Driver gave me plenty of room this morning...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elizabethsdad

Driver gave me plenty of room this morning...

Post by Elizabethsdad »

... by driving up onto the pavement to get by while I was passing parked cars. I might have got his number at the give way that s/he came to 3 seconds later but they slowed up for maybe a second before shooting off. so sadly can't report it. Just glad no one was on the pavement or they would have been squished.
Valbrona

Re: Driver gave me plenty of room this morning...

Post by Valbrona »

Women don't do things like that.
I should coco.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Valbrona wrote:Women don't do things like that.

:roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Valbrona wrote:Women don't do things like that.

Sadly, yes they do. I have seen - and been on the receiving end of - plenty of examples of inconsiderate, dangerous, intimidating and/or abusive driving and behaviour from women as well men. Also age, size, race and apparent class/wealth all just as likely to have the mindset 'Must get in front of the cyclist at all costs - shouldn't be on the roads anyway' Probably religion isn't a factor either nor I suspect intelligence.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mounting the pavement was commonplace along a section of my former commuting route, a narrow-ish residential road with cars parked bumper-to-bumper all along one side, often with no gaps into which a car may duck. But the scenario was most likely to be two cars approaching each other, and the only way they could pass was for the one nearer the pavement to mount it (or a lengthy reverse). I, on my bike, would of course have to simply wait for them to finish their manoeuvres. But on the scale of motorists' sins, I'd regard this as pretty venial, provided that they take every care to give way to pedestrians.

Your incident sounds different though, it bears all the hallmarks of Mr M'Gif who Must Get In Front at all costs... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

661-Pete wrote:Mounting the pavement was commonplace along a section of my former commuting route, a narrow-ish residential road with cars parked bumper-to-bumper all along one side, often with no gaps into which a car may duck. But the scenario was most likely to be two cars approaching each other, and the only way they could pass was for the one nearer the pavement to mount it (or a lengthy reverse). I, on my bike, would of course have to simply wait for them to finish their manoeuvres. But on the scale of motorists' sins, I'd regard this as pretty venial, provided that they take every care to give way to pedestrians.

Your incident sounds different though, it bears all the hallmarks of Mr M'Gif who Must Get In Front at all costs... :evil:

On your route I guess the cars would get by each other moving slowly and carefully. In my case the car just went straight up onto the pavement without slowing down. When the driver got to the junction s/he paused for maybe second before pulling out and speeding off up the road. Hardly what I would call driving with due care and attention.