Red light jumper arrested fined and point on licence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Red light jumper arrested fined and point on licence

Post by reohn2 »

Tom Richardson wrote:I'd like to see the police able to implement fines like this and use the money to fund the police force. Police numbers are being cut to reduce the cost of the police force - it would be a way to make up the funding. And It would be a step in the same direction as other public services too so maybe not entirely unimaginable.

There's a regular complaint about the police raising money by persecuting innocent people by catching them breaking the law but I think that makes sense. Rather than me paying for the protection I get from the enforcement of the law it makes more sense to me that people who can't self regulate should pay for it through fines.

Great in theory but open to abuse in practice.
It'd be a bit of a beggar to expect the police to earn their salary as a direct result of fines handed out :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Most junctions in Germany where there are separate traffic lights for cyclists (and there are very many) then the cyclists do get a few seconds to get underway before the main lights turn green. As for being arrested for red-light jumping; I doubt it. The police may well stop cyclists for red-light jumping in Germany (if they are bored) but to get arrested means something more went on. If you have spent any time in Germany, you'll know that cyclists who stop at red lights are in the tiny minority. The Germans may well be disciplined in some ways, but their use of bicycles leaves much to be desired.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have known my German friend for years. Presently he is dying from stomach cancer that has spread to his liver. Why on earth would he tell me this if it wasnt true? As well as his health he has two teenage boys to bring up. [ Edited ]

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
Tom Richardson wrote:I'd like to see the police able to implement fines like this and use the money to fund the police force. Police numbers are being cut to reduce the cost of the police force - it would be a way to make up the funding. And It would be a step in the same direction as other public services too so maybe not entirely unimaginable.

There's a regular complaint about the police raising money by persecuting innocent people by catching them breaking the law but I think that makes sense. Rather than me paying for the protection I get from the enforcement of the law it makes more sense to me that people who can't self regulate should pay for it through fines.

Great in theory but open to abuse in practice.
It'd be a bit of a beggar to expect the police to earn their salary as a direct result of fines handed out :shock:

Quite. It'd be a very unjust system of justice if the police had a direct financial interest in seeing people fined, particularly for the sort of offences where the only evidence is the word of the officer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I regularly jaywalk. Howabout you(s)?

Not quite sure on the rules is rules business. Should pedestrians only cross at signalled crossings? And if we have a Highways Code savant or legal expert here,urban pedestrian law: when/where to cross road when/if a mechanically signalled crossing is operational,within sight or within a given mileage??

I am always impressed how the might of the Law is impressed on the small guy,whilst our white collared gangsters go free. 6 months for the black guy in the Toxteth riots for handling his friends white trainers. Stolen Mars bar to stave off hunger,person registered with the food bank: another 6 months! Meanwhile at The House of Fraud...escape jail,collect £300 on the Way Out.

I'll eat that Snickers bar now. Feel a bit cranky :?
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

"Highway code savant" lol. They know all the rules... they just don't understand why they are implemented - so best to just follow them all no questions asked.

If it really was three full seconds he should be getting fined, that is pretty absurd. Its bad enough when it is half a second.

You know who does run red lights a lot?

Buses. Many a time I have been on a bus and it runs the red light. You think "nice one, I am on this bus" then you think heh I am getting where I want to go a bit quicker, at least. Then they pull into a bus stop for 10 minutes so their schedule matches up. :roll: I got told by a bus driver buses being too early is a far worse thing than buses being too late, that's good standards isn't it lol.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manc33 wrote: I got told by a bus driver buses being too early is a far worse thing than buses being too late, that's good standards isn't it lol.

I suspect that's because if a bus is on time or late it'll collect more passengers than if it's early
W H Auden
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

tyreon wrote:I regularly jaywalk. Howabout you(s)?
Nope: I live in the UK, not USA (thank god) ;)
"42"
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

reohn2 wrote:
Manc33 wrote: I got told by a bus driver buses being too early is a far worse thing than buses being too late, that's good standards isn't it lol.

I suspect that's because if a bus is on time or late it'll collect more passengers than if it's early

It's because if a passenger arrives at the bus stop say 2 minutes before the scheduled time and the bus has already gone they won't be best pleased. I've had this happen to be more such that I had to go to the bus stop 10 minutes before the scheduled time, at which point it invariably arrives late and it gets to being that you're spending more time waiting for the bus than on it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It's because if a passenger arrives at the bus stop say 2 minutes before the scheduled time and the bus has already gone they won't be best pleased. I've had this happen to be more such that I had to go to the bus stop 10 minutes before the scheduled time, at which point it invariably arrives late and it gets to being that you're spending more time waiting for the bus than on it.

That was my meaning.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I appreciate that this (OP) incident took place in Germany NOT the UK.

I understood that in the UK, should you be caught committing a road offence that you could not be given points on your driving license. Assuming that is the case (I'm no expert, just what I've read/picked-up), what would happen if somebody with a UK license got booked for the same offence in Germany ? (points on their UK license). Or somebody from the UK without a license (probably similar situation to somebody with a UK license) ?

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Someone in authority would need to toss a coin.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
hondated

Post by hondated »

al_yrpal wrote:I have known my German friend for years. Presently he is dying from stomach cancer that has spread to his liver. Why on earth would he tell me this if it wasnt true? As well as his health he has two teenage boys to bring up. [edited]

Al

On holiday in GIB al so only just read this.Well said and very sorry to read of your friends illness. I cannot imagine why any of us regular forum users would need to tell lies anyway. Ted
Last edited by hondated on 8 Sep 2015, 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Psamathe wrote:I appreciate that this (OP) incident took place in Germany NOT the UK.

I understood that in the UK, should you be caught committing a road offence that you could not be given points on your driving license. Assuming that is the case (I'm no expert, just what I've read/picked-up), what would happen if somebody with a UK license got booked for the same offence in Germany ? (points on their UK license). Or somebody from the UK without a license (probably similar situation to somebody with a UK license) ?

Ian

Its years ago now but I remember stories of people being prosecuted for cycling whilst drunk and having points put on their driving licence. Does anyone else remember hearing that and if so do you think it was true.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Ian[/quote]
Its years ago now but I remember stories of people being prosecuted for cycling whilst drunk and having points put on their driving licence. Does anyone else remember hearing that and if so do you think it was true.[/quote]

Not if it was here. In some countries that can happen.