National Cycle to Work day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

National Cycle to Work day

Post by horizon »

The Guardian says it's National Cycle to Work day:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ur-commute

I didn't think there was a dedicated day - or is there? (I quite like to think there is).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
TrevA

Re: National Cycle to Work day

Post by TrevA »

Cyclescheme have been e-mailing me about it for weeks. I was asked to pledge how many miles I'd be doing on my commute. I did cycle to work today, despite a dodgy weather forecast. I think it's only been around for a few years, not like National Bike Week.

Also, seems a strange time of year to have it. The weather was decidedly chilly on this morning's commute.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

horizon wrote:The Guardian says it's National Cycle to Work day:

I didn't think there was a dedicated day - or is there? (I quite like to think there is).

Well there is and CTC is a partner. I've done it.

By the way I don't understand your sign off at the bottom. Is it some sort of statement by the Vegetarian Peoples Front? Or really something Defra said? Or what?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ben@Forest wrote:
horizon wrote:The Guardian says it's National Cycle to Work day:

Well there is and CTC is a partner. I've done it.

I'm pleased to hear it. I thought it had been subsumed in National Bike Week and no-one knew for certain which day it was.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ben@Forest wrote:
By the way I don't understand your sign off at the bottom. Is it some sort of statement by the Vegetarian Peoples Front? Or really something Defra said? Or what?

Fair enough - I've deleted the reference to homeopathy which was a bit uncalled for - it really isn't bonkers at all. :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

horizon wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Fair enough - I've deleted the reference to homeopathy which was a bit uncalled for - it really isn't bonkers at all. :wink:

Oh, hadn't really understood that the first two lines were even related to the homoeopathy bit. And I still don't get the Farmer/Defra exchange. But I've cycled in so I'm probably a bit slow...
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Yes, I pledged to go to work on my bike today.If I was in work I would cycle but it's one of my rest days having finished nights. Best go and have a ride out this afternoon and pretend I'm off to work.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ben@Forest wrote:Oh, hadn't really understood that the first two lines were even related to the homoeopathy bit. And I still don't get the Farmer/Defra exchange.

I'm not an animal activist of any sort (except in a broadly conservationist way) but I was struck by the seeming idiocy of the badger cull and felt it deserved a mention in my signature. I do feel for the farmers but I'm not sure this is going to get them anywhere (much as they think it will).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

horizon wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Oh, hadn't really understood that the first two lines were even related to the homoeopathy bit. And I still don't get the Farmer/Defra exchange.

I'm not an animal activist of any sort (except in a broadly conservationist way) but I was struck by the seeming idiocy of the badger cull and felt it deserved a mention in my signature. I do feel for the farmers but I'm not sure this is going to get them anywhere (much as they think it will).

Thanks for the explanation. I deal with Defra (and the RPA) a lot so should have worked it out, I've heard some gems of wisdom from them over the years.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

TrevA wrote:I did cycle to work today, despite a dodgy weather forecast. I think it's only been around for a few years, not like National Bike Week.

Dodgy weather forecasts have been around much longer than that :wink:
fossala

Post by fossala »

I cycle 4 days a week, nearly 120miles a week! Today is my day off...
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:Also, seems a strange time of year to have it. The weather was decidedly chilly on this morning's commute.

I agree. It's also the first day back for Norfolk schools, so I suspect fewer people cycled today than usual in order to make sure Little Johnny/Janey got to school on time for his/her first day, although I did spot at least one mother-with-nervous-children who seemed to be taking their first ride to a new school.

That combined with the lack of any resources and their recent faux-pas to lead our local cycling campaign not to promote it much this year. It was much better as part of Bike Week IMO when we did stuff like "commuter challenge" time trials between a suburb and an employment area by cycle, bus and car... but then Bike Week seems to have lost its way the last year or two and seems mainly a source of group event insurance rather than a real programme of events.

However, BBC Radio Norfolk did cover Cycle To Work Day, so I spoke to them live just before 9am and an edited recorded interview may be broadcast in the 4-6pm show. I did try to get someone who cycles to work (rather than me, who cycles for work to get to appointments and travel links) but everyone who I asked needed to be at work before 9am, of course! I'm very blessed that the co-op supports cycling and lets me out for a few hours to support it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

fossala wrote:...Today is my day off...

+1, clearly bad planning by the organisers :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fossala

Post by fossala »

gaz wrote:

+1, clearly bad planning on the part of the organisers :wink: .

To be fair I write the rota. I can only blame myself.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

fossala wrote:
gaz wrote:

+1, clearly bad planning on the part of the organisers :wink: .

To be fair I write the rota. I can only blame myself.

Hope you awarded yourself a free breakfast!