Parking

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Parking

Post by reohn2 »

I've watched a program on parking on BBC1,two episodes upto now.
What has struck me as incredible,are the car parking charges at peripheral London stations £7.20p seems to be the going daily rate,equating to over £1,700 for a 48 working week annum :shock: for people using the train into work.
This incredible cost on top of their (overpriced)annual train ticket leads drivers to park in adjoining streets thereby clogging them solid whilst the station car parks remain half empty at most.
Incredible unbelievable! I'm at a loss.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tatanab

Re: Parking

Post by tatanab »

My local station (rural England, nowhere near London) was revamped and the free car park turned into a pay one. I think the charge was £2 a day. Result - empty car park. After a year or so they reduced the charge to £1 a day. Result - full car park. It holds only about 30 vehicles so does not do a lot to relieve the side streets of other commuter's cars, but I suppose it is some help.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Many London stations are within Controlled Parking Zones, so parking on a nearby street isn't an option.

How do they afford it? I guess those, who are driving from further out and then taking a train to the centre, will be among the better paid.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:Many London stations are within Controlled Parking Zones, so parking on a nearby street isn't an option.

How do they afford it? I guess those, who are driving from further out and then taking a train to the centre, will be among the better paid.

That's beside the point,that they can afford it doesn't matter in the least,anyone who doesn't use the station car park @ £7.20 per day is trying to save themselves £1,700+ per annum if they need to get to work,and is able to do that by parking on the nearby streets.
Isn't the real answer to the problem for the railways to provide parking for their customers free or at a reasonable cost?
Of course it then opens up the question of what is a reasonable cost?
Which is answered by the sum of £7.20p per day obviously not being,because the station car parks are only half full/empty and local streets are clogged solid with parked cars.
The same happens at my local station for a different reason,the car parks are full,and free,but inadequate for the number of cars needing to park.
This is a serious problem for people living near stations,especially when many stations have ample land attached that could be converted by the railways and costs passed onto rail operators,on station by station basis as a one off cost.
It's another case of profit before people IMHO.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Don't I know it! Exactly what you describe, is the norm at our local station (Burgess Hill), with the nearby streets chock-full of commuters' cars. I don't know what the parking charges are at the station itself, I guess they're pretty steep. I've never ever used the station car-park myself - or to be more precise, I've never paid to use the car-park. Sometimes I pull in there just to drop someone off, or pick someone up. Or if both Mrs P and I are travelling, with heavy luggage, I'll drive to the station, allowing plenty of time, drop her off with the luggage, then drive back home, park the car and then walk back to the station.

But I suppose, in this diverse and varied world of ours, there are bound to be a sector of the populace for whom a drive to the station, then leave the car in the car-park at whatever cost, is the way to do it. Beats me.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:It's another case of profit before people IMHO.

Is it the result of a fragmented system?

LU put their car parks out to tender. Our local station car park is managed by NCP (£5.30 per weekday). Presumably, NCP set their prices to maximise profit. Neither LU nor NCP concern themselves with local parking problems.

Do TfL have any say in the matter? If they don't, they should. If they do, perhaps they could rethink the policy. It's got to be complicated though, with so many agencies involved: TfL/LU, Car Park operator, local authority - all with competing interests.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

In my time I've parked near a few outer London stations for absolutely nothing.

Why pay for parking when you can park on the road for free and stroll a few hundred yards to the station?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My friend in the village pays nearly £3000 per annum to Park at Reading and his season ticket is over £4000. But, he has a very good and interesting job that makes these sums make sense.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
elmo

Post by elmo »

My young child is currently in Salisbury hospital. They charge £6.30 for a day. Car parking charges in Bath near the railway station was £10 and that was a couple of years ago. Luckily I was only passing when I saw the parking fee signs.

On another note about the Salisbury hospital, when I cycle there I have to secure my bike to an open to the elements bike rack then walk past a lavish covered smoking point!!!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

elmo wrote:My young child is currently in Salisbury hospital. They charge £6.30 for a day.

