Giant MPH hydrolic disc brake jammed on..

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
philstu

Re: Giant MPH hydrolic disc brake jammed on..

Post by philstu »

prm. What a blinding recommendation. I was at a loose end and viewing internet cycle sites to buy replacement brakes but after reading your suggested fix and a little bit of trial and error I managed to get the hydraulics dismantled and repaired. The brakes work a treat and the adjustment screw is smooth and functional. One suggestion I might make that I found useful was that two 2.00 mm Allen Keys fit into the holes and I was able to apply sufficient strength to get them moving without resorting to a hammer or some other clumsy tool. The same in reverse.

Thanks, saved me money and time and improved my education on cycle repair!
prm

Post by prm »

Philstu

Well done with the hydraulic repairs.
My pleasure to be able to help via the forum.

Regards
brucemcmillan

Post by brucemcmillan »

Hi,

Just a note to say thanks, just came across this when having a recurring problem with my old mountain bike and never been really bothered to get it sorted (it's not that hilly to the pub )

But was playing this afternoon and finally got around to fixing it.

Couldn't work out why it wasn't working, then if finally dawned on me that the plunger wasn't supposed to be tightly screwed onto the thread !! Doh !!

Thanks again

B...
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Its It's common in the hot weather on the MPH. If the adjusting wheel on the master cylinder doesn't have enough adjustment to cure it then crack open the bleed nipple on the caliper and let out a tunt dribble of fluid.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.