 3spd »

I need to replace my worn out tyres, Continental Vert's. I'm happy with how they've performed so I plan to get the same but........

......they make two types - wired or folding, which have an 80g weight difference, better rubber compound and a £30 price difference, will I notice the much difference for 3 times the price?

At present I ride the cheapies.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
thirdcrank

Re: tyre difference

Post by thirdcrank »

The folding type are intended to be easy to pack if you need a spare afaik.

Instead of a wire bead (the bit arround the tyre edges that keeps it in place) they have a modern space age material which is flexible, possibly a bit lighter, and costs significantly more.

If you just want tyres you will fit at home then ride, I cannot see any reason to use the folding sort.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

3spd wrote:will I notice the much difference

in the wallet, yes. as TC suggests, don't bother. 80g is next to nothing - the weight of a yorkie bare
3spd

Post by 3spd »

What about the "better" compound?
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A link to what you are talking about would help. :? I've just had a glance at the Conti www and it's a mass of innovative technologies.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:A link to what you are talking about would help. :? I've just had a glance at the Conti www and it's a mass of innovative technologies.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ical.shtml
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I've made the mistake of just checking the unread posts results, without seeing that this was on the mountain biking section. My flimsy excuse for this lack of observation is the OP's signature, which I took literally. :oops: :oops: :oops: If I just tiptoe out quietly I hpe that will be OK. Unless the floor opens up and swallows me first. :oops:
Si

Post by Si »

TBH, I've never noticed any real difference in handling between tyres with 'standard' and hyper-spaceage-advanced compounds. I think that a lot must depend up what sort of riding you do, where you ride and how good a rider you are. If you spend most of your time in mud then I can't really see the compound making much difference - tread pattern yes, loads of difference, but not compound. If you spend most of your time on slick rock then compound makes more difference as it may effect flexibility and stickiness in the tyre. Riding style - if you spend most of your time, erm, 'pushing the envelope' then you are much more likely to notice very small differences in grip than if you spend most of your time bimbling down quiet bridle-paths. Likewise, the better you are at bike handling, the more effect equipment might have - if you are rubbish at bike handling then your money might be better spent on a skills course, etc.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Si wrote:TBH, I've never noticed any real difference in handling between tyres with 'standard' and hyper-spaceage-advanced compounds. I think that a lot must depend up what sort of riding you do, where you ride and how good a rider you are. If you spend most of your time in mud then I can't really see the compound making much difference - tread pattern yes, loads of difference, but not compound. If you spend most of your time on slick rock then compound makes more difference as it may effect flexibility and stickiness in the tyre. Riding style - if you spend most of your time, erm, 'pushing the envelope' then you are much more likely to notice very small differences in grip than if you spend most of your time bimbling down quiet bridle-paths. Likewise, the better you are at bike handling, the more effect equipment might have - if you are rubbish at bike handling then your money might be better spent on a skills course, etc.

Round here, wet rock, cobbles, mud and hardpack can make up one ride. In my experience, multi-compound tyres do grip better on wet rock than single-compound tyres; otherwise, there's probably not much in it.

Andy
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If somebody had asked me about any sort chilli compound, without telling me it was used for bike tyres, Tobago is just the sort of place I should have expected to find it in use as a condiment. :oops: :oops: :oops:
ratherbeintobago

Seeing as you mention it, Conti's Black Chili compound is meant to be very good...

Andy
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Feel the wire bead is better at surviving rough roads as the Kevlar ones are usually the ones with lighter sidewalls and can puncture more. Have a wee look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB a good all-round tyre and tough as old boots and is cheap to buy.
ratherbeintobago

Bikefayre wrote:Feel the wire bead is better at surviving rough roads as the Kevlar ones are usually the ones with lighter sidewalls and can puncture more. Have a wee look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB a good all-round tyre and tough as old boots and is cheap to buy.

It's not a proper MTB tyre though.

The answer to everything appears to be Ardents this year, though I am still on my BC Mountain Kings and am happy with these.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is available two types of tread, the block one the MTB which is only an all terrain, the Smart Sam Plus is more of a proper mountain bike tyre is it not? Thought the MTB tread was based on their Alpine tyres and others simplified, is that wrong??
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Schwalbe rocket ron up front and racing ralph up back seem to be a popular combo.

I currently have a pair of rocket ron fitted which seem pretty decent, fast rolling and llight compared to the draggy kenda ones my bike came with, and can cope with a bit of rough stuff too.

They are more cross country tyres though so as suggested above, if you are generally riding hard ground you might be better looking for a tyre with a solid or semi solid centre tread, with some knobbles on the outer sides.

Edit; I went for the folding version, mainly due to the weight saving over the wired ones, but they have the added bonus of being really easy to fit, you can fit and remove them by hand as opposed to using leavers if you partially inflate the tube.