On another note about the Salisbury hospital, when I cycle there I have to secure my bike to an open to the elements bike rack then walk past a lavish covered smoking point!!!!

Criminal! :twisted:
W H Auden
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

No doubt it will be the same for the HS2 with sky high parking fees and people having to drive even further now than they do already to save those extra few minutes into that there London :roll:
I never quite understand why the vast majority of people drive to a train station in any case, sure if they live a long distance away from a station but really how many daily commuters whom come in by car live more than 5 miles away from their station, probably not that many.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

reohn2 wrote:I've watched a program on parking on BBC1,two episodes upto now.
... leads drivers to park in adjoining streets thereby clogging them solid whilst the station car parks remain half empty at most.

This happens right outside my house :x :x :x
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pwa

Post by pwa »

My nearest two stations cater for people commuting to Cardiff, Bristol and other places. One, in Bridgend, has a car park that charges something like £5 a day. But if that charge did not exist it is likely that that car park would be used by people working or shopping in Bridgend itself, leaving too few places for those using the railway. Bridgend has a shortage of good parking spaces. The other nearby station is in the smaller town of Llantwit Major, from where many commute in to Cardiff. There the car park is free. But across the road is a larger free car park for those using the local shops. Any charge at the railway station would simply push the commuters into the shoppers' car park.

I know some say the presence of abundant free parking in proper car parks generates more car usage (which may be true) but it does also help to prevent residential streets being used by non-residents.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

elmo wrote:My young child is currently in Salisbury hospital. They charge £6.30 for a day. Car parking charges in Bath near the railway station was £10 and that was a couple of years ago. Luckily I was only passing when I saw the parking fee signs.

Interesting, that, and really ought to be a basis for complaint. At our local, brand-new B&Q store, they provided quite adequate cycle parking: covered sheffield stands (yes! people do sometimes visit their DIY by bike!). But they originally had the staff smoking area right next to the cycle racks. I sent off an E-mail to the manager, complaining, justifiably I thought, that I didn't see why I should be breathing in tobacco smoke whilst I was locking or unlocking my bike. And lo and behold! The smoking area was moved elsewhere. Sorted! Thank you Mr B and Mr Q!

As for hospitals: well the cycle parking at our local A&E hospital - Princess Royal in Haywards Heath - is pathetic. A row of a few 'butterfly' racks under a flimsy shelter, usually chock-full of bikes already (shows that quite a lot of the hospital staff must be cycling to work) and nowhere to put a bike elsewhere. Another hospital which I visited frequently, about 13 years ago, when my late mother was a patient: East Surrey at Redhill, had at the time no cycle parking provision whatsoever. When I went by train/bike, I had to find a drainpipe to chain my bike to. I don't know if things have improved since then.

So what is it with hospitals? They're not just for seriously ill people. Many patients are quite capable of cycling there and back.

Oh, and best wishes to your child for a speedy recovery!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jan19

Post by jan19 »

AFAIK you cannot park anywhere near an outer London station for free all day. Maybe once, but certainly not now. I've been casting my mind around all the ones I can think off, and parking restrictions apply on all the residential streets for some way. We are within walking distance (15 mins) of our nearest station and our road is the closest you can get without any restriction.

A 15 minute walk is definitely beyond most people it would seem.

A couple of years back Sevenoaks Council decided to convert the cycle lane outside Knockholt station into a metered parking zone - didn't matter during the week as the cars just parked (freely) over the cycle lane anyway but irritating at weekends. £2.50 per day. At first nobody parked there, and I used the bike computer to work out the distance to the nearest place you could park for free (half a mile, also over the cycle lane :roll: ). It then appeared that a lot of motorists were driving to the next station towards London (Chelsfield) and were clogging up the residential roads there until Bromley Council sniffed out a money making opportunity and started installing meters around Chelsfield! Gradually the cars drifted back to Knockholt and its now as it ever was. All to avoid walking half a mile!

There is absolutely no cycle parking provision at Knockholt so that isn't a possibility.

Jan