The bicycle: good enough?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Brucey

Re: The bicycle: good enough?

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got disc brakes :mrgreen:....

er, shouldn't that read

reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got discs :mrgreen:....

call me a cynical get but I reckon there are no calipers.... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Brucey wrote:call me a cynical get but I reckon there are no calipers.... :lol:

A small concession to aerodynamics.

The whole concept is of course daft. In addition to the many problems Brucey pointed out, the faring is too rearward to get behind. Instead, it would dump large quantities of air at your chest, likely increasing your drag.
mig

Post by mig »

Brucey wrote:the dream of a fully enclosed bike is wonderful, but the reality is that every machine with a hard fairing I have ever seen or tried has been really noisy; a bit like being inside a dustbin whilst people are hitting it with something.

TBH I'm not quite sure I could stick that noise level all the time; to me it is just as intrusive as (say) the noise of riding on the rollers, which I hate. I quite like peace and quiet when I go out on my bike and I'm not sure I'd have it in any fully faired machine; maybe one with a fabric fairing would get 90% of the benefit without the noise?

BTW new materials might in the future reduce the weight of a robust bicycle significantly. However if a town bike went from (say) 15kg down to 10kg, this isn't that big a deal, not when you figure that bike plus rider plus luggage is liable to be 80-110kg for most adults on a commute.

cheers

why..er....have you been inside a dustbin whilst others whack it? :!:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got disc brakes :mrgreen:....

er, shouldn't that read

reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got discs :mrgreen:....

call me a cynical get but I reckon there are no calipers.... :lol:

cheers

You could just be right,I assumed(never a good thing)they were hidden somewhere in all that CF :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:why..er....have you been inside a dustbin whilst others whack it? :!:

Did you never have any fun when you were growing up? :mrgreen:

Sliding and rolling down pit slag heaps on old bits of tin,including old dustbins,even the bonnet of an old car were great fun wen a wer uh lad :)
We once found the bonnet off one of these:- Image
Turned downside up,half a dozen ragged arrised kids could fit on one no problem :D
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

nope. none of that for me. mainly "real tennis" & lawn croquet don't you know.
cicatriz

Post by cicatriz »

Like Twitter, Bicycles are more than the sum of their parts, even when the underlying technologies have a wide range of purposes and are advanced in their own right.

One way of looking at this is that for both, the underlying technologies will improve, possibly even significantly: e.g. material technologies for bicycles or semi-conductor technologies for twitter, but neither would have an enormous impact on the end-user. In this case, I think bicycles may have a bit more scope for growth because changes and advancements will, eventually, lead to cost savings that I don't see as being relevant to Twitter (unless you use it that much it actually has an appreciable affect on your electricity bill or data roaming usage).

However, I don't think there will be a change to bicycles that will get more people cycling in any great numbers. I doubt, even if tomorrow, a bike was announced that had been grown in a lab from some self-repairing, frictionless bio metal that cost less than a £100 that you'd see a huge upswing in bicycle use.

There isn't a lot you can do with twitter itself to get more people using it (even if you thought that was a good thing) - but availability of the technology to use it might. There isn't a lot you can do to get more using bicycles - availability of the infrastructure to use them might.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:nope. none of that for me. mainly "real tennis" & lawn croquet don't you know.

I had my suspicions :wink:
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

cicatriz wrote:Like Twitter, Bicycles are more than the sum of their parts, even when the underlying technologies have a wide range of purposes and are advanced in their own right.

One way of looking at this is that for both, the underlying technologies will improve, possibly even significantly: e.g. material technologies for bicycles or semi-conductor technologies for twitter, but neither would have an enormous impact on the end-user. In this case, I think bicycles may have a bit more scope for growth because changes and advancements will, eventually, lead to cost savings that I don't see as being relevant to Twitter (unless you use it that much it actually has an appreciable affect on your electricity bill or data roaming usage).

However, I don't think there will be a change to bicycles that will get more people cycling in any great numbers. I doubt, even if tomorrow, a bike was announced that had been grown in a lab from some self-repairing, frictionless bio metal that cost less than a £100 that you'd see a huge upswing in bicycle use.

There isn't a lot you can do with twitter itself to get more people using it (even if you thought that was a good thing) - but availability of the technology to use it might. There isn't a lot you can do to get more using bicycles - availability of the infrastructure to use them might.

+ 1 I think that was what I was trying to say.

And yet the big bike firms are constantly trumpeting new products as though they had re-invented the wheel. They wish.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote:why..er....have you been inside a dustbin whilst others whack it? :!:

not as such, but amongst other things as a kid it seemed like the best idea ever to climb inside a dustbin and then roll down a (fortunately small) hill.... :wink:

mig wrote: ....none of that for me. mainly "real tennis" & lawn croquet don't you know.

jumpers for croquet hoops...?.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Until you have been sledging (with half a dozen other kids) on a bit of wriggly tin off an Anderson shelter, you don't know what fun is.....