Parking

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Parking

Post by Flinders »

It's £8 per day at Stafford station. The local roads have been made residents parking only to avoid people avoiding the charge.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

661-Pete wrote:
elmo wrote:On another note about the Salisbury hospital, when I cycle there I have to secure my bike to an open to the elements bike rack then walk past a lavish covered smoking point!!!!
Interesting, that, and really ought to be a basis for complaint. At our local, brand-new B&Q store, they provided quite adequate cycle parking: covered sheffield stands (yes! people do sometimes visit their DIY by bike!). But they originally had the staff smoking area right next to the cycle racks. I sent off an E-mail to the manager, complaining, justifiably I thought, that I didn't see why I should be breathing in tobacco smoke whilst I was locking or unlocking my bike. And lo and behold! The smoking area was moved elsewhere. Sorted! Thank you Mr B and Mr Q!

My local Tesco's renovated the front of the store and created a more covered entrance with a covered area at the side where the automatic doors opened onto. Then they put a smokers bin there right next to the entrance and where there was a seating area. Now you get the smell of smoke inside the entrance and further into the store. That led me to email a complaint. Nothing! I asked if they could move the bin and put up no smoking signs since it is too close to where people have to pass to use the store. A reasonable request I thought because TBH the covering, the bench and the bin all combine to make it a nice little smoker's den, but they could not care about that. Not a problem these days since we have started to shop elsewhere which is saving us loads each week (about £25 or more food saving per week). We still use the Tescos but only for emergency stocks.

I think you did well with B&Q and all credit to them for making the changes. Simple things that add to customers' experience for little cost.

I saw that programme and think it was a level headed programme overall. There is a tendency to make parking attendants out to be jobsworths out to make a few bucks but this programme didn't fall into that populist trap but presented the true situation. Some of these parking attendants are really just making the situation better through managing the use of parking facilities such as disabled parking. One programme in this series focussed on how it was illegal to park in a disabled space even with a badge if the person who's name is on the badge is not with you. Even running errands for them is not a legal use. The parking guy was just enforcing this quite fairly.
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

elmo wrote:
On another note about the Salisbury hospital, when I cycle there I have to secure my bike to an open to the elements bike rack then walk past a lavish covered smoking point!!!!

That's nothing - last time I went to Worcester Royal, I could not get to the covered bike park for smokers! (Things have now changed at Worcester - smoking is banned on all property and grounds of the hospital)
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

To be contrary...I quite like the occasional smell of the odd ciggie: maybe they have altered the constituents nowadays,but the odd whiff of a Woodbine or Camel? And wotsabout Gauloises or Gitanes? Nectar,surely. Then,was it Clan,the sweet smelling pipe tobacco? Heaven. Mind you a gaggle of chuffers with their filth isn't so good.

Anyone remember the smell of Clais Harbour when the authorities used to push out the sewers into the harbour? Lovely 'French' smell,it really welcomed you to the continent,you knew you were going abroad.

I'm for banning those cardboard air freshner jobbies in cars. And as for the air freshner plug in jobs in houses! Where H+S!!! NO NO NO
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Sorry,meant Calais.

And apologies for going off topic