Red light jumper arrested fined and point on licence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Red light jumper arrested fined and point on licence

Post by al_yrpal »

Actually, this was the fourteen year old son of my friend in Augsburg. He jumped the red light by three seconds on his bike and was arrested by the cops who stopped all the traffic. He was fined 100 Euros and now has one penalty point on his driving licence which he hasnt got yet because he is too young to drive. Just shows how seriously this sort of behavior is taken in Germany.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 3 Sep 2015, 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jezer

Re: Red light jumper arrested fined and point on licence

Post by jezer »

I assume they take the same stance with motorists?
Power to the pedals
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Good oh on the fine - it is a great pity that our traffic cops (where they still exists) and magistrates aren't more strict for all traffic offences who ever commits them.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maybe they awarded the points in expectation of his driving in the future .......................... so if the cyclist had been a one legged one eyed severely crippled person incapable of driving a car but still guilty of cycling through a red light, he'd have received an even larger fine?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Actually, this was the fourteen year old son of my friend in Augsburg. He jumped the red light by three seconds on his bike and was arrested by the cops who stopped all the traffic. He was fined 100 Euros and now has one penalty point on his driving licence which he hasnt got yet because he is too young to drive. Just shows how seriously this sort of behavior is taken in Germany.

Al

very strange. You can imagine the scenario - boy keeps on doing this or other and then later applies for his driving license and immediately gets a ban :cry: :lol: very silly German logic. Its about time that the lights allowed cyclists to be on their way before motor vehicles? 5 seconds enough to turn right?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

How daft is that? If it IS the law that cyclists get 5 seconds of grace, getting bikes away first IS fine, but its not.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

jezer wrote:I assume they take the same stance with motorists?

Absolutely.

I know someone who had the cops call to his office in the afternoon because a pedestrian claimed he, while driving, had not given way at a pedestrian crossing. My friend swears it was a very marginal call; the pedestrian hadn't quite reached the crossing when my friend drove over it.

He was offered a multi-hundred Euros fine or a driving course. As he was finishing his contract and returning to the UK he choose neither and simply left the country.

Years later, while transferring flights at Frankfurt, the passport control officer beckoned him into an interview room and he was relieved of several hundred Euros.

They don't mess about.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Different in Sweden. My old boss in my old job caught speeding several times over a few trips to Sweden. He got the letter from the Swedish police/system and filled in the details including his home address then they let him off because he's not from Sweden.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ArMoRothair wrote:
jezer wrote:I assume they take the same stance with motorists?

Absolutely.

I know someone who had the cops call to his office in the afternoon because a pedestrian claimed he, while driving, had not given way at a pedestrian crossing. My friend swears it was a very marginal call; the pedestrian hadn't quite reached the crossing when my friend drove over it.

He was offered a multi-hundred Euros fine or a driving course. As he was finishing his contract and returning to the UK he choose neither and simply left the country.

Years later, while transferring flights at Frankfurt, the passport control officer beckoned him into an interview room and he was relieved of several hundred Euros.

They don't mess about.

Whilst that example is OTT,which would we rather have,law enforcement or as it is in the UK,practically non at all?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Twenty years ago or thereabouts strict enforcement of laws on all sorts of minor criminal behavior in NYC resulted in a massive reduction in serious crime too. Before that, muggings and assaults were quite normal, today you can walk around all over the place in safety. Personally I think the Germans have the right idea. Sometimes the well behaved suffer a seemingly OTT penalty for a careless moment, so what?

Al
beardy

Post by beardy »

Sometimes the well behaved suffer a seemingly OTT penalty for a careless moment, so what?

So what? I can tell you what. It actually focuses their minds to be less careless in future, instead of bumbling along without a care.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beardy wrote:
Sometimes the well behaved suffer a seemingly OTT penalty for a careless moment, so what?

So what? I can tell you what. It actually focuses their minds to be less careless in future, instead of bumbling along without a care.

I quite agree,the punishment in the OP was,IMHO OTT,that was my meaning,though I'll like to bet he won't do it again :shock:
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

was he a serial red light jumper known to the peelers already?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:was he a serial red light jumper known to the peelers already?

Or it could be clampdown of such behaviour locally that people fed up with.
W H Auden
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

I'd like to see the police able to implement fines like this and use the money to fund the police force. Police numbers are being cut to reduce the cost of the police force - it would be a way to make up the funding. And It would be a step in the same direction as other public services too so maybe not entirely unimaginable.

There's a regular complaint about the police raising money by persecuting innocent people by catching them breaking the law but I think that makes sense. Rather than me paying for the protection I get from the enforcement of the law it makes more sense to me that people who can't self regulate should pay for it through fines.